5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful! Appropriate for all ages!
Published on January 5, 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars Inaccuracies call the research into question
Published 13 months ago by Laura S- Portland, OR

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful! Appropriate for all ages!, January 5, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Christmas Around the World (Paperback)
As a third grade teacher, this book was a useful tool in teaching about Christmas Around the World. There are so few good books on this topic, and my students enjoyed the one page synopsis of Christmas for each of the countries discussed (about 10). The illustrations for each country are wonderful and vivid. We were able to learn about customs from these countries not usually presented in other books. I would recommend this book to any teacher, parent, or child seeking information about Christmas customs in countries around the world in this enjoyable and fact-filled book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Festive, October 17, 2001
Julie Clawson (Austin, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This is a fun book and I would recommend it to anyone interested in Christmas. The book looks at 12 countries around the world where Christmas is celebrated on a national scale. One reads brief, but detailed, summaries of the Christmas events and traditions of those countries. From religious celebrations to marketplace customs, and from tasty foods to fun crafts, one is presented with a vivid and enlightening picture of how poeple around the world celebrate the holiday.
The physical book itself is well made and festive. Each page is colorful and has vibrant paintings of Christmas events in each culture. The type is small, so parents would need to read this to their younger kids. To help readers, the author has included a pronunciation guide in the back. There is also a "fact and fiction" section about common Christmas things which serves as a reference for those who may never have heard of Epiphany or even Jesus Christ. Fun and simple craft guidelines are also included.
While this is a book about Christmas, it is not a religious book (which disappointed me). It mentions religious events associated with Christmas, but treats it holiday as if it is essentially a cultural event. Nevertheless, it is a fun book that is very educational. It would be a great book to have to bring out to display and enjoy at Christmastime.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good teacher resource, January 8, 2012
This review is from: Christmas Around the World (Paperback)
This book is a good teacher resource for information on how other countries celebrate their Christmas holidays, but not a very good read-aloud. I teach 3rd graders and I found the vocab. and writing were a bit above the level of typical 3rd graders. Also, it was a bit dry. I would read it, but would edit it as I read it to them. However, it was a good source for information for my purposes as I presented the customs to the class.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for teachers!, January 9, 2010
This review is from: Christmas Around the World (Paperback)
This book was a great way to introduce informational reading and hit diversity at the same time. I was able to create comprehension questions and correspond different comprehension skills to aid in student learning. It is rich in text features and activities to create awesome assignments during that time before Christmas break when students are reluctant to do a lot of work.

4.0 out of 5 stars This book is helpful when my students are learning about ..., July 11, 2014
This review is from: Christmas Around the World (Paperback)
This book is helpful when my students are learning about different cultures around the world. We discuss how just one holiday can be celebrated so many different ways. The entire thing is a bit long to read to my second grade class, so I usually just summary some of the pages as we discuss each country. Then I leave it out for my students to look at themselves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas traditions & crafts, February 6, 2014
This book has a lot of information about other cultures during the Christmas season. Great craft ideas. Anyone who works with children and feels it important to be broaden the hoizons and appreciate other cultures would find this book very helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, December 26, 2008
This review is from: Christmas Around the World (Paperback)
I bought this book for school for a unit that I was doing. With all of the other books I bought through Amazon, it was a great resource for myself and my students. Full Satisfied with the seller!

2.0 out of 5 stars Inaccuracies call the research into question, December 10, 2013
This review is from: Christmas Around the World (Paperback)
I bought this book thinking that I would read it to my children and talk about different traditions around the world. The problem is that there are information inaccuracies that call the whole thing into question. I don't know if any of the traditions are real or not. For example, Canada is noted to be the largest country in the world. Really, Canada? Not by a long shot, Russia has held that title for some time. Largest in Americas yes, but not the world. If the author let this through, I wonder how shoddy the rest of the research was.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very nice family book., January 23, 2014
This review is from: Christmas Around the World (Paperback)
I wanted a little more detail about the Holiday traditions. This book gives a few insights, but not as much as I would like. It also includes games and activity pages for kids, so that is a bonus!

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas around the world, June 2, 2014
Rosie nana (South Carolina, USA.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Christmas Around the World (Paperback)
Our second book of Christmas around the globe. To develop studies in social studies to show the sameness and the difference of children and in countries around us.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Christmas Around the World
Christmas Around the World by Mary D. Lankford (Paperback - October 19, 1998)
$6.99