4.0 out of 5 stars Great story, but the writing...
Published on March 9, 2008 by Renee Lambert

The premise of the series is quite interesting though Zoey is probably one of the biggest and most annoying Mary Sue's in fiction right now. (Think Bella Swan sue but even more blatant...and yeah, I didn't think that was possible either.)

Published on March 29, 2011 by LadyTsang

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad characterisation and stagnant plot progression ruins an interesting concept, March 29, 2011
LadyTsang (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

From the moment Zoey has a dream in which a *goddess* basically tells her how awesome and unique she is, I knew it was going to be one of those books (Read: published fanfic)

And my god do these ladies try to make sure that we know how special Zoey is. As if the super pretty, super sparkly facial tattoos weren't enough...almost everybody she meets tells her how awesome, powerful and pretty she is (including the ever original Hottest Guy At School) and she manages to dethrone the one person who doesn't fall simpering at her feet the moment she walks through the door.

But it's this book when everything starts to really fall apart.

Let's imagine that this book was written from a male perspective and it was I dunno, all about Joey.

Joey hanging with his friends. Joey stringing along his high school girlfriend. Joey making out with his other girlfriend. 16/17 yr old Joey sleeping with his teacher after sneaking around behind his other two girlfriends backs with her....

Uh hello five star reviews....where did you all go? It would be pretty hard to care about a cheating player like Joey, wouldn't it?

Overall, it's really hard to care about or even like a protagonist as selfish, weak willed,immature and well, dumb as Zoey (especially when we're constantly told how brilliant she is )and the lack of an actual interesting plot and weak supporting characters don't really motivate me to pick up the next book.

The only characters with any real development are Stevie Rae and Aphrodite...but even they aren't enough to make up for such a terrible, unsympathetic lead as Zoey Redbird.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horribly Written with Terrible Messages, August 24, 2008
Okay I tried to like this book. I'm young at heart and enjoy a good high school story, but this one has a some glaring problems that I could not get past.

1. There are more run-on sentences and typos in this book than I have ever seen in a professionally published novel. Two sentences cannot be hooked together with just a conjunction. The comma is not optional. This mistake is nearly on every page of the book, at least every other page.

2. It is never okay to portray a student having sex with a teacher as a good, exciting thing. This book is listed as a teen novel. What worse message can you send than it's exciting and wonderful to get physically involved with the teacher? I'm no prude, but it's not cool for a young high school girl to make out with an adult male teacher. It's not even legal.

3. Zoey is a spoiled and unlikeable character. She'll make out with anyone with lips, and we're supposed to think it's okay bc she has a fleeting moment of guilt? Wrong. She's spoiled and cruel. If a guy were physically involved with 3 or more women at the same time he'd be portrayed as a player and a jerk, not a hero. It's not okay to toy with people's emotions in a relationship by cheating on them, and it's not okay to describe it as a fun thing. If it happened in the book with the attitude that it was a bad thing, then it would be different. Honestly if a guy were playing Zoey like she is playing them, wouldn't we hate the guy? Then how can we like Zoey without having a sexist double standard? In fact the only redeemable trait I can find for Zoey is that she wants to help Stevie Rae. That's just not enough for me. Who wouldn't want to help a friend in an extreme circumstance?

4. Zoey's grandmother was the most likable person in the book for me up until when she became a hypocrite. She seems to be an open-minded accepting person bc she is kind to Zoey when her mother is not. However she is angry with Zoey's mother and step-father bc they won't accept Zoey's religion, but then she makes a blanket comment about Christianity's main tenant being that things that are different are evil. I don't doubt that many people claiming to be Christians behave this way, but there are idiots in every religion. The main tenant of Christianity is "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." (Love your neighbor as yourself.) That seems pretty tolerant of everyone to me. I KNOW many people don't follow this, but if they don't they're not really a Christian at all. You can't criticize someone for being intolerant of your religion while making a snarky, incorrect, generalization about another. It is hypocrisy, and characters that we are supposed to love should not be hypocrites. I'm all about tolerance, but it needs to be tolerance for all, not just those that you personally like.

