5.0 out of 5 stars I've read the Pre-release through www.bean.com
And i got to say, that the tradition and style of John Ringo's writing kept me up all night reading the book on my computer.

Published on February 25, 2006 by R. Sturm

3.0 out of 5 stars Good
but it lacks much of what made the first two books a great man-centric read although it does have good action it seems like the john was a bit rushed when writing this one and just wanted to finish the series with it.
Published 13 months ago by mike j. justin

5.0 out of 5 stars I've read the Pre-release through www.bean.com, February 25, 2006
R. Sturm (Gillett, WI USA) - See all my reviews

Choosers of the Slain is a continuing book about Mike Jenkins and his "life" and his effects on people who enter it as well as those that affect him. In Ghost, After retiring from the service Mike starts to use his college benefits and performs a daring rescue of American women held hostage, he gets his reward on the death of several "bad" people and lives a life of luxury and travels the world where he ends up in Georgia. "Kildar" begins with him purchasing a valley filled with farms and tenants. The tenants are special in that they are a people different from the local population, i don't want to give too much away, but after training these people and doing a few local missions, "Choosers of the Slain" begins with more plots and intrique. From senators and pimps the action doesn't slow down.

Ghost, i purchased on a whim, my first e-book purchase. My second was Kildar, and now i bought this one as well. I can't wait to read the next installment, as there seems to be plenty of potential story lines John can go to from here.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm not a nice guy, but I try to be..., January 11, 2008
Such is the basic worldview of Mike Harmon, former SEAL and accidental medieval warlord. A lot of us in the uglier parts of the US military are there to channel our demons into something for the betterment of society. When your sole talent and love is plotting the deaths of your fellow men in as messy and artistic a way as possible, yet you're socialized enough as a human being to know it's "wrong", you might as well go where you're hunting for the betterment of mankind. I read this one right on the heels of Ringo's We Few, and saw elements of the conflicted Prince Roger in Mike. I know what it's like to want to kill someone so bad I could taste it, yet knowing it's just not cool to do so. Finding an outlet for those energies now that my active infantry days are drawing to a close would be nice. Too bad there's no valley of the Kildara out there for the rest of us old soldiers.

While it's a novel that deals with the ugly truth of the international sex trade, it's true that Mike has his own kinks and falls into situations where he gets to exercise them. My wife, a conniseur of such fiction, rates one scene in particular rather highly.

The trigger pulling portions aren't bad, but often soft on some of the details. SPR's aren't really explained for what they are, and I think there's too much use of the H&K MP-5, then again I'm not an admirer of any 9mm SMG for beyond room use.

The disclaimer in the front of the book, often overlooked, actually contains one of the funniest lines in the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Paladin of Shadows, July 25, 2007
I think John Ringo has a hit here, just as he did with his other series. I enjoy the books and feel that John Ringo doeas a great amount of research during the writing process.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brain candy, December 5, 2008
This review is from: Choosers of the Slain (Ghost, Book 3) (Mass Market Paperback)
Yes, this book is brain candy. Potato chips for the mind. So what? Not every book has to be freakin' "War and Peace". Mr. Ringo gives us the ultimate adolescent fantasy -- a super-warrior with a harem, his own band of warriors, all the weapons & gadgets he wants, Presidential support, his own brewery, and millions of dollars. (Having read what I just wrote, I feel a strong urge to shout, "Dude! Chicks and money and guns! And beer!Awesome!" I'll try to restrain myself. Heh.)
While the sex scenes are a bit overdone, the novel itself is quite enjoyable. I read it while stuck in an 8-hour plane ride; and I must say it was very entertaining. If you want a fast-paced, action-filled story that'll keep your interest, this book is for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hitting Stride, September 4, 2007
This was an even better read than Kildar. I will definitely be recommending this series. Good action all around.

5.0 out of 5 stars Complex, December 20, 2007
Complex characters and fun reading for those who think America is at war with a ruthless enemy and wish someone would use some force in dealing with it!

5.0 out of 5 stars best of the series so far., February 20, 2007
Great action with the added flair of the D&S. This book had more action and suspense than the 2nd book, and the depiction of the Eastern slave trade was fascinating, and sad.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but not as good as the others, November 4, 2006
Choosers of the Slain is a decent book and a slightly new departure for the Paladin of Shadows series, as Mike takes to tracking a stolen womam through the western European white slave trade with the aid of a squad of his Keldara retrainers. The core store is sound and like the second book, it is a single story rather then three short stories the way the first book was. As with the other two books in the series, there are some fairly graphic sex scenes - a bit too much for my personal tastes as it happens - and lots of guns, violence, and women. Overall I enjoyed the book a great deal, but I do have to say that it wasn't as good as either the first or second book of the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good installment, August 9, 2008
Ringo's Chooser of the Slain is another satisfying installment in the Ghost series. He continues to add to the history and culture of the Keldar and to add more events and action for the reader to explore.

The Keldar have been successful thus far as they are returned to their Warrior Heritage and Mike Jenkins, former SEAL, is growing in his role as Kildar. The pace of the story seems to follow a familiar pattern of status update, new threat, preparation for the new threat, initiation of movement, steps to conflict, conflict and subsequent danger... I feel like I am quoting the troop leading procedures.

My problem is that I feel like Jenkins is turning into James Bond who always gets the girl and comes out ahead in the end despite the losses and injuries he sustains. There are problems, true, friends get killed, true, but in the end it just seems like we know that he will be a hero and win. I guess that I want to see him break some new ground where his money and former SEAL skills don't automatically provide for a solution. That might make the story irrelavent....

It's a fun series and this book is a great installment as he rallies his troops to follow a girl into the bowels of the sex slave markets of the Balkans and finds that the reasons he has been sent are as slimy as the people who traffic in young women. Sounds like a James Bond movie, but it's still a fun story.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, May 2, 2008
What's to say, really. It's sorta Tarl Cabot meets Jack Ryan. Without the pages of goofy internal dialogue or the Russian order of battle.

ARRAY(0x952bb24c)

Choosers of the Slain (Ghost, Book 3)
Choosers of the Slain (Ghost, Book 3) by John Ringo (Mass Market Paperback - October 30, 2007)
$7.99 $7.19