5.0 out of 5 stars Great Blend of Original & Traditional, November 29, 2010
Ms. Quarter (Milwaukee, WI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Very Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
A big fan of Dave Barnes, I'm pleasantly surprised to see he released a Christmas album. Color me even more surprised when I heard a familiar voice accompanying the second track and found out it is none other than Lady Antebellum's Hillary Scott. Consider me late to the party.

The album offers just the right amount of traditional songs like "I'll Be Home for Christmas," and "All I Want for Christmas is You," while still providing a healthy dose of new Christmas favorites like the album's namesake "Very Merry Christmas," and my personal favorites "I Pray on Christmas" and "Family Tree."

Add this one to your Christmas music collection for a more diverse sampling of yuletide cheer. Barnes does it up right with the perfect blend of soul, pop, and that little bit of jazzy pep that has you subconsciously dancing while you frost your endless batch of Christmas sugar cookies.

5.0 out of 5 stars My new favorite Christmas album!, December 21, 2010
This review is from: Very Merry Christmas (MP3 Music)
I've listened to many Christmas albums, but this one stands out. These Christmas songs have such a refreshing and relaxing sound... it reminds me of the feeling you get when listening to Norah Jones. I love "Holiday Made for Two" and "Christmas Tonight" (with Hillary Scott from Lady Antebellum).

In summary... BUY IT! You won't be disappointed! It's not the same Christmas music you hear over and over... it's a nice new mix :)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Christmas Album!, December 18, 2010
KRizzo (Indianapolis) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Very Merry Christmas (MP3 Music)
This is great! I can't believe I've never heard of this guy before now. I downloaded the free sample, listened to it off and on for a few days and then decided I had to look up more of his music. I was pleasantly surprised to discover he had released a full Christmas album and that it was so cheap on Amazon. After about 10 listens all the way through, I can wholeheartedly recommend this album! It is soulful without being over-sung. It's catchy without being annoying. A great balance of very listenable and beautiful Christmas songs. My favorites are the less traditional songs, like "Christmas Tonight" and "Meet Me at the Mistletoe". My least favorite thing about the album, is that it's pretty short at 10 songs. It's goes really fast. Buy this!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Great Christmas Record, December 2, 2010
This review is from: Very Merry Christmas (MP3 Music)
I've been a fan of Dave's for a while now and this new Christmas record is a 10 out of 10. The covers are great, the originals are great and I especially love the song with Hillary Scott from Lady A. And for $5 on Amazon? Easy decision.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dave Barnes Doesn't Disappoint, June 20, 2013
This review is from: Very Merry Christmas (Amazon Exclusive) [+Digital Booklet] (MP3 Music)
This is such a great Christmas album. Most artist today mess up Christmas music. They try to fit it into genres where it doesn't belong. I feel that "Very Merry Christmas" is a timeless album. There are quite a few of his own Christmas songs on this album. Usually when an artist makes new Christmas songs I'm worried they'll mess it up. Not Dave Barnes. His Christmas songs will leave you asking why they aren't classic songs that are always played on the radio. Great Job Dave!

5.0 out of 5 stars So glad I got it!, January 22, 2013
This review is from: Very Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
I'm a huge fan of Dave Barnes, if you've never heard him, he's like the Christian, man-version of Colbie Caillat. But he mostly sings love songs. I would buy anything from him! I definitely recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE THIS! Dave Barnes is wonderful!, January 21, 2013
This review is from: Very Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
“Very Merry Christmas” is an outstanding holiday album. If you like Dave Barnes, I highly recommend purchasing this. Music is very jazzy and upbeat. This is better than what I expected it to be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dave Barnes Made Our Christmas Special!!!, January 15, 2013
This review is from: Very Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
Dave Barnes is awesome!! He is so talented and his music is quite versatile. Tim McGraw recorded his Mary and Joseph but David's voice was so much better. The album is a mix of jazzy, honky tonk piano, contemporary, spiritual, a lot of romance and also family oriented. I can't wait to see him in concert at a venue nearby!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars glad I took a chance, December 14, 2012
P. Shelling (Willoughby, Ohio) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Very Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
I had never heard of this guy before, so I just borrowed the disc the library, figuring at least it will be something new (and free if I didn't like it) . I love the acoustic blues/country kind of style, reminds me a bit of Ray LaMontagne. Of the ten songs, six are original Barnes compositions, which is always a plus for me, given the large amount of Christmas music I listen to. The title cut sets the tone, and the lovely guitar-only `Mary and Joseph' is like a modern re-telling of the nativity story. Harry Connick Jr's "I Pray on Christmas" leads the covers. Barnes also produced the set quite competently-- I think I will be checking out more of his material

5.0 out of 5 stars We bought one Christmas CD this year...and this was it !, December 2, 2012
This review is from: Very Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
My wife wanted one Christmas CD this year and this was her pick. She loves it and I've enjoyed it too. We play it in the car a lot with the kids and it was our pick for background music while we hung ornaments on the tree. I think it's a great CD to enjoy over the holidays.

Rate and Discover Movies