4.0 out of 5 stars Romance that will keep you engaged and invested to the end!
My Look:

Blair Nightingale was not supposed to be alone, let alone raising a child on her own, but soon, after her husband's funeral, Blair cannot help but wonder, whom exactly had she married?

Larry Nightingale wasn't a criminal--at least at first.

Published on March 13, 2012 by Eleanor Anders

1.0 out of 5 stars Possibly not worth the .99
Published on February 13, 2012 by Christy McCulloch

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Romance that will keep you engaged and invested to the end!, March 13, 2012
This review is from: Chocolicious (Paperback)
My Look:

Larry Nightingale wasn't a criminal--at least at first.

Now, she's finding out the man whom said marriage vows to her wasn't the same man in the end. All she really knew was that her husband started their marriage as a fun-loving, romantic, adventurous, ambitious man, but she's not really sure how it ended up that she was very much alone long before he died. At some point, Larry thought of her as little more than a trophy wife and her husband was always at work or going away for work.

However, the wreck her life just became was something she never saw coming, but she knew Larry's best friend, George, just told her she was about to lose everything and then went on to deliver her daughter, Rebecca.

Not too long after she gave birth, another man that she knows through Larry's business parties shows up at her door, with her immediate eviction order and a moving van. Without mercy, he tells Blair of Larry's theft and blames Larry's lack of life insurance for her current situation. No doubt about it, he wants what is coming to him and he has no problem telling Blair that what happens to her is not his worry or care.

Now, with a daughter who is only weeks old, Blair is homeless.

With the array of her limited choices threatening to cripple Blair, her sister wants her to move back to their hometown, but Blair sees that as not an option. She left that boring, small town life long ago, and she's not going backward.

Deciding to stay poses many other problems; she needs a job but has limited work experience and that dates back years ago.

Meanwhile, George Withrop can't help but feel responsible for Blair. After all, his best friend asked George to watch over his wife.

Larry should have thought about them before he stole all that money. Now, Larry is dead. Moreover, he left nothing for his wife and soon-to-be daughter but grief and debt, and George failed them too. George tried to reason with Reinhart and his attorney, but they would not listen. George didn't want Larry's wife and daughter to pay for Larry's deception, but it seemed he could do very little about it.

Calling her constantly to have the will read was like probing her fresh wounds, he knew, but it was the only hope he had left to save her from destruction. Unfortunately, this only increased Blair's hatred for him, leaving him without anymore options. He would have to deliver the news himself to a woman who could give birth any day that she is going to lose everything.

However, the best-laid plans can never happen without complications. Only minutes after receiving his devastating news, Blair's labor begins, but judging by her agonizing pain, this wasn't going to a slow birth.

Before the paramedics arrive, George has to deliver this baby and absorb the face slaps that he's received in the process from the hysterical woman. With the help of an emergency operator, via telephone, George delivers Rebecca and falls in love at the same time.

Although they shared a brief respite from her hatred of him, it doesn't last long. While she had slapped him silly, Blair yelled the reason for her hatred.

Blair believes that he was the reason her husband had left her alone, and she resents him for being with Larry at death, essentially keeping her from being by his side in death. These things were not entirely accurate. George was Larry's best friend and was indeed with him on many nights, but George had no idea that he was leaving his wife to be with his friend. He simply figured, as a married couple, both had been involved with outside activities and thought that Larry was spending free time with George. Yes, he was present when Larry died, but it wasn't the way she visions it. These two best friends had not always been close; in fact, they'd been distant.

Blair Nightingale does have every right to hate him, but she doesn't yet know those reasons. All he can do is hope she never finds out that George was the reason Larry died.

The day Rebecca was born changed both of their lives and he wants nothing more than to be by her side and help raise Becky as his own. Nevertheless, he needs to overcome her hatred and his guilt, and, most importantly, she needs to fall in love with him too.

My Take:

Geraldine Salon provides us readers with a romance that will keep you engaged and invested to the end. Her characters are both flawed and have made their share of mistakes, assumptions, and judgments, but they are both able to redeem themselves to themselves and others.

Blair realizes her marriage had been over long before her husband died but that she stayed in the imperfect union. Now, she's out to prove to herself that she can make it on her own. In the meantime, while George falls in love with the family that's not his own, I was able to fall in love with him. George isn't bad, but he became a fast friend with Larry maybe for all the wrong reasons. However, keeping his secret erodes George from the inside, but if he tells, he could lose everything.

I have no doubt that when you finish CHOCOLICIOUS that you want to read Geraldine Solon's LOVE LETTERS (January 2011). ***This read comes from a recommendation to my private library, but as always, I offer the opinion.***

5.0 out of 5 stars A captivating book, July 26, 2011
This review is from: Chocolicious (Kindle Edition)
Just like the author's first book Love letters, I was so captivated by the story that I couldn't put it down. Although this is not a rags-to-riches story, I felt Blair's hopelessness when she lost everything, her strength when everything fell apart, her resentment and love for George and the hope that things will be better. I got captivated from page 1 that I wished the story could go on and on... And there's the 3-layered chocolate cupcake that will really melt into your subconscious. It got me so inspired (read: craving badly) that I am now into 3-layered cupcake baking frenzy! Great read!

