4.0 out of 5 stars Good gift
Bought as a gift and was greatly appreciated. Great for background listening during Christmas dinner or up to the days of Christmas.
Published on April 25, 2011 by Gabriela Wanless

3.0 out of 5 stars Redundant, but nice for new fans
Published on October 15, 2009 by dliamt

3.0 out of 5 stars Redundant, but nice for new fans, October 15, 2009
This review is from: Christmas 25th Anniversary Collection (Audio CD)
If you're new to Mannheim Steamroller, or just a casual fan who doesn't already own all of their CDs, this is a good "greatest hits" collection to get you up to speed. This two disc set offers a solid sampling of previously released material. It omits some essentials, such as "Deck The Halls" and "Silent Night," but those were already included on their previous Christmas compilation disc, so that's actually a good thing.

Steamroller's sound, for those five people out there who still haven't heard of them, runs the gamut from traditional acoustic to highly synthetic. Personally, I think they're at their best when they stick to the acoustic style. Their classic takes on songs like "We Three Kings," "Still Still Still", "O Holy Night" and "Little Town Of Bethlehem" are absolutely beautiful, perfectly capturing the quieter, poignant side of Christmas. But what Mannheim is probably most famous for are their up-tempo synth-pop versions of Christmas songs. Frankly, I find these tend to be a bit more "hit or miss", and definitely more of an acquired taste (I enjoy most of them, but I know plenty of people who get turned off by the highly synthetic, and admittedly cheesy/outdated, sound.) The good news is, this 2 disc collection shows off all of Mannheim's styles, so while you may not like some tracks, you'll certainly find at least a good number of them that you do like.

My only real complaint with this collection is that it offers absolutely nothing new to entice long-time fans, and ultimately comes off as little more than an easy way for the Steamroller to pad its wallet. I understand that this is meant to be a retrospective, but I had hoped for at least a FEW new tracks. As it is, there's simply no reason to buy this if you already own their older albums. The only track that long-time fans might not already have is "My Little Christmas Tree." This was previously only available with a pop-up book that Chip created back in the late 90s. It's a weak track, though, and sounds like it was thrown together one afternoon, so that's not much incentive to shell out money on this set.

Here's hoping Chip returns soon with an all NEW Christmas album (and hey, Chip, go back and listen to your first two Christmas albums if you need some inspiration-- those remain your best efforts to date.)

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointment!, December 25, 2009
NannE_MP (Los Angeles, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Christmas 25th Anniversary Collection (Audio CD)
I bought this after I went to the concert a couple of weeks ago...wish I had looked more carefully. I thought that the 25th Anniversary Collection would be the best of the best but it was a huge let down. None of the great electronica music. None of what they're known best for!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good gift, April 25, 2011

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, December 2, 2010
This review is from: Christmas 25th Anniversary Collection (Audio CD)
I was very disappointed in this album. Very few of the songs had the beat/tempo/sound that I expected of a Mannheim Steamroller rendition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas 25th Anniversary CD, July 19, 2013
This review is from: Christmas 25th Anniversary Collection (Audio CD)
Once again, Great music and we can also sing along during the holiday season. We listened to Christmas music from just after Thanksgiving through early January. These songs make us want to sing along.

5.0 out of 5 stars best music ever, July 14, 2013
This review is from: Christmas 25th Anniversary Collection (Audio CD)
I can't begin to tell how many times I have listened to these songs. It just isn't Christmas without Mannheim Steamroller.

4.0 out of 5 stars great compilation., June 1, 2013
This review is from: Christmas 25th Anniversary Collection (Audio CD)
If you don't own the original three Mannheim Steamroller Christmas CDs, buy this great 25th Anniversary compilation with the Christmas Celebration (5 stars for that one) and you'll have most of all the original tracks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, January 28, 2013
This review is from: Christmas 25th Anniversary Collection (Audio CD)
I love Christmas music. It is so peaceful and Mannheim Steamroller knows just the right way to make it sound. I now have it on my Android.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love Manheim Steamroller!, January 2, 2014
Talitha L. Poulin (Webster, New York United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Christmas 25th Anniversary Collection (Audio CD)
I love this album. There are 2 CDs in it so plenty of songs for the money. I saw Manheim Steamroller last year live and would highly recommend it. I could just picture in my mind them playhing these songs when I listened to it. It arrived fast, well wrapped, no damage. I am very happy with this transaction.

3.0 out of 5 stars One really good instrumental, October 31, 2010
This review is from: Christmas 25th Anniversary Collection (Audio CD)
The very first selection (Faeries) is worth the price of the CD. After that, it is all down hill. They will play it again this Christmas; if you like it as much as I do, get it. (Or maybe you can just buy the one selection; it is a lot cheaper.)

Christmas 25th Anniversary Collection
Christmas 25th Anniversary Collection by Mannheim Steamroller (Audio CD - 2009)