Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS
Customer Discussions > Mere Christianity forum

Christian Fiction

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 18, 2008 4:45:41 AM PST
My grown daughter is a devout Christian. I am not. She loved science fiction as a child, but now shuns it as the devil's playground (I exaggerate, but you get my point). She will read CS Lewis, however, and loved Narnia et al. Any suggestions for her for Christmas? Christian fiction or Science Fiction (NOT the Left Behind series or anything like it- that is atrocious stuff)? Screwtape letters - yes. She read that. I'm at a loss.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2009 1:17:29 PM PST
R. Ahlrichs says:
Try Lewis' other fiction, Out of the Silent Planet, Perlandra, and that Hideous strength, also The Great Divorce and Pilgrim's Regress are not exactly fiction, but are told in story form, there is also the book "Until We Have Faces" by Lewis, but it is not blatantly Christian, and may not be appropriate for her, though you might enjoy it. You could also get C.S. Lewis' indirect mentor George MacDonald. His works are strictly fantasy, but if Lewis learned from him, perhaps she would also. Of course there is always all of Tolkien's work, you probably know that he and Lewis critiqued each other's work as they wrote.

Posted on Mar 17, 2009 10:38:15 AM PDT
neonpisces says:
Charles Williams...Also an Inkling (look it up), also a writer of fiction.

"Power and the Glory" by Graham Greene.

Everything by Flannery O'Connor.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2009 2:31:32 PM PDT
Irish Stu says:
Try Summa Elvetica: A Casuistry of the Elvish Controversy by Theodore Beale. If she liked Narnia and Middle-Earth she will appreciate the depth and complexity of Beale's work. He also wrote the Eternal Warriors series, a three-part fictional series on the war between Heaven and Hell. I own all four books, Beale certainly provokes the reader to think and that is refreshing in Christian fiction these days.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2009 3:57:37 AM PDT
Lucifer says:
For classic Christian fiction, I'd recommend the New Testament. It's not sci-fi (nothing scientific about it!), and it's not well written, but it's a best-seller. And the best thing about it is that Christian who read the book straight through typically lose their faith, or their interest, by the time they get to Paul's epistle to the Romans.

Another great Christian classic is Pilgrim's Progress, by John Bunyan, which is one of two books (along with the family Bible) that used to be found in every American household, back in the days when America was still a Christian nation.

--L.

Posted on Sep 1, 2009 5:06:24 PM PDT
The Brothers Karamazov, by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2010 5:11:11 PM PDT
The Loving Prophet takes the reader to other planets to witness the birth of the planet's Savior, the resurrection of another planet's Savior, and fulfillment of prophecies -- all in the context of Christian fantasy and romantic adventure.

J. J. Stewart
The Loving Prophet

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2010 5:12:08 PM PDT
Try The Loving Prophet

The Loving Prophet
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mere Christianity forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Dec 18, 2008
Latest post:  Aug 6, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Mere Christianity
Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis (Hardcover - September 8, 1988)
4.6 out of 5 stars (2,412)