5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Cholesterol Home Test
Published on May 28, 2007 by Kevin L. Thomas

3.0 out of 5 stars CholesTrak Home Chosesterol Test
The results of the CholesTrak and the results from the hospital, taken within the same hour, do not match. I've done the Cholestrak 4 times - twice within the time frame of the hospital. There was a 60 point differential on total cholesterol, with CholesTrak being the lower number.

Published on August 5, 2005 by Sandra R. Palmer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars CholesTrak Home Chosesterol Test, August 5, 2005
This review is from: Cholestrak Total Cholesterol Home Testing Kit (Health and Beauty)

Although it is not accurate, the Cholestrak does give an indication of whether I'm going in the right direction with my food choices and exercise. When my cholesterol was 320 from the hospital, Cholestrak registered about 250. When I reduced my cholesterol to 245 per the hospital, Cholestrak registered 187.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Cholesterol Home Test, May 28, 2007
I have used Cholestrak to measure total cholesterol about 20 times over the past few years, and always found it to be easy to use, and very accurate. The accuracy was always within 10% of a follow up laboratory test. There was one time when I used an old Cholestrak test which was taken more than 2 years after the expiration date on the package, and that result was low by 25%. I have had so much success with Cholestrak, I feel the other reviewers are probably not following the instructions in the test kit.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very hard to use, not sure if it's really accurate, June 20, 2005
The packaging of CholesTrak claims you can find your total cholesterol level in 12 minutes, and that the result is as accurate as lab tests -- about 97%. My experience so far has been less than thrilling.

First, I found the test very difficult to use. On paper, you just prick a finger, drop some blood into the test kit, wait three minutes, pull a plastic tab to start the reaction, and find your cholesterol level in 10 minutes or so.

In reality, the test doesn't always work. My first test did not show any result whatsoever. The thermometer-like cholesterol meter didn't change color at all. I had followed the instructions very carefully. My conclusion was there was something wrong with the kit.

My second test was a little better, although I had to sacrifice another finger to the painful pricking. (Each package comes with two tests, each test has its own finger-pricking needle, band-aid, and test platform.) The plastic tab is very difficult to pull; I almost spilled some blood when I pulled it. This time I got the reaction to work, but the color was very difficult to see even under direct light. The real problem: my test result on this kit was much lower than my lab-test result from last week. So this calls into question how accurate CholesTrak really is.

While the idea of testing your cholesterold level (total only, no HDL/LDL breakdown) sounds great, CholesTrak simply fails to deliver. It's pretty much a waste of money.

2.0 out of 5 stars Fair, but not accurate, January 14, 2011
I have been using these for years, as I have cholesterol problems, and take statin drugs and have cholesterol tested by my doctor twice a year. I just wanted something to check it inbetween the professional tests.

Accuracy is no where close to the lab results. I have used this test immediately before and after a blood draw for the lab (30 minutes before and 30 minutes after) and this test is way low. My lab test will show total cholesterol at 190, but this test will show 160. I use this test as a relative measure. If it shows my cholesterol is 190, I know that my real lab test will show it at 220 or show, and I have a problem.

Also, there have been times when it has failed to register anything. The instructions are confusing. It says that you time 3 minutes from the time the test area is filled with blood until you pull the slide, but what if you are not bleeding much, and it takes time from the first drop of blood until it is filled? Hasn't the blood begun to react with the kit when the first blood hits it? Sometimes the lancet doesn't draw enough blood, so it could take two minutes to fill the test area.

All of my doctors say they have not heard of this test, and know of no other test available to people. Too bad. This gives you some idea, but it's no replacement for a lab test. Even the test machines that some doctors use for screening are better.

1.0 out of 5 stars It did not work!!, September 8, 2005
This thing did not work at all. I have done it twice. The first time, color did not changed at all; the second time, the first indicator (the OK indicator) changed the color, but it never reach end indicator. So after pricking finger twice, there is no reading of cholesterol at all, not even an inaccurate one.

1.0 out of 5 stars ripped off, March 28, 2012
The directions are too difficlt to follow.You have to practice a number of times to get it right. It's too messy. I doubt if the results are correct.I wouldn't buy it again. Don't recommend it. Waste of money

4.0 out of 5 stars Reliable, December 31, 2009
ElCzort (United States) - See all my reviews
I've used this a few times and each time before bloodwork, It has only been off by maybe 3 - always under what the doctor's office results are. I don't have high cholesterol but I like to check things myself as I just don't trust doctors alot these days and all their pills, etc. Drug for everything it seems. Always good to have a second opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Repeat user here. Worked well every time., September 6, 2013
justasuit (Santa Clara, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I see so many poor reviews and wonder if the people didn't follow the directions very carefully. I've used Cholestrak 6 times (bought 3 boxes with two tests per box) over 5 years. And although it's kind of hard to read the results with a great level of accuracy, they have been accurate to +- 10 for HDL reading. Not bad if you want to just get an idea where you stand. One reviewer blamed the lancet for not drawing blood well. But I would blame the user for that, you gotta use the thing properly. I'm a wimp when it comes to pain and even I managed to do it well enough all six times. The directions are a little tricky so you have to read them carefully and then follow the instructions carefully. Another thing, the kits do have expiration dates. I wonder if some users used their kit way after expiration.

1.0 out of 5 stars No Stars! RIP OFF...be warned!, October 5, 2005
Rick (Colorado, USA) - See all my reviews
I am only indicating one star [...]

This product did not work for me either. After spending BOTH of the included "finger prick" devices to get enough blood to cover the black circle initially, I waited the 12 minutes or so...both indicators changed color as stated, but there was no reading! Nothing. I have almost perfect vision and I was reading this under a lamp with a 200w bulb.

I began thinking something must be wrong with this contraption and got online to read other's reviews.

[...]

I got nothing for the $15 I spent on this. All I have left is an unused second test device and nothing to prick my finger with. Well, I suppose I could play with the needle device and try and use it over again, but I really shouldn't have to...ya know?

I am going to start with Cholestrak in getting my money refunded. If I get nowhere with that, I will go to Amazon seeking refund and if that goes nowhere, perhaps I will be opening a dispute with my credit card bank. I advise the same to others who have wasted their money on this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cholestrak Integral Part of Cholesterol Control Program, December 14, 2013
Have used Cholestrak >15 years to monitor total cholesterol in conjunction with therapeutic time-release niacin and anti-oxidants regime, thereby avoiding pharmaceuticals (and potential side effects) for cholesterol control. Family physician recommended the approach (at 50 yr) and has been supportive throughout. Cholestrak was used extensively initially to establish appropriate balance between niacin dosage (1250 mg/day), cholesterol, and liver enzymes (SGOT & SGPT). Cholestrak results correlate well (~10%) with lab results (same day). It can be challenging to fill the blood well within 5 min. from pricking your finger. As fasting is recommended, I do moderate exercises soon after waking to get blood flowing before relaxing to perform test. It is important to adhere to 2-4 minutes specified before pulling out plastic tab. Implemented too early, test result is skew low. I have high confidence in Cholestrak, and the cost per test is trivial compared to lab testing. Do not use approach outlined above without your primary care physician’s approval.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›