5.0 out of 5 stars Easy listening with plenty of familiar songs
Published on November 27, 2012 by Peter Durward Harris

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully sung, but lacks passion
As always, Michael Buble's voice is flawless. However, although beautifully orchestrated, his renditions of popular Christmas songs lack passion. My view was further enforced when I saw him perform the songs live. Seems like it's just a job to him.
Published on December 18, 2011 by Sherri L

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy listening with plenty of familiar songs, November 27, 2012
This review is from: Christmas (Audio CD)
With guests including but not limited to the Puppini Sisters (Jingle bells, Frosty the snowman), Shania Twain (White Christmas) and Thalia (Mis Deseos / Feliz Navidad), this album is the kind of album we have come to expect from Michael Bublé. There is one original song here, co-written by Michael with Alan Chang and Bob Rock, that being Cold December night. You might have heard every other song here before, but Michael and his supporting team bring their own distinctive touch to each of them, sometimes staying with an easy listening sound, but veering towards jazz at other times, especially when joined by the Puppini sisters.

The real surprise to me was the inclusion of Santa baby, originally made famous by Eartha Kitt and recorded by many female singers in the years since. Even Madonna recorded it (for the first A Very Special Christmas), but I don't ever remember hearing a male version before. Then again, male versions exist of Stand by your man {the three that I know about are by David Allan Coe, Lyle Lovett and Elton John), so I shouldn't be surprised really. Michael wisely changes the lyrics to sing Santa buddy, and it works well with that modification.

On the ever-popular Silent night, Michael is superbly backed by a children`s choir. I understand that this is the most-recorded Christmas song in the world and it's hard for anybody ro do a really distinctive version while maintaining the feel of the song, but Michael and the children did well. Michael put in another fine performance on Blue Christmas, recapturing the spirit of Elvis in his own way, by jazzing it up.

Apart from the tracks already mentioned, I particularly like those that I hear less frequently (relatively speaking; they are all very familiar to me), such as It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas, A holly jolly Christmas, All I want from Christmas is you (originally written and made famous by Mariah Carey) and Christmas (baby please come home), the classic Phil Spector original.

I've mentioned most of the tracks here, just leaving I'll be home for Christmas, Ave Maria (with an adult choir), The Christmas song (chestnuts roasting on an open fire), Winter wonderland and Silver bells, all of which Michael performs superbly without doing anything radically different with them.

This is an excellent Christmas album, with plenty of familiar songs but enough variation to keep it interesting.

Tracks

1. It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas
2. Santa Claus is coming to town
3. Jingle Bells (with the Puppini Sisters)
4. White Christmas (With Shania Twain)
5. All I want for Christmas is you
6. Holly jolly Christmas
7. Santa Baby
8. Have yourself a merry little Christmas
9. Christmas (baby please come home)
10. Silent night
11. Blue Christmas
12. Cold December night
13. I'll be home for Christmas
14. Ave Maria
15. Mis Deseos / Feliz Navidad (with Thalia)
16. The Christmas song

Bonus tracks

17. Winter Wonderland
18. Frosty The Snowman (with the Puppini Sisters)
19. Silver Bells (with Naturally 7)
20. Michael's Christmas greeting

5.0 out of 5 stars Buble's Christmas masterpiece for the holidays, October 25, 2011
This review is from: Christmas (Audio CD)
Christmas is an absolutely beautifully recorded and sung album by the velvety rat pack voice of Michael Buble. The arrangements are stellar featuring big band and full orchestra backings by some of the best musicians in the business with a great deal of input from Michael himself and genius producer David Foster. Additional production by Bob Rock gives an especially rewarding re-work of Mariah Carey's All I Want For Christmas Is You. Michael slows the tempo way down and turns Mariah's festive version into a very romantic and longing song of desire and passion. What a great version of one of the best Christmas songs written in the last 20 years!

Also quite amazing is Michael's version of Christmas (Baby Please Come Home). Here he wisely sticks to Darlene Love's original arrangement though the brass and drums are recorded so well and sound so bright it might almost make you forget her original version which is also fantastic. Buble modestly said that he might not have her pipes but he sure made up for it with his own punch and swagger. Another classic is given the Buble treatment and the listener cannot help but get drawn into the singers desire to get his baby home as soon as possible.

There are an amazing 15 songs on this version which includes all traditional songs except for one original written by Michael and his piano player Alan Chang, Cold December Night, another romantic and well sung ballad that would go quite well with an eggnog sitting by the fireplace. There are spicy versions of Holly Jolly Christmas and Jingle Bells as well as an awesome duet with Shania Twain on White Christmas that borrows a great deal from the Drifters version featured in the Home Alone movie.

