“England's most accomplished historical theologian has crafted an authorities and enticing text, one that moves thoughtfully through multiple periods, personalities and themes in Christianity’s complex history. Meticulous and memorable, Christianity: An Introduction (2nd edition) takes us on a breathtaking journey, and readers of all kinds will enjoy the ride.” Darren J. N. Middleton, Texas Christian University.
“McGrath’s Introduction to Christianity is the finest text of its kind available. It is encyclopaedic in scope, reliable and quite accessible to the non-specialist. McGrath not only discusses the pivotal events and major figures one would expect in such a work, he portrays Christianity as a dynamic living tradition, growing, adapting, struggling, and through it all, thriving.
I have with success used the book as a student text and also for my own preparation in other courses. In this second edition, an already solid resource is made even more valuable.” David L. Johns, Earlham School of Religion
From the Back Cover
This popular, extensively revised textbook by Alister McGrath is essential reading for anyone wanting to understand the dynamics of the world’s largest religion and offers a lively, jargon-free introduction to Christianity. With material ranging from biblical sources, to diverse Christian traditions, to Christianity in the modern world, this classic work by a leading theologian provides a comprehensive foundation to the subject. Key features include:
- An introduction to biblical sources and discussion of the central figure of Jesus.
- Comprehensive discussions of Christian theology, the history of Christianity from its origins to the present day, and Christianity in the modern world.
- Increased focus on Christianity as a lived experience.
- Expanded coverage of contemporary issues, non-Western Christianity, globalization and women.
- Accessible and student-friendly design, including numerous illustrations.
Written in a clear and engaging style, the book encourages lateral thinking in students of all levels and includes suggestions for further reading and a glossary of Christian terms.