5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive Debut from 16 Year Old Singer
Sixteen year old Chris Brown has released his debut self titled CD. It would be cliché to say that his debut CD is impressive but that's exactly what it is. His CD is a very impressive start to what has all of the makings of a long career in the music industry. When he sings you can hear the "I want to win," and tenacity in his voice.

The CD opens with a...
Published on December 5, 2005 by Dorrie Wheeler

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Unacceptable
I can't stand the way this kid sings. It's like he's shouting throughout his songs in a whiny high-pitched voice. It really irritates me that a 16 year old wants to sing like a 12 year old. It's not gonna work. Chris Brown really needs to get some vocal lessons and fast because he knows nothing about range. I wasn't impressed with his debut album either- it was boring,...
Published on April 26, 2006 by Blueberry Muffin

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive Debut from 16 Year Old Singer, December 5, 2005
This review is from: Chris Brown (Audio CD)

The CD opens with a brief intro where Chris pays homage to his home town of Tappahannock, Virginia and is followed by the popular single "Run It-Remix" featuring Juelz Santana. "Run It" is followed up by the official second single "Yo (Excuse Me Miss)." "Young Love" is a real laid back cut. "Give Me That," is a decent album track.

One of the hottest songs on the album is "Ya Man Ain't Me." It seems like this would have been the logical second single since it might resonant with more listeners. This song really has the appeal of a wide listening audience and music lovers of all ages would enjoy this song. "Ain't No Way" is another really hot song on the album. "Poppin," and "Just Fine" are equally impressive. The production on both songs are awesome. The CD also includes the "Run It" remix featuring Jermaine Dupri and Bow Wow. This song falls short of capturing the magic of the Juelz Santana remix.

Upon listening to Chris Brown's debut album you will think about a young Usher or Mario-which isn't a bad thing. It's really an album that any music lover can appreciate. They are both very talented established artists. Chris Brown has proven with his debut that he is not just another teen singer. One good thing about this album is that it's an R&B album. There aren't featured rappers on every single. Fans will be pleased to know that the CD insert includes a large fold out poster and lots of pictures of Chris. With a ridiculous fan base, a record breaking debut single, a hot debut single, and a good team on his side, Chris Brown has proven that he is the next big thing in R&B music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Run With It!!!!!!!!!!!!--Ignore The Gay Inuendos, he is DA MAN!, December 1, 2005
MVD (BALTIMORE, MARYLAND United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chris Brown (Audio CD)
See now that's what I'm talkin bout.........a young man representin VA that can reallly sing! I hadn't heard the song, don't listen to much radio, but saw him perform on the Vibe awards, and I had a (Beyonce moment)-- you know when a performer got da fire to make you jump out of your seat. I knew from the moment the camera put the spotlight on him "it was over". You talkin about stage presence-----Damn! Then he opened his mouth and his vocal flow and strength began to resignate in the room, the crowd went bananas. Not to mention, he was on Regis yesterday, performance was exceptional and he did the hat roll, Kelly, Regis and the crowd were all into it. This album is hot---tracks, production and oh, he is first named as executive producer, so he got his own (or) family paper, too.

This is a great album, very nice photo shoot and insert layout and I believe he is talented all around. Next time I hope he has a few general life songs because he has the appeal to pull it of without coming off too soft. And honestly, any of the rest of the tracks could be singles but I think the two he wrote would blow him up, Winner & What's My Name, but I like every song on this joint and that is saying a lot for me and a 16 year old artist( I'm Amazed). Grammy "Best New Artist", a given and naturally Billboard awards. Oh Well

The New Golden Boy.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Future of R&B :-), June 9, 2006
This review is from: Chris Brown (Audio CD)
This album is AMAZING! Chris Brown is a great influence to kids his age. He not only discusses the fun life of being a teen he also talks about teenage love. His songs are so intriguing from the upbeat tempos of his songs "Gimme That", "Poppin", and "Run It!" to the soothing flow in his songs "Winner", "Ain't No Way" and "Say Goodbye"! I admire Chris Brown for his talent at such a young age and especially for having come from a small town in Virginia. If you don't have this album you need to make sure you cop that, it's one of the hottest CD's. I know Chris Brown will be doing well in the future and I look forward to his next album!

