5.0 out of 5 stars A no-brainer
Ever feel betrayed by your brain?

It's the day of the big test, and even though you've aced every practice test, you can't even get through the first few problems on the actual test. Or, you've mastered your speech, and could practically recite it in your sleep, and then on the day of your performance, you freeze. Or, you've been flawlessly making every putt on...
Published on September 15, 2011 by Deb

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I expected, though certainly not uninteresting
Sian Beilock, the author of "Choke," is on the faculty of the University of Chicago, a pretty impressive credential. She has ostensibly written a book that will help the reader understand why pressure situations often produce sub-par performances, as we have all witnessed from star athletes on television, and most likely experienced ourselves in other situations, such as...
Published on August 2, 2011 by klavierspiel

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book for an Elite Athlete, Coach or CEO!, June 25, 2014
I am the head coach of Columbia University’s fencing team and was the Olympic Fencing Coach for team USA Modern Pentathlon in London 2012. I am always trying to learn something different and to pick up new ideas to be able to add to my overall training of my team. Sian Beilock’s book “Choke” was an amazing read, both introducing some new concepts while reconfirming many of my ideas. Although I Am not trained in the science of sports psychology, I lived it as an athlete and now promote it as a coach. This book is a must read for any elite athlete, high level coach manager and even CEO. The key area’s and ideas to help alleviate the pressure when you need to perform your best are very useful and looking forward to share my new learned knowledge with the team.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear useful insights backed by significant science (Not just another "pop" business book to buy in the airport)., April 14, 2014
This review is from: Choke: What the Secrets of the Brain Reveal About Getting It Right When You Have To (Hardcover)
Choke is an important attempt to take an academic topic and make it applicable in the worlds of: sports, business and artistic performance - really "performance" in general. The constructs are complicated from a neuroscience perspective, but Dr. Beilock breaks them down into practical useful steps which I happened to use in a job interview two weeks after completing my review of the work. The book is insightful, very approachable and offers practical steps to the different means one can successfully prepare for different situations (e.g. an athletic performance being quite difference than a business presentation). As an academic myself - who is responsible for a high-performing team of individuals - I will make sure this book makes the rounds among our members. Strongly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, February 23, 2014
Very insightful. As a teacher and coach, this book has some great explanations for why people don't perform under pressure. No wonder our educational system is suffering, with all the pressures we put on our students, faculty, and administrators, it's no wonder we aren't performing at our best or achieving our potential. I hope I can use the tools and info in this book to help my students, players and colleagues find a way to not choke under all this pressure. Thank you for writing this book and thanks to Kathy Deboer of the AVCA for bringing it to my attention.

5.0 out of 5 stars read it when you're young. practical advice for being your best (or even just better), November 27, 2013
a very useful discussion the dynamics of stereotypes how to dispel them. Read it while you're young! It would have been an even better rad in my teens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, March 5, 2013
Sian Beilock sets examples and backs up her research. Her recommendations and tools will assisting in not choking for the next performance anxiety situation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book if you want to learn the other side of training., February 21, 2013
DICK HOGAN (Burlington, NC USA) - See all my reviews
I have read several books on how to increase/develop mental toughness in sports. Each book certainly addresses similar aspects of the mental training but Ms Beilock takes this to another level...not only explaining why we get in our way, the extrinsic sources of distraction that we would not normally consider as major factors, such as stereotyping, the proof that how pressure affects how we perform and and exactly where we perform from, and the fixes to allow us to get it right when it counts. This is an excellent book and if someone wants more that the bottom line on fixes...this is it.
I think this book is right for anyone who is serious about their sport and takes more than a casual approach. Highly endorse this one! RIH

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Timing, February 21, 2013
My brother recommended the book because I am 68 years old and a first semester music student at our local University. I literally "choke" when performing in class. Thank you for the much needed information in the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Should help to try and eliminate choking, February 20, 2013
Gary R. North (Pocatello, IDAHO United States) - See all my reviews
A bit long, but she has numerous tips and examples that can help prevent choking in sports, the classroom, and in business.

4.0 out of 5 stars Used this in some research, January 21, 2013
I used this book as a part of my class in asult education. It was interesting and gave me good information that fit my research.

4.0 out of 5 stars Choke, September 24, 2012
Not done with it yet, but it is a good book. I was watching this book when it first came out. I just couldn't see spending 25-30.00 for it. Now that it has come down in price, I decided to pick it up. I do a lot of tournaments and run my own company. I was more or less getting it to see what they think about this topic and if there was anything I was doing wrong. It wasn't to big of a concern for me, just something I wanted to know about. Which is probably why I did not want to spend the 30.00 for it brand new 2 or 3 years ago. Anyways, It is worth the money if this is something you feel you need to work on.

Used & New from: $1.58