Michael sings a hauntingly beautiful version of Ave Maria where he really shows the richness and clarity of his amazingly beautiful diction and singing technique. Remember this is a guy who closes out many of his concerts by putting the microphone down on the stage and singing the last song without amplification. Silent Night features a tender brass arrangement at the beginning that segues into a beautiful children's choir that sings along with Michael.

Michael Buble's Christmas ranks right up there with the greatest holiday records of all time by Elvis Presley, Nat King Cole and Johnny Mathis. This album is immaculately sung and well produced and is a timeless masterpiece for the ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Christmas (2011) ... Michael Bublé ... Beautiful & Smooth Voice ... Reprise", October 25, 2011
This review is from: Christmas (Audio CD)
Reprise/ Warner presents "CHRISTMAS" (2011), featuring Michael Bublé, finally a singer under the age of 50 who actually listens to the lyrics he's singing and interprets them in a unique way --- Bublé has a rich, smooth, beautiful voice that gives these songs a new dimension --- And his diction...wow, there's a concept --- Listen to "ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS IS YOU" and "I'LL BE HOME FOR CHRISTMAS" and you'll see what I mean, under stated arrangements with that special Bublé touch ~ the last track is "MIS DESEO/FELIZ NAVIDAD" (duet with Thalia), is a fun listen, as you can hear both of the singers enjoying the moment --- Just in time for the holidays a true gem for any Christmas collection.

'Christmas' (track listings/times)

Performance: 5 Stars
Mixing: 5 Stars
Overall: 5 Stars [Arrangements & Song Selection]

Special footnote: If you enjoyed this album, check out Let It Snow Let It Snow

Total Time: 50 mins on 15 Tracks ~ Reprise Records ~ (October 24, 2011)

5.0 out of 5 stars Traditional, Laid-back Feel, October 24, 2011
This review is from: Christmas (Audio CD)
Michael Buble's "Christmas" is a must-addition to your Christmas music collection. This collection of songs offers the traditional, laid-back feel that every Christmas album should embody and is reminiscent of albums from great crooners of the past. While many big stars attempt to rework and mangle Christmas song, Michael Buble chooses to showcase his talent by adding his stellar vocals to classic arrangements that need to be done justice, although the album also adds Buble's signature touch to songs such as "All I Want for Christmas is You." After getting this CD, I think Christmas is going to start early this year as I'll be enjoying Michael Buble's songs every day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes me weak in my knees...again!!!, November 7, 2011
Ok soooo Im a sucker for crooners and romantic music sooooo this is right up my ally but in Christmas style!!!! Michael is fun, romantic, serious all at the same time in this recording...I played it at work on Saturday and I was either weak in my knees or dancing around the room and laughing!!! I love this cd and I know you will 2! ( side note: ok so his version of "Santa Baby" is different and hard to get used to because of the original version always being sung by an woman but he makes it his own soo you will just need to make up your mind if u like or just not like it..)

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Christmas album EVER, October 27, 2011
Workout Queen (Calgary, Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Christmas (Audio CD)
I've been listening to this album for the past few days since I bought it.

I'm a big fan of Christmas music... This is THE BEST Christmas album EVER (Michael, you have replaced Elvis & Bing which were my favorite Christmas albums for the past couple of decades, so I'm serious here!!!).

Every single song is really well done. Each one just as good as the next. There's no skipping tunes here. It is a pleasure to listen to from start to finish, and start over again and again all day long.

Beautiful, enchanting, perfect.

This album makes me happy and brings back wonderful Christmas memories.

Thank you very much Michael!

4.0 out of 5 stars Michael Buble and Christmas...a near perfect mix, November 14, 2011
This review is from: Christmas (Audio CD)
I love Christmas music and love Michael Buble, but was a little dissapointed with this CD. However it is growing on me the more I listen to it. I LOVED the mini-CD he did last year "Let it Snow" so I was expecting more of the same on this CD, but it doesn't have the same umph. On a couple songs I feel like he departed from the original too much and my overall feel is it doesn't seem like he put the time into this one like he did the last one. BUT, having said that, I would definitely buy this CD again and I would definitely recommend getting the Target version with the 3 bonus tracks because they're some of my favorites on the CD. If you like Michael Buble, you will still enjoy this CD, even if it's not your favorite.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't be happier: a vinyl review!, October 23, 2014
Such a well produced album!

