5.0 out of 5 stars Let the church say... WHT!?!?
Published on February 2, 2011 by Jason Frost

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Feelings - Hmmmmm!
Published on February 7, 2011 by L. Bishop

5.0 out of 5 stars Let the church say... WHT!?!?, February 2, 2011
This review is from: The Choir Director (Church) (Hardcover)
I'm standing here trying to put into words what to say about this book. Fun? Enthralling? Funny as hell? Sexual in a "church kind of way"? (inside joke). Either Carl Weber has a blessed imagination or... well actually there is no or. I've been impressed with this man and his storytelling since the day I picked up my first novel by him. I would suggest reading the other books in this series before you start this one. `The Choir Director' is a continuation of the happenings of First Jamaica Ministries, Bishop T.K. Wilson, James Black, Monique, Simone, and the new guy; Aaron Mackie. Now be warned, Simone will have you thinking that this is a full blown soap opera! This woman is a complete and total psycho mess!!

I have NEVER read about a church like the one described between these pages and I most certainly have never read about church people like this. Church people like the ones in this book don't need to be anywhere NEAR a church! The drama starts on page 3. Yeah, as in 1, 2, BAM!! This one sister drops a Hiroshima type bomb in the middle of church service and the scandals don't lose speed the whole way through. And to be a church, there are some freaks up in that mug. The new guy Aaron Mackie has been recruited as the new choir director. First Jamaica is having serious financial and after the mess caused by the leaving choir director (remember page 3?), they need someone to fill the pews.

Aaron has the looks and voice of an angel and is the perfect someone to help the Bishop and his church. But like most everyone in a Carl Weber novel he has a past that will floor you. There is so much deception within this novel and, truthfully, that was the driving force that made me finish this book a lot faster than I anticipated. Usually when you think of backstabbing, sexual scandals, blackmail, suicide, theft, and embezzlement you're reading an article about Lindsay Lohan's weekend. Not a supposed house of God. Come on now! I truly enjoy reading Carl's books because they are pure fun and total escapism! Despite the needs-medical-treatment disorderly lives these folks lead, I look forward to reading about them. I just couldn't ever go to their church. I want to escape from the devil, not meet him there and share communion. One other thing: I really like how Carl puts discussion questions at the end of his books. Unfortunately I don't live in an area that has active book clubs to discuss this man's work. So if anyone lives near the Central Valley and is looking for a male point of view... ummmm... hello...... :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Speechless, January 25, 2011
This review is from: The Choir Director (Church) (Hardcover)
I love the way the story unfolds. Its full of suspense and because its unpredictable makes it makes it an instant page turner. I couldn't put the book down...Well done Mr. Webber...well done.I thought this book was very well written. Its a winner...best yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full Circle!, January 27, 2011
LOVE2READ "TJ" (HOME OF THE CRABS, MARYLAND) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Choir Director (Church) (Hardcover)
This book was great it included several characters from other books together. Such as, Deacon James Black, Jackie Robinson, Bishop T. K. and his new wife. It was a great read that told readers what happened to a few characters that was great. I highly recommend the book. I enjoyed all of the twists and turns that led to a page turner. I read it in a day. Keep them coming Mr. Weber! I was very happy wirth the ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars What Would Jesus Do????, February 2, 2011
This review is from: The Choir Director (Church) (Hardcover)
Mr. Weber delivers his best book yet in "The Choir Director" Without giving too much of the plot away, this book has strong characters, a wonderful plot, and a lesson in every chapter. Weber delivers a real story in this book that pulls back the curtain of secrecy on the black church - the poltics and yes the sex. Weber delivers a story tht allows the reader to see what we should all know - that church leaders are people first and are NOT above experiencing real people issues. This is Weber's best book yet and I am so proud to read his work and to be a fan.
This book is done with taste, and class - something many black churches and their congregation are sorely lacking.
GET THIS BOOK!!! You will enjoy the story - its a story you can certainly relate to.

4.0 out of 5 stars Job well done, January 28, 2011
BABYGIRL (NORTH CAROLINA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Choir Director (Church) (Hardcover)
I was very excited to read this book. Mr Weber does it again!! It is a page turner. The story will keep you guessing and wanting more. If you are a true Carl Weber fan this is a must read. I can't wait to see what he does next..

