5.0 out of 5 stars Another Mannheim Steamroller Fan
Published on December 11, 2000 by C. A. Luster

2.0 out of 5 stars from Solo Piano Publications
I was really looking forward to the third in a series of Christmas albums from Mannheim Steamroller, and have to say that I was at least as disappointed in "Christmas In the Aire" as I was in seeing Mannheim in "concert" (the Milli Vanilli of instrumental music!!!). With a few exceptions, most of these songs sound like the group was trying too hard to top the previous two...
Published on October 11, 2001 by Kathy Parsons

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Mannheim Steamroller Fan, December 11, 2000
This review is from: Christmas in the Aire (Audio CD)
Well to start I can't possibly beat what the music fan from St. Louis said, this is a great CD, possibly Mannheim Steamrollers best Christmas CD. You can't go wrong with any of their Chrismas CDs. What is well said by the earlier fan is that it is unique. So much Christmas music has been pumped out that it starts to run together after you hear it enough. Don't get me wrong I'll always love hearing Nat King Cole croon about "chestnuts roasting on an open fire...". I started listening to Mannheim Steamroller in 1982 when I heard Fresh Aire III played in a music store. I have been a fan since. When they started releasing Christmas albums I recommended them to all my friends and family because they had appeal for anyone of any age group. If you don't have any of their Christmas CDs try this one for sure. And if you don't have this Mannheim CD, get it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas is in the Aire!, November 20, 2000
This review is from: Christmas in the Aire (Audio CD)
I seem to write pretty good reviews if I talk about the album track-by-track so here goes:
1. Joy to the World: One of the most upbeat adaptations of this great song! This version will lift your spirits and warm your soul.
2. Joseph Dear Oh Joseph Mine: A relaxing track with a great flute solo.
3. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer: Not perfect, but it's pretty good rendition and kids will like it.
4. Herbei, oh ihr Glaubigen (O Come All Ye Faithful): Beautiful melodious version which includes the superb Bielefelder Kinderchor of Germany. Definitley one of the reasons to buy this CD.
5. Pat A Pan: Another flute passage, the longest track, and generally pretty good.
6. O' Little Town of Bethlehem: Nice version of the traditional song. Perfect for getting little ones to sleep (that's a compliment).
7. Angels We Have Heard On High: The best track on the album, with its upbeat trumpet passages and wonderful harmonies, this will get anyone in the Christmas mood!
8. Gagliarda: Relaxing flute track makes you think of Christmas in foreign lands many years ago. Worth listening to.
9. Los Peces en el Rio: Nice Spanish guitar intro that leads into a haunting melody that makes this song another highlight on the album.
10. Christmas Lullaby: One listen and you'll swear that this song is a traditional Christmas song. Wrong. Mannheim Steamroller creator Chip Davis wrote it.
11. Kling, Glockchen: Shortest track on the album, but just as good as "Herbei, oh ihr Glaubigen" because, once again, a children's choir takes part in it.
12. Jingle Bells: Expecting another upbeat song? Think again. This version takes the traditional song and really sloooows it down. Still very good!
In short, Mannheim Steamroller's "Christmas in the Aire" is for anyone who's a fan of Chip Davis's music, anyone that liked "Mannheim Steamroller's Christmas", or anyone that enjoys some relaxing tunes at Christmastime.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful mix of early and modern Christmas music, January 5, 2000
This review is from: Christmas in the Aire (Audio CD)
One of the most difficult things imaginable is coming up with Christmas music which is, even in the slightest way, unique. We've all heard Nat King Cole's gorgeous, silken voice on the old standards, and, Lord Help Us, how many of Bing's croonings can you take? Over the years, Mannheim Steamroller has produced three fine albums, mixing up the standards (some in synthesized and modernized form) with other ancient pieces that had long ago fallen off the play list. This latest studio Christmas album could well be the best of the group.
Many have criticized it as being too formulaic, or simply as being too like the previous efforts. Maybe so. The others are awfully good as well. You know, I hate to break this to the critics but since Bach's Christmas Oratorio and Correlli's concertos in the 18th century, and Mendelsohn and Tchaikovsky in the 19th, there hasn't been a whole lot of good ground-breaking Christmas music written. If you're looking for new thing, Christmas isn't exactly the best place to start.
That said, this particular CD is chock-full of wonderful Christmas melodies, some of which you probably haven't heard before, produced and presented to meet Manneheim Steamroller's extremely high standards. Standout tracks include: Mendelsohn's "Joy To The World" -- in a version as rambunctuous as anything you could get from Arthur Fiedler; "Pat A Pan" -- a wonderfully simple melody, like fudge it is Christmas perfection. You will wonder why it isn't more famous than it is; "Gagliarda", with it's evocations of a medieval feast in the long room of a great castle; and "Los Peces El Rio", Spanish mystery and flair, rarely heard far north of Mexico.
This one will stay in your Christmas CD rotation as long as you live. Maybe, being the third such Christmas CD from the group, it isn't a completely unique or new experience. I have yet to have someone show me anyone else that is producing great Christmas music which incorporates new sounds while retaining tradition, which is the very nature of the holiday.

