4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet and Sentimental Christmas Movie
Published on November 27, 2004 by Antoinette Klein

3.0 out of 5 stars I laughed a little, not much, but some....
Hmmm, This one is kind of a toss-up, on one side, you've got Jamie Lee Curtis, who is still gorgeous and still a pretty decent comic actress. Then on the other side, we have Tim Allen, who I have not liked in anything except for a few Home Improvement episodes (Ok, i'll give him Galaxy Quest, but Sigourney Weaver's cleavage had alot to do with that as well)

So,...
Published on November 13, 2005 by Jason W. Kaiser

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet and Sentimental Christmas Movie, November 27, 2004
Antoinette Klein (Hoover, Alabama USA) - See all my reviews
Being a big fan of Christmas-themed movies and having read the John Grisham novel on which this was based, I was definitely looking forward to this movie. Therefore, despite Ebert's bad review, I convinced my family to see it after our Thanksgiving dinner. With two kids in college now, there aren't many chances for us to all go to a movie together. And maybe there's another reason for that----generational gap in taste. My husband and I enjoyed this alot, while our two offspring agreed it was probably the worst movie they had ever seen. There you have it, mixed reviews.

While it's true there is no earth-shaking revelation in this one (unless you count a reaffirmation of the true meaning of Christmas), no high-tech wizardry, no spectacular chase scenes, no lusty sex or mind-numbing profanity, I found this a most enjoyable way to spend an afternoon. What it did have was a look at the importance of family, friends, and community. What it did have was honest laughter and the realization that only an idiot would try to forego the most important holiday of all. The fact that the neighborhood looked more like one from 1954 instead of 2004 only added to the enjoyment for me. After all, nostalgia is a large part of the holiday, right?

For those unfamiliar with the story, Luther Krank (Tim Allen) is upset to realize that the cost of Christmas is about $6,000. A bit sad since his only child is now in the Peace Corps and will not be home for Christmas, he convinces his wife Nora (Jamie Lee Curtis) that it would be foolish to spend all that money on decorations, donations, gifts, and their annual Christmas Eve bash. For less money, they could take a Caribbean cruise and enjoy life in the islands. Skipping Christmas sounds, at first, like a brilliant idea. But the neighbors won't allow it. Led by neighborhood watchdog Vic Frohmeyer (Dan Aykroyd), they insist on upholding traditions (like putting a giant Frosty on every rooftop) and do not take at all kindly to the Kranks' breaking with the wishes of the neighborhood. The twist comes at the last minute when the daughter decides she can't miss the Christmas celebrations she has always loved and flies in from Peru with her fiance. How will the Kranks explain the darkened house, no tree, no Frosty, and the fact they are sailing at noon?

While it is not the greatest Christmas movie I've ever seen, I did enjoy this one and recommend it for those not jaded by recent Hollywood offerings. If you like good clean movies that leave you smiling, this one's for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute, Sweet, Family Fun - Ho HO HO, December 30, 2005
This review is from: Christmas with the Kranks (DVD)
Good for the whole family.

Nice to find a movie that is "safe" to watch around kids. not a "kid" movie, really, but, it's safe. Lighthearted, fun, a wee bit of slapstick humor.

Love Tim Allen, he was about the same guy that he is in all his movies. The father type that tries hard, but falls short, gets into a jam, and makes us laugh. Yup, that was him in this movie. but, he DID make me laugh. So, worth the price of a ticket. (or a dvd.)

Jamie Lee Curtis, can be annoying, but in this movie, she was sweet, a good complimentary wife to Tim. She is not as funny, but, did fine. She had some good lines too, actually.

The Daughter could have been played by any young 20 ish actress, she didn't get much airtime. Pleasant and cute though, as was the boyfriend that she brought home. He was adorable, but had a very small part.

A neighbor kid was played by Erik Per Sullivanrik, the little brother, Dewey, off Malcolm. Cute funny kid. The Boy Scout leader / nosey neighbor was a HOOT and done perfectly by Dan Aykroyd.

Me and my dear Norman popped some popcorn and cuddled on the sofa to watch this DVD, and we enjoyed it a lot. Not deep, by any means. Just a nice holiday fun.

You should buy it. Maybe buy from the nice sellers on Amazon that sell used, but perfect condition DVDs (shhhh... save some money that way!) a free tip from your Grandma Sally! ho ho ho!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Christmas Movie!, October 25, 2010
Angel TImoneri (North Royalton, OH) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Christmas with the Kranks (DVD)
"Christmas With The Kranks" is the one of the best Christmas movies that really gets you into the Holiday spirit!

I watch this movie every year and I cannot get enough of it! Watching Nora Krank in her cute little Christmas vests and turtleneck shirts make me want to go out and get some of my own!! This movie has the spirit that everyone should have on and around Christmas.

