Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Christmas in the Big Woods (Little House Picture Book)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Periphery Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on March 16, 2001
My nearly 3-year old son and I both love this book, and read it daily, even though Christmas is long past! As a long time fan of the "Little House" books, I really enjoy sharing these books with him and introducing him to these favorite characters. I particularly recommend the Christmas book because it is a wonderful story and beautifully illustrated, and focuses on many non-material aspects of the holiday. Laura's special Christmas involves a visit with her cousins, baking with her mother, playing in the snow, and waiting for Santa--who brings candy and mittens. I think this book has a very good message for today's kids---that there are alot of wonderful things about Christmas besides the presents. My son is enchanted with this book and requests it again and again--the best recommendation of all.
on December 15, 2003
I see a lot of reviewers writing that these should not be a substitute for the old Little House books, but why can't they be read in addition to them? The illustrations are lovely, and I like to think that a Wisconsin native is doing them in the spirit of Garth Williams' original pictures.
I'm in my 30s and I remember reading these books aloud with my family on cross-country car trips. On one such journey, my mother's calm voice covered the passage where Jack the brindle bulldogs was thought to be lost and we all had tears streaming down our faces. (I'm sure the other drivers on I-70 that day must have thought we were nuts)
In my experience, the picture books make a great supplement to the story books, even starting around age 4. Let's face it, you can never go wrong reading MORE books to your kids. Compared to a lot of the other materials available out there, I consider all of the Little House books -- new and old -- to be incredibly enriching.
Also, if you're looking for similar items, check out books by Astrid Lindgren, a Swedish author. We love "The Tomten" and the "Tomten and the Fox." Sweet, winter landscapes and soothing storylines perfect for bedtime.
on December 5, 1998
I grew up reading the Little House on the Prairie books. Now as an adult and a teacher, I find that so many young girls are not reading these books anymore. When I first saw this book I thought it was a wonderful way to interest preschool age children in these books. I plan to buy more for my two and a half year old daughter. Then perhaps when she is old enough to read the actual series on her own she will have an interest in doing so because of these books.
on October 26, 1999
I am so surprised to see the poor reviews of this book. My girls pull this wonderful book out all year long, and my youngest (5) has most of it memorized. It is a totally endearing book, and pulls you right into the story, so you feel like you are there in the Big Woods. I get such a good feeling from reading it to them. The children in the book received red mittens for Christmas in their stockings, and last year, that is all my girls wanted in their stockings! So I knitted them each a pair and they want to wear them, even though we live out in Nevada now! This is a lovely book and I would recommend it to anyone who likes the Little House series.
on October 3, 2006
I have to laugh at those reviewers who seem so offended by these books! Have you actually read the originals?! These books simply take small exerpts from the originals and simplify them for a younger audience. I too absolutely loved the original books and still do. But I'm not going to be able to read them to my 3 year old without her losing interest. Therefore, I share these shorter versions with her and she loves them. When she's older (the originals are recommended for 8-12 year olds) I'll give her the originals. In the meantime these are fabulous and I very much doubt Laura Ingalls Wilder would take offense to them. Seriously, calm down!!
on February 19, 2005
When we read this book, my daughter kept pointing out the differences between our family and the Ingalls, yet she was fascinated when the characters engaged in common pursuits she enjoys, like the making of snow angels.

This story is full of joy, and one of the few books that can be recommended without reservations for all readers. The illustrations are delightful.
on August 12, 2004
I loved the origional Little House books and have tried several times to read the first in the series to my 4 year old daughter. She has some interest, but just cannot sit for much. We get about a fourth of the way through the book and then she won't come listen any more. My 3 year old daughter is completely turned off by large, pictureless books. We have borrowed several of the "My First Little House" series from the library. These are my 3 year old's favorite books. The pictures are great and really help the children to see what life was like in the old days. The stories are simple enough that my 3 year old can understand and will listen. She will also "read" the book to herself. I hope these books will spark interest in my daughters so that when they are ready we can read the origionals. My 17 month old son also enjoys the Farmer Boy books.
on July 9, 1998
...I don't know Laura either and my 5 year old had never heard of her until we got these books. Let's judge the books on their own merit. They present the simple beauty, and strong family values, of a certain way of life. They are about love and commitment but don't preach to the young reader. They are about living with, and in, nature without an environmental lecture. If the real books are so much better -- hurray!! -- I can't wait until my daughter can read them. In the meantime, she loves these beginner books!!
on January 26, 2016
This book is lovely. My oldest has already listened to all the originals, but he liked listening as we used this book to introduce the younger kids to the series. This was great because we ended up getting invited to see a Little House Christmas play not longer after reading this, and our four-year-old definitely understood more of it. The illustrations are just what you'd expect and the text captures the feel of the book.

Notable: our seven-year-old read this enthusiastically, even though he normally trudges through reading. Works for kids reading Level 2 or Level 3 books.
on April 17, 2016
I grew up reading the Little House books as a child and can't wait to read them with my daughters when they are older. They aren't old enough to sit through a chapter book without many pictures, however. I was really thrilled to discover this My First Little House series. My toddler loves reading these books with us. The pictures are really nice too.