Customer Discussions > Mass Effect 3 forum

Choices at the end (Spoilier of course)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 32 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 26, 2012 6:01:48 AM PDT
During the ending I listened to the kids spiel and he told me about the choices I could make, which were Synthesis( I thinks that how you spell it?), destroy, or control . Well when the cut scene ended I started limping towards the light, another cut scene started, and Sheperd jumped in the light. I never got to choose what I wanted to do. The game picked the destroy ending for me. So my question is at what point do I get to make the choice? Did I miss it somehow? I didn't recall getting an option wheel at any time while the kid was speaking or after. Like I said after the kid was done talking, I limped toward the light and ending cut scene started with the destroy ending.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2012 6:06:10 AM PDT
Rockhardly says:
There are three ways to go - straight ahead to the light, to the left to control, to the right to destroy.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2012 6:10:57 AM PDT
Thanks for the reply. Jeez I must be an idiot didn't realize I could do anything but walk straight. I walked straight towards the light and swore that was the destroy ending but you're saying that was not? What ending did I see then? I saw the reapers blow up and all the mass relays explode.

Posted on Mar 26, 2012 6:20:59 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 26, 2012 6:24:29 AM PDT
Mike Snyder says:
Don't feed bad. I had to replay the ending before I realized that the scene was showing you which choice is which. It showed the right side (red) with Anderson blowing things up. The the left side (blue) with TIM controlling the reapers. Then the center, with (Shepard?) jumping in for synthesis.

For me, the whole scene was powerful enough that I didn't even catch on to that until the second time. I chose blue because it seemed the Paragon choice.

You got the synthesis ending. The reapers lifted off Earth -- they didn't blow up.

The only criticism I buy into is that the results of these very different choices are shown in pretty much the same way. I don't want a different ending, and don't personally need more resolution and closure, but I'd be fine with an ending that expands on each of these and emphasises the differences if the so-called die hard fans (and I'm not one, because I liked how it ended?) would accept that.

Posted on Mar 26, 2012 6:25:34 AM PDT
Mike Snyder says:
Also, the relays were going to be destroyed no matter what. The catalyst tells you that releasing the power of the crucible will do that.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2012 6:35:01 AM PDT
Thanks. I'll have to check it out later when I get a chance. Now that you mentioned it I do recall them lifting off earth. I just assumed because it showed the relays blowing up it was the destroy ending. So do the relays blow up no matter what you choose? That's pretty disappointing that each ending is not dramatically different as it should be from what you're saying. As for the Choices, I guess I'll need to load my last save and pay attention better. I was just expecting a Choice Wheel to pop up like we got every other time we made had to make a major decision. Was it really that obvious on what to do? Man I must have been half asleep if it was. It was late when I finished the game

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2012 7:02:03 AM PDT
Mike Snyder says:
In your profile, there should be an option to restart the Crucible run under the "load" menu. This will put you at the point where Shepard gets up after being knocked down. It's the slow-mo bit running into the beam. From there, it's the bit on the Citadel and the ending.

It's a shame that it wasn't clearer which choice is which, yeah. On the second time through, it seemed obvious. The explanations of each are delivered over the scenes I described, and the appropriate entry point is focused to help you. But I didn't pick up on it the first time. Maybe because I wasn't expecting it, and hadn't already heard the choices? I like how it was done -- no choice wheel, no HUD interference at all, making it more impactful -- but I'm obviously not the only one who wasn't sure which was which.

IMO, if they're going to change things at all, I'd prefer it be done subtley. A little better clueing as to which choice is which, for those who don't catch it initially. Maybe a minimal amount of additional ending scene content, helping distinguish the results of the three choices.

Posted on Mar 26, 2012 7:03:00 AM PDT
Brendan Ross says:
If you were half asleep, it's understandable. The ending, such as it is, is very much a set of monologues by the space brat, and it's easy to miss details on your first run through it (another failure in narrative, in my opinion, and an indication of it being rushed).

The relays are destroyed no matter what you do (another sticking point with many fans). The differences between the endings, in terms of what you see, are:

1. Synthesis (middle choice) -- Shepard becomes a bio-snythetic hybrid in the beam and is destroyed in the process, this creates a green colored beam wave that turns all organic and synthetic life into bio-synthetic hybrids (cyborgs, in other words), the green wave causes the reapers to lift off and stop the attack, the Citadel blows up, the Normandy crashes on a planet, and Joker (and some other crewmates) emerge as bio-snynthetic cyborgs.

2. Control (left/blue choice) -- Shepard becomes a reaper/reaper-controller and is destroyed in the process, this creates a blue colored beam wave that pacifies the reapers and causes them to lift off and stop the attack, the Citadel closes up again, the Normandy crashes on a planet, and Joker (and some other crewmates) emerge.