5. The twins behaving like they're in a Doublemint gum commercial for the entire story also drove me crazy.

6. Every guy is described in the same way. They're all tall and drop-dead gorgeous. It's like they're all mannequins from the same department store, except for the one Christian male in the story. Characters need to be diverse, and love has to be based on more than being gorgeous. Don't get me wrong. There's nothing wrong with beautiful characters, but they can't be cardboard cutouts. Each needs to be unique, and if they're a romantic lead they need to have other admirable traits besides being Zoey's lapdogs (or how's about a personality?). In this book it's one cardboard cutout that's been xeroxed a few times.

I can enjoy a great dark story provided that it's well-written, with likable characters, and a good message. Even the most brutal tragedy can have a good overall message. Chosen, however, had none of these details for me. I'm sorry to leave a book a one star review, but I can't bring myself to rate it any higher.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great story, but the writing..., March 9, 2008
Renee Lambert (Army base in Japan) - See all my reviews
The whole series is great, and Chosen, for me, has the best storyline so far. However, despite the creativity, a lot of the writing was irritating. Zoey turns 17 in the book but she and her friends talk like they are 13 or 14. I realize that this is a book for younger people but younger teens and preteens don't need to be reading slang and immature thoughts that could be expressed so much better through clear and descriptive writing. The plot is great and I do read these books because of that, but I wish that the writing style would be taken a step up. There's also a lot of side notes that don't really matter, like when Zoey said "I don't date girls" and then adds in her mind "Not that I have a problem with lesbians" or whatever. She's a powerful fledgling so she needs to act like one. However, the immature writing is the only problem I have with this book. Other than that, it's a real page turner with good plot twists and I enjoyed her love triangle...wait no, love sqauare.

4.0 out of 5 stars Being Chosen Doesn't Mean Everything's Easy, June 8, 2008
After having been let down by Betrayed, the second book in the House of Night series, I wasn't sure what to expect with Chosen. Would Zoey be able to save her undead dead friend Stevie Rae? Would she ever resolve the boyfriend drama? What about her rivalry with High Priestess Neferet? It had seemed we were heading somewhere, and I wasn't sure it was going to be worth the ride, but I plunged ahead into Chosen anyway. And I was pleasantly surprised.

Zoey's world is crashing around her in Chosen. She's still got the boyfriend dilemma (why on earth didn't she just stay with Erik?), and her relationship with young professor Loren Blake is still just icky. Heath's still around, still Imprinted, and Zoey's still confused. In fact, this confusion takes a major amount of energy and drives a lot of the plot in Chosen. Meanwhile, Zoey's relationship with her mother and step-loser continues to deteriorate, and there's another Full Moon Ritual coming up. Zoey's unsure what to do to save her best friend Stevie Rae, but she knows she must do something, and it's going to have to involve arch-nemesis Aphrodite. Sound like enough turmoil? It's not. Adult vamps are turning up horribly murdered, and war against the humans is about to be launched.

I liked that this book showed us another side of Zoey--the confused teen who is led by her hormones to do things she knows she shouldn't. Yet Zoey still wants to protect her friends, though they don't understand. I was disappointed in their treatment of Zoey at the end; sure, she didn't make the best decisions but they are supposed to be her friends, the ones who have supported her throughout her transition into the House of Night. So now Zoey's alone, more confused than ever, and her worry over both Stevie Rae and Aphrodite will be driving her actions in the next installment. I hope the Casts will show us a continually maturing Zoey, not just a powerful one, in Untamed. I'll be waiting for it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes I wonder about Zoey..., April 22, 2008
Chosen is the third book in the House of Night series. When we left off Stevie Rae, was fighting to keep hold of her humanity and Zoey was doing her best to help her. Zoey was also dealing with being the leader of the Dark Daughters and with having 3 guys interested in her.

One of the things I really didn't care for in this book was, besides the way Zoey kept calling herself a ho because she was "involved" with 3 different guys (one of who is a teacher and she sleeps with) is how her friends jump and turn on her, at one point. They jump on her because they didn't know she didn't care for Christmassy themed birthday presents (she had told Stevie Rae) and because she kept the truth about Stevie Rae to herself, not telling them she was alive.

As to the 3 guys, Heath should of been gotten rid of in the first book, he's immature and totally unsuited for Zoey (even before her change). Erik is a self absorbed snot nosed jerk who can't see beyond he's own ego and jumps to all sorts of conclusions with Zoey after he catches her with Loren, who had sex with Zoey, just to wrap her around his little finger and to make her jump when he said to.