*~Shikara~*

5.0 out of 5 stars Chris Brown.....Amazing!!!, March 7, 2006
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Chris Brown (Audio CD)
My mom got the cd for me and the first time I heard it, it was amazing! His voice sounded like it was created by angels. There were so many good songs. "Ain't No way" is one of my favorites. It amazed me to hear how a boy who's only 16 can have so much talent, intellegence, and with out a doubt cuteness!!! That's why I think he's so amazingly amazing! If anyone ever reads this, I am Chris Brown's #1 FAN!!!! I LOVE YOU SO MUCH CHRIS!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars THANK YOU CHRIS FOR MAKING SUCH A GREAT ALBUM!, May 5, 2006
This review is from: Chris Brown (Audio CD)
I doubt you'll ever see this Chris, but if you do, I just want to say thanks for making such a great album! Unless you're a nostalgic, ignorant Rock fan obsessed with the faded Golden Ages of Rock or an even more ignorant idiot who looks dumb & insane by talking to yourself, I hihgly recommend this album to everybody! It's got everything you need...club bangers (Run It, Gimme That, Poppin', etc.), ballads (majority of tracks on the album), reminiscent heartbreak songs (Say Goodbye, Just Fine)...DAMN, he even thanks everybody -including haters- for motivating him to get to where he is on the track "Thank You".

Seriously, this dude is the real deal! He sings, dances, does a bit of songwriting & he'll be acting soon. His youthful looks & smooth, soulful voice give him commercial appeal, while his diverse, relateable subject matter, meaningful lyrics & strong love for Old-School R&B gives him artistic appeal. His debut album isn't isn't as soft as Rihanna's "Music Of The Sun", but it isn't as hard as Teairra Mari's debut album either. To top it off, Chris actually takes the time to talk to his fans in his own spare time...not just at concerts, interviews or set dates...I mean really COMMUNICATE with people! Although musical artists tend to be very busy, he still finds the time to communicate with his fans, which is rare nowadays. His talent really shines on his debut album.

Although this album mainly aims at teens, anybody can relate to the things he talks about. "Run It (feat. Juelz Santana)", "Gimme That", "Poppin'" & the "Run It (Remix)" cater to all the people who like energetic club bangers. Both versions of "Run It" & "Gimme That" are mainly Hip-Hop/R&B, while "Poppin'" has more of a catchy R&B/Pop-Dance vibe to it, and sounds refrreshingly different from the other tracks.

The multitudes of self-explanatory love ballads ("Yo", "Young Love", "Ya Man Ain't Me", "Is This Love" & the bonus track "So Glad") all stand out in their own way, taking on different perspectives of love, yet they all sound great & amazingly beautiful. However, the most creative ballad of the lot is Chris Brown's self-penned track "Winner", which uses a boxing ring as a metaphor for falling in love with another girl. Chris sounds brilliant on this track, and the metaphor ends up being creative without coming off as cheesy.

However, "Say Goodbye" & "Just Fine" are the best slow songs from a musical standpoint. "Say Goodbye" truthfully explains the situation of finding it hard to say goodbye to your lover through creative lyrics, a beautiful beat Chris' smooth, soulful vocals. "Just Fine", on the other hand, tells the same story of breaking up with a lover, but letting them know that the'll be just fine, and will find someone or something better in life. "Just Fine" is definitely my favourite track on the album.

Oh yeah, better not forget "What's My Name", featuring a new rapper named Noah, and he's not too bad. Chris Brown basically talks about himself & his credentials, but he does it in a polite manner. He doesn't sound like a self-obsessed, rude egotist (unlike Bobby Valentino...sorry man). The laid-back beat really helps the track as well. "Gimme That" has Chris talking about himself again in a more arrogant manner, but it's nothing bad enough to make you want to spit in his face. The beat is hot too!

The album ends with the standout track "Thank You". This track is self-explanatory...he thanks everybody, and I really do mean EVERYBODY...family, friends, fans, haters, East Coast, West Coast, Mid-West, Dirty South, ladies, gentleman...you get the idea. Hell, when it comes to tracks that directly thank fans, this is BY FAR the best track ever made IMO.

Like I said, RECOMMENDED TO EVERYBODY! THIS IS QUALITY R&B MUSIC!

