Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback May4th

Format: DVD|Change

on November 27, 2004
Being a big fan of Christmas-themed movies and having read the John Grisham novel on which this was based, I was definitely looking forward to this movie. Therefore, despite Ebert's bad review, I convinced my family to see it after our Thanksgiving dinner. With two kids in college now, there aren't many chances for us to all go to a movie together. And maybe there's another reason for that----generational gap in taste. My husband and I enjoyed this alot, while our two offspring agreed it was probably the worst movie they had ever seen. There you have it, mixed reviews.

While it's true there is no earth-shaking revelation in this one (unless you count a reaffirmation of the true meaning of Christmas), no high-tech wizardry, no spectacular chase scenes, no lusty sex or mind-numbing profanity, I found this a most enjoyable way to spend an afternoon. What it did have was a look at the importance of family, friends, and community. What it did have was honest laughter and the realization that only an idiot would try to forego the most important holiday of all. The fact that the neighborhood looked more like one from 1954 instead of 2004 only added to the enjoyment for me. After all, nostalgia is a large part of the holiday, right?

For those unfamiliar with the story, Luther Krank (Tim Allen) is upset to realize that the cost of Christmas is about $6,000. A bit sad since his only child is now in the Peace Corps and will not be home for Christmas, he convinces his wife Nora (Jamie Lee Curtis) that it would be foolish to spend all that money on decorations, donations, gifts, and their annual Christmas Eve bash. For less money, they could take a Caribbean cruise and enjoy life in the islands. Skipping Christmas sounds, at first, like a brilliant idea. But the neighbors won't allow it. Led by neighborhood watchdog Vic Frohmeyer (Dan Aykroyd), they insist on upholding traditions (like putting a giant Frosty on every rooftop) and do not take at all kindly to the Kranks' breaking with the wishes of the neighborhood. The twist comes at the last minute when the daughter decides she can't miss the Christmas celebrations she has always loved and flies in from Peru with her fiance. How will the Kranks explain the darkened house, no tree, no Frosty, and the fact they are sailing at noon?

While it is not the greatest Christmas movie I've ever seen, I did enjoy this one and recommend it for those not jaded by recent Hollywood offerings. If you like good clean movies that leave you smiling, this one's for you.
22 comments|143 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 30, 2005
Good for the whole family.

Nice to find a movie that is "safe" to watch around kids. not a "kid" movie, really, but, it's safe. Lighthearted, fun, a wee bit of slapstick humor.

Love Tim Allen, he was about the same guy that he is in all his movies. The father type that tries hard, but falls short, gets into a jam, and makes us laugh. Yup, that was him in this movie. but, he DID make me laugh. So, worth the price of a ticket. (or a dvd.)

Jamie Lee Curtis, can be annoying, but in this movie, she was sweet, a good complimentary wife to Tim. She is not as funny, but, did fine. She had some good lines too, actually.

The Daughter could have been played by any young 20 ish actress, she didn't get much airtime. Pleasant and cute though, as was the boyfriend that she brought home. He was adorable, but had a very small part.

A neighbor kid was played by Erik Per Sullivanrik, the little brother, Dewey, off Malcolm. Cute funny kid. The Boy Scout leader / nosey neighbor was a HOOT and done perfectly by Dan Aykroyd.

Me and my dear Norman popped some popcorn and cuddled on the sofa to watch this DVD, and we enjoyed it a lot. Not deep, by any means. Just a nice holiday fun.

You should buy it. Maybe buy from the nice sellers on Amazon that sell used, but perfect condition DVDs (shhhh... save some money that way!) a free tip from your Grandma Sally! ho ho ho!!
on November 13, 2012
Saw "Christmas With The Kranks" when it first hit the theaters. It struck me as kind of dumb, somewhat obnoxious, and highly improbable. My wife and her sister laughed through the enitre movie. My brother-in-law and I looked at each other and shrugged. We didn't get it. I looked around the theater, and found most of those laughing - were women. Their dates were looking as bewildered as us. It was as if the movie was intended as an in-joke for women.

A year later, "Christmas With The Kranks" came out on DVD. I picked up a copy for my wife, and as you'd expect, she talked me into watching it with her. I found myself almost liking it. The next evening, with the house to myself - I decided to play it again. I don't even know why.