3. Destroy (right/red choice) -- Shepard initiates the destruction of the reapers, this creates a red colored beam wave that destroys the reapers and causes them to keel over in place on Earth, the Citadel blows up, [if you have very low EMS score, the earth is nuked by the red wave], the Normandy crashes on a planet and Joker (and some other crewmates) emerge ... and, if you have a very high EMS score, you get a cutscene of what looks to be Shepard lying under some rubble somewhere.

That's it.

Posted on Mar 26, 2012 7:05:49 AM PDT
Mike Snyder says:
For Synthesis, unless I'm mistaken, it's Joker & EDI and additional crewmates. The choice of EDI was -- even if the same can't be said of the other two choices -- indicative of the choice itself.

Posted on Mar 26, 2012 7:10:22 AM PDT
Brendan Ross says:
Yes. it's always Joker and EDI and one other crew mate in that case. What was more indicative of the choice for me, however, were (1) the bio-synthetic markings on the leaves at the beginning of that cutscene and (2) the eyes (and arms and neck and so on) of Joker, who is now obviously a bio-synthetic hybrid (and you can see the same in the eyes of the third crew member who steps out if you look closely enough).

Posted on Mar 26, 2012 7:19:49 AM PDT
Thanks Mike and Brendan. I appreciate the info.. very helpful. For me, in the Normandy crash land scene EDI, Joker, and Liara(my love interest) all emerge from the remains of the Normandy. It does suck all the relays exploded no matter what you chose. However, I read that Bioware intends on changing the ending in some manner and will announce something in April. I didn't totally hate the ending but I definitely think they should have made each cut scene dramatically different depending on which of the 3 choices you chose.

Posted on Mar 26, 2012 7:33:08 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 26, 2012 7:34:24 AM PDT
Mike Snyder says:
My two favorite bits from the ending are the Joker + EDI bit (I prefer the "green" ending), and the destruction of the mass relays. That was huge; not the end of all things, but something it's going to take a very long time to recover from. I had a strong impression of Dan Simmons' Hyperion/Endymion ending, with people being stranded far for home. Now they have to innovate; invent ship-based mass relays, or reconstruct the network, without sliding by on the advances made far before their time. I love that twist.

And it'll take generations to do, hence the post-credit scene. And that's just one of presumably thousands of new stand-alone civilizations out there. I can't stress enough how brilliant I think this is. Not that I don't "get" the complaints. I just don't share them.

Posted on Mar 26, 2012 7:44:58 AM PDT
Brendan Ross says:
Personally I am not interested in the potentially thousands of new stand-alone civilizations out there -- I liked the Mass Effect universe, which is now destroyed due to the destruction of the relays. I get the whole "you need to destroy in order to begin again in a new direction", but I don't care for it. I understand it, but I do not like it at all.

Posted on Mar 26, 2012 7:48:32 AM PDT
You know what.. I had the same exact impression about the Hyperion books when the relays exploded. I loved those books. I hope Simmons decides to revisit the universe some day. I know there is short story in one of his other books that I still need to read.

I like that the relays exploded too what I meant was that I think at least one of the endings should have kept them intact. Hopefully they release some decent DLC, which offers a prologue or some more answers. Although I don't know, which ending they consider canon for there to be a DLC continuation. I assume that hasn't been decided yet with all hoopla over the ending.

Posted on Mar 26, 2012 8:00:10 AM PDT
Mike Snyder says:
It seems likely that Bioware is going to offer an ending like that, caving in to fan outrage, but I prefer what I got. It felt perfect that there are bigger and stranger things possible in the universe, and at the end, Shepard could decide the form it takes but was powerless to prevent it on the terms he would have preferred. I didn't see this as flip-off to me as a fan with time and money invested in the game, but rather the culmination of all my effort to take control of something that was otherwise destined to happen.

I don't see how the entire ending could be changed, short of the "it was all a dream" theory. I don't think they could decide that a completely new outcome is canon, with so many people having already played it (then again, cough cough star wars extended scenes, cough cough) stranger things have happened.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 3:04:08 AM PDT
Kerome says:
"Personally I am not interested in the potentially thousands of new stand-alone civilizations out there -- I liked the Mass Effect universe, which is now destroyed due to the destruction of the relays. I get the whole "you need to destroy in order to begin again in a new direction", but I don't care for it. I understand it, but I do not like it at all."

Actually, in this case you don't really need to destroy to begin again, that's lazy thinking. It's a true-ism which does not apply here. Want a new franchise? No problem. Want to move Mass Effect in a different direction? Sure, why not introduce a long-lost relay which opens up a new quadrant of the galaxy, or an expedition to the Galactic Core.