It has lots of laughs and giggles in it but very heartfelt moments as well. Its October right now, and I've watched it twice already. I'm very much so ready for Christmas thanks to this movie!

Plus, the Actor line up is amazing! :) Hope this helps!

Jamie Lee Curtis - Nora Krank
Tim Allen - Luther Krank
Dan Aykroyd - Vic Fromyer

5.0 out of 5 stars Spend Christmas With The Kranks!!, August 5, 2005
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Christmas with the Kranks (DVD)
Okay, 1st of all, this movie was intended for family viewing, not for the people who like such "fine viewing" as the viewers of "stacked" or "fat actress" and I use my sarcastic vioce, too. The only thing that was intended for this movie, was to have fun and just laugh at the sit-com style of comedy,its no I Love Lucy hilaridy,but still manages to hold its own as a fun family film. Oh, by the way Jamie has a "Halloween" inside joke for you parents out there. This a great movie for anybody who enjoys to laugh. No Scrooges alowed!!

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it dont listen to the critics, January 24, 2005
A Kid's Review
i loved this movie the story great the actors and actors great and the story off skipping christmas is pretty orignal i have never seen a movie this great before it was also very funny loved it i cant wait for the dvd bottom line dont i repeat DONT LISTEN TO THE CRITICS AND SEE THE FILM ITS ME FAVORITE!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, December 30, 2005
This review is from: Christmas with the Kranks (DVD)
Christmas With the Kranks, based on the very amusing novel called "Skipping Christmas," by John Grisham is a hilarious and heartwarming film. It is surprising that the author of legal thrillers wrote such a humorous book.

Luther and Nora Krank (Tim Allen and Jamie Lee Curtis) have always gone all out for Christmas, with a Christmas Eve party, custom-made cards and invitations from the local stationer's, and of course a tree and dinner with Honey Roasted Hickory ham. But this year is different. Their twenty-three year old daughter Blair is off to spend a year in South America with the Peace Corps.

Rather than face Nora's empty nest syndrome and depression, Luther books them on a cruise. All they have to do is skip Christmas. It sounds easy - and liberating - but the neighbors are aghast. Led by the powerful Vic Frohmeyer (Dan Ackroyd), the residents begin an all-out assault of Christmas spirit on their supposedly Grinch-like neighbors. One of the funniest scenes is when a battalion of carolers dressed in Victorian clothes descends on the house, and the measures Luther takes to keep them away.

A twist at the end is one of the most heartwarming Christmas scenes I have ever seen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas with the Kranks, November 1, 2012
This review is from: Christmas with the Kranks (DVD)
DO NOT PAY ATTENTION TO THE NEGATIVE REVIEWS!!!! This movie has all the elements of a comical, sentimental, and emotional flick! We look forward to watching it EVERY year! YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED....or I will "skip Christmas!".:)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Funny, Anytime (not just Christmas) Movie!, January 15, 2009
auroradawn (Elk, WA United States) - See all my reviews
'Christmas With The Kranks' is a movie I like to watch. It is light-hearted, funny, and 'Burby' believable movie. The storyline is very entertaining and the pace of the story at no point drags. Although there are many excellent action/drama movies with exciting plots, this is a delightful change of pace! I believe you will enjoy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars BETTER 2ND TIME AROUND . . . OR 3RD, November 13, 2012
Balcony Bunny (Where am I? . . . I'm Right Here!) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Christmas with the Kranks (DVD)
Saw "Christmas With The Kranks" when it first hit the theaters. It struck me as kind of dumb, somewhat obnoxious, and highly improbable. My wife and her sister laughed through the enitre movie. My brother-in-law and I looked at each other and shrugged. We didn't get it. I looked around the theater, and found most of those laughing - were women. Their dates were looking as bewildered as us. It was as if the movie was intended as an in-joke for women.

A year later, "Christmas With The Kranks" came out on DVD. I picked up a copy for my wife, and as you'd expect, she talked me into watching it with her. I found myself almost liking it. The next evening, with the house to myself - I decided to play it again. I don't even know why.

But, it all began to make sense. I could see what my wife, her sister, and all the women in the theater found so funny. It isn't the over-the-top, slapstick of Tim Allen (who I am a fan of). It's the subtle humor of the more true-to-life Jamie Lee Curtis. She's the perfect foil for Tim Allen. But more than that - she's the unsung STAR of this Christmas comedy. Once I understood that - the movie became very funny for me. Now, it's a staple of our Christmas classics viewing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Christmas with the Kranks, March 13, 2012
This review is from: Christmas with the Kranks (DVD)
The movie, starring Tim Allen and Jamie Lee Curtis, is funny and enjoyable to watch. A must have for the holidays. Great family entertainment.