5.0 out of 5 stars Listen up everybody, January 1, 2006
This review is from: Chris Brown (Audio CD)
Okay, I think it's kind of interesting, that all the kids reviews are bashing this album, but all the regular reviews are giving it 5 stars. Well, I'm a college student, going to an art school, studying the music business. And I was absolutely amazed by this album, and a lot of my college friends would agree with me. This is a very impressive debut for a sixteen year old. The album starts with his #1 debut hit, "Run It", which is a hot Scott Storch production, which is the song that everyone wants to hear in the clubs and at a parties. The song is based around the typical hit-making formula which leaves no question why it's so successful. But personally, I just believe this song is HOT! and addictive. The next track on the album Andre Harris/Vidal Davis-produced second single "Yo (Excuse Me Miss)". The song is just a sweet song that brings back memories of going to the skating rink and stuff, or some type of teen dance party, lol. But everybody remembers what it feels like to just see somebody who catches your eye and just wanting to dance with me. It's just such a sweet song with such a soothing melody. People keep dissing his voice, but I think he has a very nice voice. It's probably going to change a bit throughout the next few years though. The next song on the album is one of my favorites, taking it back with a familiar sample and talking about teenage love. This song just takes you back to your teenage years, remember the first time you truly believed you where in love? A great song!! One of my favorites. The next track is another Scott Storch-produced club track called "Gimme That" which is basically like another "Run It!". It's hot! The next song is "Ya Man Ain't Me" which a nice song produced by The Underdogs. Basically, the song is about him talking to a girl who has a boyfriend who doesn't treat her right. My favorite part is "he ain't fly, he don't even drive." Definately a 16-year old, I love it. The next song, "Winner", is one of my favorites. This track is produced by Bryan-Michael Cox, one of my favorite producers around right now. This song is just a nice catchy song, that keeps calling you back. The next track, "Ain't No Way (You Won't Love Me)", is just as good. I don't quit no what to say about this song, other than you just have to hear it. It just takes you away. The next two songs definately aren't highlights on the album, but definately not tracks to skip over either. "What's My Name" is an upbeat track produced Cool & Dre, and "Is This Love?" is a slower song but with a heavy bassline, produced by The Underdogs. These two songs are followed by another hot Andre Harris/Vidal Davis production called "Poppin". The song is upbeat, but not enough so to be played in a club nowadays. It's basically just a smooth upbeat irresistable track. The next song has to be my favorite on the album, it's called "Just Fine". It's about realizing that the person your with deserves someone better than you and letting them go. The song-writing is excellent and it's just a beautiful song. The next track is another Bryan-Michael Cox production, called "Say Goodbye". Another heartfelt ballad here, about letting a relationship come to an end, and how there's really never a right time to say goodbye. It's about not knowing exactly what you need, and what you want, and who you are exactly, which is something you have to explore a lot when you're young. Beautiful song. The next songs are kind of like the closing tracks on the album. The "Run It!" Remix features Bow Wow, and is remixed by the one and only Jermaine Dupri. It's just as good as the original in my opinion. Still a party starter! I really don't care for the closing track on the album, "Thank You", but maybe it's just me. If I was the executive producer of this album, I wouldn't want "Thank You" to go on. I think the album would end better with the "Run It!" Remix as the final track. The "Run It!" remix seems to kind of close the album. But regardless of that, I would still definately give this album 5 stars. I think the reason Chris Brown might be liked more by college-age people as opposed to people his own age or slightly younger, maybe due to the fact that his music takes you back to those years we have already surpassed. With high school kids or junior high kids, songs like "Yo (Excuse Me Miss)", "Young Love", and "Ya Man Ain't Me" just might seem too simple or might hit too close to home, when their looking for music to show them something outside of the world their living in. I believe that music should inspire thoughts and music should create images in your mind, and that's what these songs do. It makes us think back to younger days when we thought we were in love with the boy/girl at the school dance. There's really no picture to be painted when you're already there. It gives something for slighty older people to reminisce on. With the 18-25 crowd, these teenage memories are still very close to our hearts, because we have just recently said goodbye to them. With even older crowds, they've moved way beyond this and their already reminsicing on their 18-25 days. That's my theory on why the college-aged crowd seems to be more into this CD than the under 18 crowd.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Future of R&B!, January 5, 2006
This review is from: Chris Brown (Audio CD)
Chris Brown is on top of the world right now. His debut single "Run It" stayed on the top of the Hot 100 for a few weeks, making all heads turn his direction just to see who this new kid on the block really is. The 16-year-old Virginian actually considered a rap career, but opted for singing after realizing the attention he caused when girls would hear his voice. I have to admit that I didn't like "Run It" when it first came out. I heard it when I saw the video one day and immediately thought of the same comparison many of you probably came up with yourselves....."He's trying to be Usher!" And because of this early rush to judgment, I kind of shunned the idea of even listening to his self-titled album. But then I saw his video for "Yo (Excuse Me Miss)" and I saw what some label heads obviously saw....potential.

We've all heard "Run It" a million times. And even though it's played all over the place, the song doesn't seem cohesive like an Usher track would be. Even his live performances of the song don't impress me. But then I heard the rest of the album and realized that "Run It" is probably his worst track considering he sings out of his range on the song. Thankfully he keeps within his limits on mostly all the remaining tracks on his album. "Yo (Excuse Me Miss)" is more convincing because there is a concept behind the song, and his singing doesn't come close to any unacceptable levels. "Young Love" uses a few samples and reminds you of a bunch of other songs from the past, but Chris Brown does a good job of making it his own. Some other good songs are "Gimme That," "Ain't No Way," "What's My Name," and "Poppin." But his stand out tracks are without a doubt his more mellow cuts. "Ya Man Ain't Me," "Winner," "Is This Love" are perfect examples of his smoother side. But the best selection has to be "Say Goodbye," a song worthy enough to be his third single.