Really, destroying the relays is just for the sake of dramatic potential, or maybe because the lore was convenient, and perhaps also to set up a situation where they can create another Mass Effect game with the same races (art assets) but under a new set of conditions.

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 6:44:02 AM PDT
lob says:
For one, having my LI step OUT of the Normandy in the final scene (not to mention she was also in my landing party) - felt like BW kicking me in the chest as i lay bleeding. Are you seriously telling me not ONE single QA tester didnt raise their hand and go - um that was my LI- and also that person was in my party - oh and that person should be dead. Really? Really? No its more likely the poor QA tested got told to hush as it was "over their head" and to scratch off that bug as invalid.

Two, i understand that some people prefer what they got which is cool and i certainly have no beef with that. But i literally sat with my mouth open in horrored shock for like 10 minutes. It facinates me as to such extreme opposite reactions from two groups - i am sure psych majors could have a field day with that. Plus any DLC ending if it does arrive is just a bonus for you anyway? No? Its like an extra directors cut ending? Or if you are that adoment, you simply will not play it and leave your ending be? You still cant lose?

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 2:03:42 PM PDT
FsuSwatt says:
all the endings were the same, so you didnt miss anything.. new dlc please?? :(

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 5:34:07 PM PDT
Peter Schaub says:
I completely agree with the OP in that I had no real idea wtf was going on at the end. I mean I understood that by going into the different lights I would be making a choice, but I couldn't see a difference between them.

The synthesis ending is supposed to be the paragon one, but who are you (as in Shepherd, not you personally) to decide that all biological life in the universe should become cybernetic? I personally wouldn't like that. I don't think I'm unique in that regard, either. The destroy ending makes sense, because the Reapers are (obviously) completely evil and their destruction has been your goal from the beginning of the games. So you would want to destroy them. But in doing so, you obliterate millions of lives and strand people in far-flung parts of the galaxy, most of them to presumably die. Great. Finally you can choose control, which we are led to believe is the evil choice because TIM wants it. You tell the Reapers to leave the organic life forms alone, but in doing so, you obliterate millions of lives and strand people in far-flung parts of the galaxy, most of them to presumably die.

That is why most people who finished the game didn't like the ending.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2012 7:20:57 AM PDT
I went back and walked right to do the destroy. So disppaointing. Taken at face value these ending leave why to many questions and all of them are extremly depressing. I dont think bioware will make a new ending like many are demanding. how could they? i thinik theyre going to end up selling some DLC with an epiloge that maybe answers most of the questions raised by the rush job ending.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2012 7:54:35 AM PDT
ragnarok0609 says:
synthesis is not the paragon ending. its a neutral one. all major/minor races are transformed to their highest evolution form and made equal so that the reapers dont have anything left to harvest. if you remember repears only harvest advanced civs so the weak ones can grow. now everyone is the at the same level so no scooby snack for the reapers anymore.

blue ending seems the renagade one here as space ghost kid is the one who controls/leads (probably) the reapers. so why would he want them to be destroyed. and red ending is the paragon as your readiness score ties directly to it and thats your whole effing mission from ME1.

evryone is ME universe who ever got close to a reaper got indoctrinated. if you listen to thevideo logs from the reaper iff mission in ME2 you will notice the cerberus agents hallucinating and seeing things after getting indoctrinated.so i dont expect shepard is any different since he is close to the reapers or reaper artifacts for 3 years. so the space kid could be a reaper indoctrination trying to confuse shepard with paragon and renagade choices and trying to save their ass as well (green and blue ending).

thats what i think abt the ending. BW fixing it is fine with me as long as they give closure about squadmates and why joker was in the middle of a mass relay jump ?? last we saw him he was orbiting above earth . or was he on his way to the citadel to help shepard ??

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2012 8:08:05 AM PDT
I'm sure they are going to sell us an epiloge in a few months. I'm guessing that was the plan from the start. Whatever they do they better have some good explainations as to what occured at the ending. Don't release the DLC if were all going be left with another WTF just happened feeling. I'm willing to fork over more money but I want some real answers.

Posted on Apr 3, 2012 1:36:00 PM PDT
I kinda think synthesis is the whole universe getting indoctrinated. I mean, if billions and billions and trillions of organic life forms get half-synthetic in a blink of the space-god's eye, that HAS to be Reaper tech, doesn't it?

Posted on Apr 3, 2012 2:19:16 PM PDT
Steven says:
Or space magic.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2012 2:22:02 PM PDT
My Reaper is a level 10 Magic-User.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mass Effect 3 forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  32
Initial post:  Mar 26, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 10, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Mass Effect 3
Mass Effect 3 by Electronic Arts (Xbox 360)
3.0 out of 5 stars   (1,849)