Compared to the other two books, this book was disappointing in that Zoey's friends are a bunch of hypocrites, Zoey herself is even more of a Mary Sue, and out of all the people in this series, Stevie Rae and Aphrodite are the only ones who have shown any growth or complexity.

I'm willing to give the next book Untamed a try, but I think this series is starting to go down hill.

1.0 out of 5 stars not worth my time, April 13, 2008
This book is worse than marked, in my opinion...Zoey's friends prove to be shallow and Zoey could have portrayed more of the character that she was in the first book. The fact that she kind of involved herself with three guys just makes her a slut. She hurt a lot of people, and she knew what she was doing. I also think that she shouldn't have lied to her friends about the whole christmas situation, but they proved to be so shallow. My friends would never-in a million years-do that to me. They proved to be unrealistic and chosen took me forever to read...
I don't recommend it. After reading Marked, I didn't think that I would read the rest of the series, but I had a friend who didn't think they were so bad and happened to be a speed reader. (She read Betrayed and Chosen in a day.) So, she got me to read them saying that I would enjoy them more...didn't happen.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, March 13, 2013
This review is from: Chosen: A House of Night Novel (Hardcover)
I had PC Cast had my 10th grade English teacher and was able to read this book while it was still a manuscript. Overall the book was great. It definitely held my attention all the way to the last sentence. I couldnt wait to read the next one and was asking her over and over for the next manuscript of the next book. I would recommend this book to anyone that is into vampire esque mystery books.

1.0 out of 5 stars Really?, July 29, 2010
J. Kurtz (Princeton, ID USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chosen: A House of Night Novel (Hardcover)
Not often do I consult the state laws concerning age of consent and statutory rape but felt the need here. I don't understand this plot line at all.
And Zoey? I'm sure her theme song is "Love The One You're With".
Every guy is either hot or cute or both. Can't there be more worthy descriptors?
Yes, we are dealing with another world but if teenagers truly act like this there is a real problem.

2.0 out of 5 stars Miss Mary-Sue is at it Again--MAJOR Spoilers, February 5, 2010
This review is from: Chosen: A House of Night Novel (Hardcover)
Up until this point I've been a bit critical of the House of Night series. I keep calling it a series that has potential but hasn't realized it yet. I admit that I wasn't so sure of these books after reading Marked, but after Betrayed I thought things were starting to move in the right direction. But then I read Chosen. What happened, Casts? I was hoping for the series to just keep improving but Chosen was actually a few steps backward.

I'm not going to go over again what I think is wrong with the series in general. Those are detailed in my reviews of Marked and Betrayed. I'm going to stick specifically with my thoughts on Chosen.

First off, I know I complain a lot about Zoey being perfect. I do this because it is a blatant issue that needs to be dealt with and it annoys me a lot. I think Chosen was meant to illustrate Zoey's imperfections since she seems to make a lot of bad choices and she's pretty much friendless by the end of the book. But it didn't really showcase Zoey's shortcomings so much as it came across as a compensation for what I'm sure have been multiple complaints by readers. It's like Zoey was saying, "Look at me, guys! I'm not so perfect! I can make bad choices, too!"

Okay. Zoey's imperfections include all of the following:

1) She witholds vital information from her friends in an effort to keep them safe. This results in anger on their part. Really not so much an imperfection or even an example of a bad choice. It could probably be classified as a misunderstanding that will only make Zoey look more virtuous once it's cleared up.

2) Zoey can't choose between boys and this makes her a 'ho'. And I can understand a girl having a weakness for boys and having trouble choosing. Not exactly what I would call an interesting or tragic weakness like having a lame leg or being jaded and unable to form solid relationships but whatever. (Or the visions Aphrodite has which can be considered both a gift and a curse depending on which way you look at it.) Zoey can't choose between however many guys she has chasing after her. But there's really only so far that little subplot can stretch before it gets old. When Zoey went to end her relationship with Heath I had that "YOU GO GIRL" attitude. Because I thought we might actually be GETTING SOMEWHERE with the love triangle. But no. She ends up in the same place she did the last time she tried to break up with Heath: lusting over his blood and still in a (demented) relationship.

And she potentially kills two guys in the process. Which I want to discuss briefly. I guess the whole scene might have been interesting if it wasn't so arbitrary and poorly dealt with. She doesn't stay long enough to find out if they're dead and it's never brought up again save for a moment of "OMIGOD I THINK I MIGHT HAVE JUST BEEN RESPONSIBLE FOR TWO DEATHS" and then we're back to boyfriend troubles.

