5.0 out of 5 stars Challenging And Spiritually Stimulating, November 14, 2009
I must say that in writing this review I have no pretense of it being comprehensive or even worthy to stand alongside the splendid and scholarly reviews of many literary and religious writers who have looked at this spiritual giant of a man, and given him every accolade possible, and of course some with outright criticism of his views. I have made use of Libraries and other sources to read and digest some of his writings including a thorough reading of the Cole lecures from which this current book has it's source. My primary reason for this review is, I noticed that there were no reviews yet, and I wanted to at least draw some attention to the book from the religious audience of today. The chapter on "Progressive Christianity" alone will be well worth any forward thinking Christians time and attention. He takes us from the past to the present in the ideas, doctrines, and creeds of Judaism and Christianity, and shows the progressive tendencies of revelation and man's concepts of God showing it's fullest impact through Christ. But he also points out that eventhough there is a finality to certain aspects of divine revelation it's application and meaning has continued to unfold with each generation. He stands firm against a stagnate Christianity or faith in God based on stated doctrines and creeds alone. He makes the statement " For no one can long ponder the significance of our generation's progressive ways of thinking without running straight upon this question,"is not Christianity itself progressive"? He argues brilliantly from the life of Jesus and Paul to show us they were not stuck in the past in their spiritual position's but both revealed an ongoing unfolding of revelation and new meanings. My hope is that this book with it's magnificent lectures will attract a new readership. Thurman L. Faison, Author "To The Spiritually Inclined"

5.0 out of 5 stars Ever hear of Harry Emerson Fosdick? And why not?, January 10, 2014
Craig A. Picella (Aliso Viejo, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Philosopher, Theologian, Psychologist, and Minister. Anything written by Fosdick is top drawer. Probably the most talented man of letters since William James.. His "Meaning of Faith" reveals his talent for novel and persuasive interpretations of Biblical scripture. Here are two Fosdick gems:: "Chaos cannot have Cosmos for its crown; On anger, "Don't burn your house down to kill a rat". Some of his collected sermons are at archive.org. If you can find it, read "The peril of worshiping Jesus" contained in the volume entitled "The Hope of the World". It is a shaking of the foundations of Organized Christianity with passionate eloquence never equaled by Dawkins or Hutchins.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'd recommend Fosdick to anyone, October 8, 2014
Nancy Shafer (New Mexico, USA) - See all my reviews
I'd recommend Fosdick to anyone.

Most of these other books and products -- I did not receive nail clippers and another stuffed dog toy. I deleted some of the books to make more room in the Kindle Cloud.

I haven't receive anything else. Ship it on and I'll tell you how it works, but don't load the books back on the Kindle. I need the room for other books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comment on request for reviews in general, September 29, 2013
I do not like that you require verbal reviews for each one. I will not rate even with stars if I have to write something for each one. I don't have the time, but I am happy to rate them and give you that much feedback.

Christianity And Progress
Christianity And Progress by Harry Emerson Fosdick (Paperback - May 13, 2010)
$26.75
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.