5.0 out of 5 stars Joyful and Real
Published on November 18, 2011 by Paris Wilson Loesch

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor Photography
Published on November 22, 2011 by Jan E.

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor Photography, November 22, 2011
This review is from: Christmas with the First Ladies: The White House Decorating Tradition from Jacqueline Kennedy to Michelle Obama (Hardcover)
I purchased this book as a gift, but returned it after looking through it. I was expecting beautiful, professional photography of the White House decorated for Christmas, but the photos are mostly snapshots, poor ones, of the first families and of holiday items. The clincher was on page 134...a close-up shot of the top of a dog's head (supposedly the Bush's Barney)...you can't see his face, what he's doing, or that he's at the White House. I can't imagine how this photo made it into this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Joyful and Real, November 18, 2011
This book seems to give you a unique glimpse into the "real" White House. The back stories, personal photos and recipes make the First Family seem real and truly just like so many of us Americans. I love that it covers so many different decades and presidencies while showing us that "family holiday traditions" essentially remain the same. The author also does a great not bringing any politics into the matter. I'd like to buy some of the ornaments if they are being sold today - does anyone know?

2.0 out of 5 stars A Very Average Book, November 25, 2011
This book was ok, but again, disappointing. I had hoped for beautiful, professional photos and most of them were blurry, uninspiring snapshots. Having visited the White House during Christmas, I had wanted to learn more about what goes on behind the scenes. Instead, I noticed that the author and writer missed significant details and glossed over others.

The section on the Obamas is very disappointing. Perhaps an understated political commentary by the author?

Whoever the ghost writer was on this book didn't have their heart in it. Very stilted, boring writing that doesn't convey the excitement and grandeur of a White House Christmas.

Too bad, with the right author, this could have been an exceptional book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Photography and writing., November 18, 2012
I bought this book for my mother as a present. Before giving it to her I read it and found it to be outstanding. Contrary to Jan E. (I guess the prescription for her glasses must have expired) the photography is top notch. It made me feel as if I was actually in the White House for the holidays. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who loves the holiday season.

4.0 out of 5 stars A walk down Presidential memory lane, October 1, 2012
Nice combo of Christmas traditons of First Families in context of historical setting and era. Nostalgic. As a 60 yr old, I remembered the families and enjoyed reading how they brought their holiday traditions to the White House. I plan to give this book to a few older women friends this coming holiday season. Probably would not be appreciated by those too young to remember the Kennedy, Johnson, Carter, eras.

5.0 out of 5 stars Holiday and History all in One!!!, November 28, 2011
The book is the perfect mix of Christmas fun! I love all things Jackie O. so it was a no brainer for my kids to give me this book to kick off the holidays! The pages are lined with lots of lovely pics and holiday decorating ideas. Holiday and history all in one!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very original, December 23, 2012
I purchased this book after enjoying the Christmas at the White House but the book was basically the same thing. The pictures were pretty poor quality and not as substantial as in the other book. The information was interesting but nothing really new.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great additon to my collection, November 9, 2011
J. Lange (bloomfield, nj United States) - See all my reviews
This book is truly a beautiful and wonderful history of the White House decorating traditions. The photographs are well selected and the writing very thoughtful. It is a book that I will enjoy having in my collection. I will be purchasing more for gifts.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Book of Absolute Enjoyment, March 2, 2014
As a person who has a passion for entertaining, I am always looking for new ides for the Christmas holidays. This book is a perfect way for me to bring the past into the now for my guests this holiday season. From Jackie Kennedy's trinket gift boxes to Laura Bush's winter wonderland, this book will remain on my coffee table throughout the year. The mouthwatering recipes and craft projects were a keen insight to the personalities of our First Ladies. I enjoyed the colorful photo's especially the photo's capturing them in a relaxed setting enjoying Christmas. I remember watching the broadcast of Laura Bush's tour of the White House back in the 80's. I was in awe of the winter wonderland she created with artificial snow. The People's House sparkled and the photo in this book vividly captured my memories with detail and brought back memories. This is a book of sheer enjoyment and I will be purchasing several more for my dearest friends who share a love of history and "The People's House."

3.0 out of 5 stars Christmas with the First Ladies, January 10, 2014
I was hoping it would have more on Jackie Kennedy. I would have liked more pictures. Again, I don't know if I would have purchased it if I saw it in a store and leafed through it.

$29.95 $22.47