Chris Brown made a believer out of me, especially once I got past the whole "He trying to be Usher" phase. And the truth of the matter is the simple fact that EVERYBODY should be trying to be the level Usher is at right now. But Chris Brown outright trying to BE him couldn't be any farther from the truth. He has his own appeal that many teenage girls have already witnessed, yet he isn't confined to just the young adult market. They just happen to be the main audience, much like a Mario or Omarion. But as soon as Chris Brown and these other cats get a little older like Marques Houston and Usher, the more mature crowd will see what these young fellas are made of. Usher came out right around the same age, and his song didn't climb up and stay at number one on the charts nor was his album sought out by every teenage girl out here. Chris Brown unquestionably has the capability of being just as big a star as Usher...if not bigger.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Rising Star...Definitely, July 21, 2006
This review is from: Chris Brown (Audio CD)
This CD has not come out of my CD player since I purchased it right after the BET Music Awards Show a few weeks ago. This brother is AWESOME and is truly going places. I couldn't believe that he was only 17 or 18 years old. His future is already big and bright for him...all he has to do is just walk in it. He is truly a GEM..smooth, talented, nice looking, great physique...etc, etc, etc. He really knows how to bring the SOUND. I love the ENTIRE CD and strongly ENCOURAGE any and every one (young and old) to go out and get it today. YOU WILL NOT BE DISSATISFIED!!!

Keep on keeping on CHRIS.

Jaeda

Atlanta, GA

5.0 out of 5 stars The 16 Y.O Phenom, December 7, 2006
ChocolateQT (La Vergne, Tennessee) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chris Brown (Audio CD)
Now this is what you call a smash debut for a youngster. Other needs to take note. Its 2006 and he still has hits coming off this album. "Poppin" the lastest single is just now hitting the radio and I'm really digging it. Overall this is a great album, I'm sorry I slept on it for so long.

favs:
Poppin
Just Fine

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Album, December 6, 2005
This review is from: Chris Brown (Audio CD)
Okay this Cd is hot. I really love the songs on Chris Brown's first album it is perfect for someone his age. His Cd is talking about all the things that go on through a teenagers perspective. Songs about young love, breaking up, and even a girls boyfriend not being the one for her but instead chris is the one for her. Its a nice cd. Chris has nice vocals, for those who are saying his voice is herendous we must be listening to two different cd's. He's not quite Usher yet but he has time. Chris is only 16 years old, born May 5, 1989 He has a good 2 years before he's an adult and another 3 on top of that before he's completely legal so give him a break. He has lots of time to work on his vocals not that he doen't already have a nice voice.

Anyways, here is my break down on the cd, from a scale of 1-5
2. Run it! - Hot song, Hot beat caused everyone to buy his cd but not the best on the cd but still a good song.5/5
3. Yo (Exsuse me miss) - I love the lyrics and the concept of how he doesn't know a female's name but he wants to talk to her so he politely says excuse me miss - 5/5
4. Young Love - Nice song about young love (no kidding). I like the concept and the lyrics a lot - 5/5
5. Gimme That - Hot beat. It's almost like he's being conceited but he's not at the same time. The beat wins this song for me! It also has a real nice chorus- 5/5
6. Ya Man aint me - This song has a real message. I can relate to this song, how a guy sometimes treats a girl like he's the only one for her and she's lucky to have him. - 5/5
7. Winner - He met a girl who's the one for him, she's a winner I like the lyrics. -5/5
8. Aint no way( You won't love me) - This song is nice but not my favaorite,I love the lyrics though and it does have a nice slow beat . - 4/5
9. What's my name - Real nice, chill song where he's proclaiming who he is C to the H to the R-I-S from VA. 5/5
10. Is this love? - Real nice song, also a real chill song 4.5/5.
11.Poppin' - I really like this song, his vocals in this song are really nice - 5/5
12. Just Fine - Real nice beat and I like the lyrics. - 5/5
13. Say Goodbye - My favorite song on the cd. This is a real cute ballad it's sad but it's really nice, people can relate to it. - 5/5
14. Run it (Rmx)- I like this remix with bow wow, I do prefer the orginal run it but it's still a nice addition to the cd. 4/5
15. Thank You - Nice lyrics, he's thank everyone who is supportive of him. - 4/5

My opinion overall the entire cd was really good. As a whole I still give the cd a 5 because it was a really nice cd. I do recommend that you go out and buy this album!

Chris Brown
Chris Brown by Chris Brown (Audio CD - 2005)