5.0 out of 5 stars sets the stage for christmas for my entire family, December 10, 1998
This review is from: Christmas in the Aire (Audio CD)
O'little town almost brings tears to my eyes as i listen and recall christmas past. Each of the tracks bring back fond memories of celebrations past with family & friends some of whom are no longer with us to share the joy of the season & the music. thank you chip & co from a ditto head.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Work by Chip Davis, November 9, 2003
Ernest Bedard (Mt. Calvary, WI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Christmas in the Aire (Audio CD)
I have all of Mannheim Steamroller's Christmas Cd's, and this one is my favorite....although it was hard for me to determine my favorite since all of their Christmas Music is great listening. Their sound is wonderfully unique, and is sure to become a favorite in your Christmas Collection as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite Christmas CD, September 25, 1999
This review is from: Christmas in the Aire (Audio CD)
I own a lot of Christmas CDs. This is the best one. Christmas music is not complete until you hear Mannheim Steamroller. I love all the regular Christmas CDs: Andy Williams, garth Brooks, etc. But Mannheim Steamroller has the best music. Teir version of Joy to the World is the most fascinating X-mas song I have ever heard. I recommend every mannheim Steamroller Christmas to any Christmas music lover!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Might as well get this one too, November 26, 2008
Amazon Customer "Shelf-Help" (Brownwood, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Christmas in the Aire (Audio CD)
Mannheim Steamroller knows how to set a pair of ears perfectly at ease. Much like "the Blue Album," CHRISTMAS IN THE AIRE features many of the lesser known carols, whose tunes many of us readily recognize, but we are oblivious to their titles. Among these are "Joseph Dear, Oh Joseph Mine," "Pat-a-Pan," "Gagliarda," and "Los Peces En El Rio".

A German version of "O Come All Ye Faithful, "Herbei, Oh Ihr Gläubigen," is sung beautifully by a children's choir. This album also boasts a gently flowing "O Little Town of Bethlehem" as well as a rendition of "Jingle Bells" unlike any version ever recorded.

The one track which I had never heard before, but was stunningly beautiful nonetheless was "Kling Glöckchen" (also delivered by a children's choir).

This along with FRESH AIRE CHRISTMAS (the blue album) and CHRISTMAS EXTRAORDINAIRE (the red album) are my three favorites of Mannheim Steamroller. They are also some of the best Christmas music I've ever heard and the first things I pull out when it's time to start playing Christmas music each year (and it's earlier for me than most people).

5.0 out of 5 stars Another outstanding Christmas album, November 25, 2005
Michael Wheeler "Stratocaster" (Las Vegas, Nevada United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Christmas in the Aire (Audio CD)
This is the third of four superb Christmas albums.

Mannheim has a reputation of synthesizers, and exquisite arrangements of Christmas music, second to none.

Joy to the World opens with a synthesizer.

Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer has a synthesizer and a drum machine.

Pat-A-Pan is played on a pan flute and has a Celtic sound to it.

O Little town of Bethlehem is slowed down and is played with bells, it is very relaxing.

Angels we have heard on High is very nicely done as well.

It is performed by an Orchestra with an added synthesizer.

Christmas lullaby is played on a flute with bells and a harpsichord, another outstanding arrangement with a renaisance sound to it.

Jingle Bells is actually played with bells.

As with the other three albums the songs are very well arranged.

The moond and the tone the music sets, not only gets you into the Christmas spirit, but is very relaxing as well.

No collection is complete without Mannheim Steamroller

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, November 17, 2002
This review is from: Christmas in the Aire (Audio CD)
The work of Mannheim Steamroller is probably the most universally accessible Christmas music made in the 20th or 21st centuries. One would have to be an incurably hardened prude not to acknowledge that Mannheim is a phenomenally talented group of musicians and that Chip Davis is a phenomenally talented arranger. You may argue about which particular album is the best, but I personally enjoy this one the most. I would even go so far as to say that this deserves to be included in a consideration of the greatest rock/pop albums ever made.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure holiday enjoyment, October 28, 1998
This review is from: Christmas in the Aire (Audio CD)
The first time I heard mannheim Steamroller, I thought it was nearly sacriligious, but then i listened again and I realized that what Chip & Co. do is make a classic new again. My holiday music runs the gamut from Johnny Mathis to the GRP collections to Mannheim, but All I need to do to get festive again when holday blues get me down is crank up some Christmas in teh Aire.

Christmas in the Aire
Christmas in the Aire by Mannheim Steamroller (Audio CD - 1995)