But, it all began to make sense. I could see what my wife, her sister, and all the women in the theater found so funny. It isn't the over-the-top, slapstick of Tim Allen (who I am a fan of). It's the subtle humor of the more true-to-life Jamie Lee Curtis. She's the perfect foil for Tim Allen. But more than that - she's the unsung STAR of this Christmas comedy. Once I understood that - the movie became very funny for me. Now, it's a staple of our Christmas classics viewing.
on October 25, 2010
"Christmas With The Kranks" is the one of the best Christmas movies that really gets you into the Holiday spirit!

I watch this movie every year and I cannot get enough of it! Watching Nora Krank in her cute little Christmas vests and turtleneck shirts make me want to go out and get some of my own!! This movie has the spirit that everyone should have on and around Christmas.

It has lots of laughs and giggles in it but very heartfelt moments as well. Its October right now, and I've watched it twice already. I'm very much so ready for Christmas thanks to this movie!

Plus, the Actor line up is amazing! :) Hope this helps!

Jamie Lee Curtis - Nora Krank
Tim Allen - Luther Krank
Dan Aykroyd - Vic Fromyer
on December 25, 2013
This was the second time I was forced to watch this awful movie. All the characters were obnoxious, the acting was poor, the premise stupid. Why couldn't this dumb couple (Tim Allen and Jamie Lee Curtis) just tell their daughter they were going on a cruise for Christmas, instead of all the elaborate junk they had to do just so she could have this perfect Christmas to come home to? I get upset just thinking about it. The neighbors were all annoying, the comedy was unfunny to me. Why anyone thinks this was a funny movie is beyond me. We should have watched the first "Santa Claus" movie--Tim Allen was better in that one anyway. Yes, the final few minutes were touching, but certainly not worth watching this poor movie for.
on January 24, 2005
i loved this movie the story great the actors and actors great and the story off skipping christmas is pretty orignal i have never seen a movie this great before it was also very funny loved it i cant wait for the dvd bottom line dont i repeat DONT LISTEN TO THE CRITICS AND SEE THE FILM ITS ME FAVORITE!!!!!!!!!!
on November 23, 2015
If you haven't see this movie you should. It is a very funny, family friendly movie. Tim Allen reminds me of my father so much in this movie...playing the some what grumpy, stubborn but accidentally hysterical middle aged man.
on January 1, 2016
I saw this movie on tv this past holiday and I enjoyed it so I figured I would add it to my collection. Good acting, and a little bit of a different plot than most Christmas movies, so it is a nice change of pace. The ending though is somewhat strange and awkward, but I won't give it away for those who haven't seen the movie. Basically when the Krank's daughter says she isn't going to be there for Christmas, they decide to go on a cruise and essentially boycott Christmas. This causes problems within their neighborhood which is full of Christmas tradition and Cheer. But once their daughter surprises them with a phone call that she and her fiance will actually make it for Christmas, they need to abort their plans and try to throw together a Christmas atmosphere. An entertaining movie.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon December 20, 2015
A Christmas favorite. The harsh reviews....really? It is fantasy and fun based off a fictional book. Lighten up. This movie has a ton of humor and extremely Christmasee to satisfy that longing we sometimes cant find. With the snow, the lights, the family plans, etc. Although the entire kid and letting the crook out of the cop car and robbery scenes were odd and didn't really fit in the movie. I love Tim Allen he is a part of our Christmas tradition in this movie as well as the Santa Claus series. He's just truly a funny, great actor. Jamie Lee awesome in this as well! The tanning scenes are off the charts and can not believe she did that scene I am cracking up just thinking about it! Sit back with a spiked egg nog and enjoy! Merry Christmas!!
on August 5, 2005
Okay, 1st of all, this movie was intended for family viewing, not for the people who like such "fine viewing" as the viewers of "stacked" or "fat actress" and I use my sarcastic vioce, too. The only thing that was intended for this movie, was to have fun and just laugh at the sit-com style of comedy,its no I Love Lucy hilaridy,but still manages to hold its own as a fun family film. Oh, by the way Jamie has a "Halloween" inside joke for you parents out there. This a great movie for anybody who enjoys to laugh. No Scrooges alowed!!