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Feelings - Hmmmmm!, February 7, 2011
This review is from: The Choir Director (Church) (Hardcover)
Carl Weber is an extremely talented author and I do not hesistate to purchase his books. With that said, this story was just ok for me - instead of Good/Great. The title being "The Choir Director" is a bit misleading. I did not feel he was the core of the story. The plot here is much bigger than "The Choir Director." The story has a "Mystery" i.e., "Murder She Wrote" "who done it" feel to it, plenty of sensuality, church folks, and downright low-down and dirty people - all proclaiming to want what's best for the Church - EEK!. It is a quick and engaging read. The Bishop, his wife, Tia, Simone, James and The Choir Director all have stories to tell. Some you will relate with, while others you will either love or hate. Carl definitely did his thing, but I'm not sure I would personally call this his "best work."

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Reading!, February 3, 2011
This review is from: The Choir Director (Church) (Hardcover)
I couldn't put this book down. From start to finish, it kept me on my toes. I read it in the morning, at dinner, in bed! There were so many different unexpected things in this book, I enjoyed it!

3.0 out of 5 stars "AMEN", March 23, 2011
Mz.Moccaa (Bronx, New York) - See all my reviews
I am really a fan of Carl Weber but this book "Choir Director" just didn't move
me like his previous books.

I can see some characters getting away with some dirt but come on really!!!!.
Simone and Maxwell really over did it. I wanted to jump in character myself just
to get even with them. Why couldn't nobody figure out what happened to the church
money even when they paid for Aaron's salary. This was really far fetched but
I'm glad everyone got their just do finally. The first lady really would sleep with
the blackmailer just to keep her husband out of jail!!!!.

How come no one called the cops on these people. Simone should have been put in jail
a long time ago.....lies after lies and no one investigated anything. Poor Tia
acted like she never heard of the internet.

Come on Carl with the next book...........I'm still a fan.

This is Mz.Moccaa of D & K book club signing out until next time!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars It's just not the best I have read, February 21, 2011
I'm sorry CW but this is just one of your best written books. Something about the story line made everything feel too far fetched and rushed. Where you get caught up in one story line, he threw a curve ball... you wondering and hoping something juicy will come out of that, well CW will drop and go back to this other stuff. Too much going on for one book. I think he was on the right path, but somehow he was lost. I loaned it out to via my Kindle, I was adamant that it was not bought... this is a loaner book. Sorry, better luck next time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Carl Weber losing his touch, February 22, 2011
This review is from: The Choir Director (Church) (Hardcover)
I am a fan of Carl Weber. I enthusiastically read all his earlier books. They were fun, crammed with humor and twists. But judging from the last two books I read, THE CHOIR DIRECTOR and TORN BETWEEN TWO LOVERS, Carl Weber is losing his touch.

I found the characters of Simone and Maxwell to be cartoonish, irrational and one-dimensional. And their motivation for their actions was weak, to say the least.

I liked Aaron Mackie, the titular character. And I wondered about his connection to the two goons that were tailing him. And the reveal turned out to be a bust, for this reader.

The women characters weren't as brainy as I felt they should have been. After all, Mr. Weber's target reader are women, I assume.
So, considering that, shouldn't he write his female characters as quick and savvy and on top of things?

But that was not the case. Maxwell, a shameless neer-do-well, whose comic book villiany reminded me of JR Ewing from the old primetime sudser, DALLAS, tells Monique that her husband is a criminal and without a blink, she accepts it and does the unspeakable.

Simone, a known liar prevaricates to Tia about who Aaron is and Tia confronts Aaron and ends their relationship based on what emerged from Simone's lying mouth.

Some of that stuff came across like 60's soap opera.

For my buck and a half, Carl Weber is losing steam, but that happens to the best of 'em. After a while, many writers run out of ideas or their ideas aren't as fresh and imaginative.

Weber's prose and dialogue remains sprightly and highly readable, but sadly, the stories lack imagination.

The Choir Director (Church)
The Choir Director (Church) by Carl Weber (Hardcover - February 1, 2011)
$24.00 $19.47