1.0 out of 5 stars Possibly not worth the .99, February 13, 2012
Christy McCulloch (Olathe, KS United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chocolicious (Kindle Edition)
I downloaded this based on the reviews - which were mostly positive - however I felt this book was not very good at all. It was so boring and predictable; the way it was written it was so, so obvious what was going to happen. And the sex scenes, where slang terms were used to describe body parts: I have NEVER seen that done in any book I have ever read and frankly it ruined any impact of that plot development. By the end of the book I couldn't care less what happened to these characters, and the ending was so cheesy! I read it through becuase I almost never give up on a book but I wish I had not wasted my time. I recommend skipping it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Definitely not the greatest book I've ever read., December 6, 2011
This review is from: Chocolicious (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book because of the reviews, and after finishing it I'm surprised it had at least 4 stars on every rating. I didn't hate the book, but I definitely didn't love it either. It is the rating I gave it--"meh".
While there were several misprinted words and incorrect words, we can't blame the author for that. It isn't her fault those things got missed. There was also needless sex. Also not the reason I only gave it so few stars.

It felt contrived. I know that's a fancy word critics throw around, but I truly felt like much of the story was forced in areas. I didn't believe half of the scenes or the actions of the characters. For a long time I wondered if it would even have an arc, follow any sort of pattern to not make it pointless story with no actual depth. When the climax finally DID occur, it was over just as fast. I'm sure there are many who will love this book, but for those like me who want more to their stories, this is a pass.

3.0 out of 5 stars Kritters Ramblings, December 23, 2011
This review is from: Chocolicious (Paperback)
Officially sitting on the fence in this book, a great story and I was moved to read until the end to find out where Blair would find herself in the end. Although there were something things that bothered me about the plot and the structure, so I think this is a good read, but I would warn that there were some things that I would have tweaked if I had been an editor

One change I would make in the telling of the story was throughout the book, the author quickly changed from speaking in the present to switching to a memory from the past, I wish there was a little more transition because at times I was lost whether she was talking about her current situation or was speaking about her past.

The other change is about the main character Blair. There were moments where from page to page there was something negative happening and it quickly get fixed, maybe a little too easily. At the same time, she was just a depressing character to read and just spent most of her time whining when things were coming together way too easily. Blair also had some weird character developments when she went from not liking a certain male to making out with him on the next page - I just didn't get it. I saw growth by the end, but towards the middle I was worried for her and her story.

In the end, this was a story that centers around a woman who has to pick herself up for her and her child after her husband tragically dies. She must obtain her first job and create a life that she loves, this part of the story was great to see empowerment in a woman and a drive to provide for her family.

4.0 out of 5 stars Chocolicious is delectable!, July 9, 2011
This review is from: chocolicious (Kindle Edition)
Interest: I've read Solon's first book Love Letters and wanted to read more of her work.

Title Thoughts: I love it!

Cover Thoughts: I like it.

WARNINGS: There is sex here and there.

There is just something about Solon's books where she can keep me wondering through out the book whether I will like it or love it. By the end of the book, I realized how wrapped around Solon's finger I was. Even though I had a feeling how things would go, Solon has a way of writing it that makes me get just as consumed in these characters anyway.

It's like someone told me once: It's not about the end result, but about the journey the characters have on the way. I really enjoyed these characters too. I really felt for Blair when she lost everything and I was able to really see how she saw things. I was able to connect with her even though I couldn't relate to being a single mom. I can relate to going through hardships, wanting to be independent and getting through tough times.

That is really what this book is about. Not to mention, the chocolate factor added in. It reminds me of Darien Gee's Friendship Bread. This family connected through chocolate and it just reminds me that food is an important part of our lives and we can use it to learn about life and be close to our family.

Addict's Last Words: Chocolicious is a book about getting through tough times, learning that accepting help doesn't make you weak, and that chocolate, with family, can help you through anything.

To Buy or To Borrow: I enjoyed this book too much and therefore, this is a buy for me. Keep an eye out for this book because it will be available in more formats soon.

Favorite Quote: "May your life be filled, as mine has been, with love and laughter; and remember, when things are rough all you need is ... Chocolate."

Disclosure: A copy of this book was provided for me by the author. No payment was received by me in exchange for this review. There was not any obligation to write a positive review. All opinions expressed here are entirely mine and may not necessarily agree with those of the author, the book's publisher and publicist, or the readers of this review. This disclosure is in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255, Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unrealistic, February 8, 2013
This review is from: Chocolicious (Kindle Edition)
I laughed during many unrealistic parts of the book such as Blair deciding to sell her car and within 5 minutes sells it for cash outside her apartment. I don't know how to explain it besides it being poor writing and odd resolutions to characters issues.

4.0 out of 5 stars very entertaining and heartfelt story!, June 19, 2014
This review is from: Chocolicious (Kindle Edition)
I identified with the life events that Blair goes through. Her hardship and challenges are what we may all go through. The intertwined stories of all the characters are well meshed together to make a great story!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars good romance book, March 3, 2014
This review is from: Chocolicious (Kindle Edition)
A good relaxing book to read - no shockers or surprises here but a nice story line. A good easy to read book

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy read, January 27, 2014
Linda Keefe (West Plains, MO, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chocolicious (Kindle Edition)
Fun read. Chocolate is always good. Happy ending, but really didn't need explicit sex scenes. Recipes would have been good.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›