Admittedly, I have terrible hearing. I have 20% hearing loss and mild tone deafness. I never understood music as an art form until I began collecting vinyl this year. Since I began this new journey, I've come across quite a few gems (and some absolute turds). This album is one of those gems. I only keep "audiophile" records that allow me to enjoy music in a way that digital cannot and, while I have heard this album a dozen times at Christmas, it was an entirely new experience on vinyl that I will be adding to my collection.

The music: Michael Bublé has a fantastic voice and it fills my heart to hear it so well reproduced on vinyl. The soundstage has all the warmth and depth of a cup of hot chocolate on a cold winter morning. The jazzy instrumentation combined with his mild but soulful voice make for a great Christmas showcase album. Every track has been well mastered to avoid any high note clipping and the bass is thumpy but not overpowering. Everything in between is golden and smooth. The surface noise is non-existant with the exception of the lead-in wax. No pops, no crackle, no static... just sweet Christmas carols.

The album: Pressed on high quality 180g vinyl (mine happened to be red; there is a green variant) and sheathed in a plastic anti-static/anti-scratch sleeve, I am very impressed with the quality of this pressing. The ONLY negative about the presentation is that this should have been a gatefold cover. There is just the slightest pressure getting the album out and I fear it will grade as time marches on. My record is one of the flattest LP's that I own and the deadwax is glossy smooth.

I'm confident that if you like Bublé's work/voice, or a simply looking for a wonderful Christmas album to play, this will bring you much merriment.

NOTE: If you disagree with my review, or don't find it useful, please leave a comment! I always respond. Let's have an adult conversation.

2.0 out of 5 stars This Buble Christmas present disappoints, December 23, 2011
This review is from: Christmas (Audio CD)
Though a big fan of Buble I must say this CD reminded me of the let down one experiences when you're opening a gift from a friend and it ends up being something odd that makes you say to yourself - what? why? geez....

Though there are number of good tracks like "Jingle Bells," All I want for Xmas," "Holly Jolly Xmas," "I'll be home for Xmas," "Cold December," all are nice but none are so wonderful they make you shout, YEA! There are also many odd or downright awful tracks like "Have yourself a Merry Xmas," "Ave Maria," "Blue Xmas," "Santa Buddy," a wierd re-do of Eartha Kitt's classic, "Santa BABY," and the wierdest "White Xmas," ever with mis-matched country singer, Shania Twain, yodeling out THE Xmas pop song most like a national hymn-?! WHO selected her and WHY did they chose this song?

As many others have either raved or groaned about this album in the many reviews already posted I'll just add that though Buble's intentions may have been sincere with this album he unfortunately missed the marked. Firstly the quality of the recording itself is lacking, perhaps because there were so many different producers and engineers working on it that there is no true artistic flow. This recording also lacks the big-band sound that has been so present on many of Michael's other more successful hits - but here there is little definition of the back up instruments and instead we get a wash of sound (I found myself wondering if it they were "real" strings or merely synthesizers, and no crisp, tight ensemble,(there is a very nice guitarist playing back-up on "Ill be home for Xmas," named Grahm Dechter). Most of the arrangements themself seem to lack "zip" and uniquesness found in many of Michael's other recordings, again, ONE artistic director might have guided this christmas sleigh much more successfully. Instead many have some quirky "new" arrangement or sound, like "White Xmas," which has never been stranger than heard here.

Here lies the biggest disappointment for me; the inconsistency of arrangments and singing on this much anticipated holiday album. Michael - WHAT were you thinking? -- "Santa BUDDY" ???!!! "Blue Chirstmas," ???? "Ave Maria?" (with many errors in the proununciation of the Latin, oh, and this masterpiece was written by Franz Schubert,one of the greatest composers of German Lieder/Song ever, not "traditional" as so wrongly listed in the jumbled, hard to read, poorly edited, program notes!

Unlike Buble's first great, brief holiday album, LET IT SNOW, this one will not be getting played much and I sure won't be giving it as a lovely gift to friends as it is just too inconsistent, lackluster, and wierd. Hard to know why such an important project missed the mark, but here's hoping Michael hires a great arranger, a great producer and a great sound engineer and turns out a higher quality album, in Nelson Riddle/Frank Sinatra fashion, and puts some zip and zing in another, better thought out, produced and executed, new holiday album.

Merry Christmas!
jpd / Grand Junction, CO

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully sung, but lacks passion, December 18, 2011

Christmas
Christmas by Michael Bublé (Audio CD - 2011)