4 out of 5 stars

Showing 1-4 of 4 reviews (3 star)show all reviews
on March 21, 2007
Format: Paperback
This is not a "how to build a chopper" book. It is a "how Billy L builds this or that, and sometimes 'why'". I've been out of the chop scene since my youth, so the info contained I found very interesting in a general sense and quite inspiring too. Quite a good book, but not great. If you like Billy's style of bike, buy this book. I certainly don't regreat buying it.
on January 17, 2009
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
Don't worry that I've only given it 3 stars, that's okay in my book. None of the other books would earn anything better. In my mind it needed more substance and details of how to do custom work, again like every other custom motorycle book I've seen. This is a better one, lol.

I've looked at several of these types of books now and I've found that no one book covers it all. Mr. Lane's book doesn't covery every aspect of bike building for sure, and on the topics he does cover the information is fairly high-level though stewn with details here and there.

I don't think this book is really about ego, corona ads, or whatever else that people have mentioned... All that was a result of it's casual and light style. But it's also truly not about building an entire bike. It's just about some areas of a build where Billy Lane tries to give you hints and tricks about how he does it.

If you are looking at building one bike from scratch for yourself, this book will not get you far. If you get several books and do a lot of Web surfing, you will get you some good information to get you through most every part of a build. If you are looking for a book to take you through every step with details, I'd say forget it, don't build a bike, have somebody else do it or buy a kit.

If you are looking to actually builds bikes as a business, you will not get anywhere with these books. They are still good to ready, but you have to have the ability and confidence to build a chopper without the books. The books are just actually ways for these builders to show you a project or two, and provide some details about what makes them unique. To get a business going, you have to be able to figure this stuff out in your head and turn it into something real. That's not the best way to design and build a bike, and I wouldn't advise anybody do it in their head... But if you want to be a professional builder, you should have that level of talent at least, which either you are born with or have to earn via experience.
on December 26, 2006
Format: Paperback
That's the beauty of online shopping, must of the time you don't see it before you buy it. The book is nice, but that's all. It has a lot of Billy's ego, but the tips I was expecting from a chopper builder like him were not in the book. I looks like a transcription of a OCC show and I really expected more. Not that I wanted a step-by-step book on "how to build a chopper" since I have already build my own without this kind of help, but I really expected those TIPS that only a guy like Billy could give.
on June 13, 2014
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
Very light on the technical information. Some interesting pictures showing Billy's strategy and method for building a bike. However, if you're looking for details on fabrication, engine builds, electrical work, paint, etc. this is not the book. While it's not completely useless, I see this as a beginner's book, or one that's already practiced in the art of fabrication. It provides a list of tools that will be helpful if you decide to try your hand at fabrication, but doesn't provide any info regarding the use of the tools. It also has some good advice regarding frame fabrication and the proper geometric relationship to the engine and drivetrain. I would recommend taking a look at the book first, if you can, before purchasing.