3) Zoey makes bad choices. Or at least a small series of related bad choices that accumulate in the climax that anyone thinking rationally would have seen coming. Thus we have my biggest problem with this installment: I complimented the last book on the storyline and flow of events. Because despite its problems the book was generally engaging. But in Chosen the best way to describe the storyline is forced. Here's what I mean:

I didn't believe that Zoey the oh-so-virtuous who condemns anyone who so much as kisses in public as a 'ho' would hop into the sack with a teacher on an impulse. Even if I did believe it, it's too much of a stretch for me to believe that Zoey would ignore that goddess-given feeling in her stomach and spill EVERY COMPROMISING DETAIL she's been dealing with the entire book to a man who's almost a complete stranger. Everything about Stevie-Rae and Neferet and anything else any sane person would have kept quiet about.

Events in this story moved happened because the authors needed for them to happen. Zoey needed to confess what she knew so that she could be betrayed and the conflict with Neferet would further. Adding to this the fact that none of the faults of previous books have improved makes for one very unhappy reader.

I hope Untamed brings this series back up to the level of Betrayed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Better Than Book #2, January 23, 2010
I have previously stated in my review of Betrayed (HoN #2) and Marked (HoN #1), that I liked this series, but the teeny dialogue and inner monologue kind of bugged me. Well, it still did in this book. I know a lot of teenagers, and maybe it's just the ones where I live, but they don't talk like that. However, if you cans set that aside like I was able to, then the underlying story is quite good!

In this installment of Zoey Redbird's adventures as a fledgling vampyre, Zoey has some serious issues to deal with. First, she has become, in her own words, "a bit of a ho-bag". She has not one, not two, but three boyfriends to juggle. Heath her human ex-boyfriend who imprinted with her accidentally, Erik the fellow fledgling who is the coolest, nicest, handsome, and most popular boy in the House of Night, and Loren Blake the young and seriously hot, full vampyre professor. It was bugging me for a while that Zoey seemed to feel guilty about all of this, but didn't really seem to do anything about it. Another reviewer said, quite correctly if Zoey were a male, there is no way we would be expected to tolerate the relationship juggling. No one would forgive it just because there was a fleeting moment of guilt. Without revealing too much, doing things you shouldn't be doing, generally catches up with you in the end.

One thing that I love is the strong Native American links this series has. I think it is a wonderful twist to the vampyre tale. Zoey's grandmother is one of my favorite characters because of this. She teaches Zoey and supports her where her mother will not. Which brings me to more of Zoey's family. Her mother and step-father are deliciously horrible people. Her mother is one of those spineless women who seems to want and need a man to hide behind and tell her what to think and how to think it. Her step-father is a religious overachiever. His way is the only way and if you don't agree then you are wrong. In Zoey's situation, it seems exceptionally cruel. They consider turning into a vampyre an evil choice, however, Zoey had no say in the matter. She was marked, and if she didn't go to the House of Night immediately, she would die. Therefore, in their minds, Zoey is evil. Pretty harsh.

This part of the series had a lot more graphic parts to it, both violent and sexual. Actually I was surprised with how racy it got. Again, doesn't necessarily bother me, but I know it influences many people's opinions on deciding to pick up a book or not. There is more than just innuendo.

We get to see a lot more of the creature formerly known as Stevie Rae. Zoey is desperately trying to find a way to save her, but her humanity, or what is left of it, is rapidly disappearing. The storyline involving Stevie Rae was very interesting to me and I thought it was clever the way she began to embody the vampyre stereotypes that none of the true, adult vampyres in the book possess.

Overall, the good outweighed the bad in this book. There are some major plot twists and turns that I did see trying to sneak in, but not right away. I just caught on before Zoey did. There were some hints things I picked up on for the next book as to who is behind some gruesome attacks, but I am not sure if I am right. I still want to find out! I'm glad I stuck with the series. The first book was pretty good, the second was alright, and the third was the best thus far. I will be picking up Untamed (#4), Hunted (#5), and Tempted (#6), unless something changes.

~Jenn

Chosen: A House of Night Novel
Chosen: A House of Night Novel by P. C. Cast (Hardcover - September 29, 2009)
$17.99 $13.42