Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Amethyst Jewelry Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

Format: Audio CDChange

on November 21, 1999
Another fantastic CD from Amy Grant. I never thought she could top "Home for Christmas," but she did! Her somber and holy rendition of "Silent Night" is the best I've heard, and I absolutely love "Mr. Santa." I can't stop listening to the title cut, "A Christmas to Remember." This is a MUST HAVE Christmas CD from an outstanding musician and person.
11 comment19 of 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 30, 1999
Having practically worn out my copy of HOME FOR CHRISTMAS for the last seven years, I must admit I had doubts as to whether A CHRISTMAS TO REMEMBER could compare. After hearing this new one only one time, though, my doubts immediately diminished. The entire CD is truly wonderful and will become another staple in my Christmas music collection.
The title track is wonderful... very contemporary in sound, but lyrically could be significant for years. My personal favorite on the CD is "Christmas Lullaby (I Will Lead You Home)" This is classic Amy... very simple, yet absolutely profound at the same time. Beautiful. The two instrumentals are great, too. And her version of "Jingle Bell Rock" , um, well, rocks. Her voice really shines on this one.
My only complaint is the album's length... I could listen to an Amy CD for hours!
on November 20, 1999
This Christmas album, Amy's third contribution, is her best one yet! Great variety, and deeply moving instrumental pieces as well as fun versions of favorite classics. I especially enjoy her version of "Mister Santa". (A parady of sorts on the 50's hit "Mister Sandman") If you really enjoy the music of the Christmas season, you need to buy this one!
on November 30, 1999
Keeping with reviewing the content of the CD and not Amy's personal life, I would like to say that this is indeed a great Christmas album if not the best of 1999. She has chosen Christmas songs that are as enduring as time itself. The music on this album is lush, and teams well with Amy's voice. Christmas would not be the same without an Amy Grant CD playing, and this is one I'm glad I added to my collection.
on December 6, 1999
I was among quite a few skeptical fans when I heard that Amy's next release would be yet another Christmas album. Nevertheless, I looked forward to hearing a new album from her in less than the usual three year gap between them, and I hoped that it would be as good, if not better, than her earlier Christmas works. I have not been disappointed.
Of Amy's two earlier seasonal offerings, I prefer her 1983 A CHRISTMAS ALBUM. It offers a contemporary blend of upbeat new songs and timeless classics with a style all her own. 1992's HOME FOR CHRISTMAS has grown on me, though most of it seems to try too hard to emulate the classics.
A CHRISTMAS TO REMEMBER is sort of a cross between the two, albeit with its own unique sound. The upbeat style of the title track contrasts with her breathtaking cover of "Silent Night." (Why she chose to do only two verses of the song I'll never understand.)
Amy's voice is naturally suited to the cozy "Christmas Can't Be Very Far Away." Surprising are her unique renditions of "Jingle Bell Rock" -- a departure from the carbon copy remakes other artists have made -- and "Mr. Santa," which features a very talented backup quartet.
Is this her best Christmas album yet? Only time will tell; while her latest nonseasonal work, BEHIND THE EYES, garnered top honors among fans soon after its release, a recent survey by the "Friends of Amy" fan club revealed that most still favor her 1988 release, LEAD ME ON. Here's hoping that A CHRISTMAS TO REMEMBER will repeat the platinum and triple-platinum successes of her earlier two holiday albums, and that next year's album will showcase Amy's talent well.
on November 14, 1999
Amy Fans! Fear not that this is her 3rd Christmas album. Amy has done it again. If "Breath of Heaven" makes you cry, you will love "Chistmas Lullaby". "Til the Season Comes 'Round Again" is good for your sentimental side. And there's plenty of cheer, too. It's obvious Amy Grant loves Christmas for all the right reasons - Jesus, family and a great time. Happy Holidays!
on November 8, 1999
I have followed Amy Grant's career since her inception as a teenage contemporary Christian artist. It was her style that installed in me a hunger for the contemporary style. I have attended her concerts on many occasions and have enjoyed her voice, style, energy and heart. She has a smooth and gentle delivery. This is reflected in her current Christmas CD. It is fresh, stylish and enjoyable. However, it does lack a smidgeon of some of the vibrancy, energy and heart which is strongly evident in her first 2 Christmas CD's. No matter she still remains an appealing, satisfying and entertaining Christian artist. You will still be satisfied with her current CD.
on January 15, 2006
I must strongly disagree with the first reviewer about this CD! I do agree that the CD would have been better without "Jingle Bell Rock" and "Mister Santa." They are cute, but they don't seem to fit in very well with the other songs. That said, this CD is full of gems like the hauntingly beautiful "Christmas Lullaby" and "Welcome to Our World." There are two beautiful instrumentals, "Highland Cathedral" and "Gabriel's Oboe." "Til' The Season Comes Round Again" is tenderly sung, and "Christmas Can't Be Very Far Away" sets the right note at the beginning of the CD. I don't have a problem with the fact that these songs weren't written by Amy herself (Michael W. Smith, Chris Rice and others wrote many of them). Also, I don't think the fact that Amy is divorced should affect one's decision to buy this CD! While sad, her divorce in no way diminishes her talent and beautiful voice. I love this Christmas CD as much as the first two. Please do yourself a favor and give it a chance -- I don't think you'll be disappointed.
on October 25, 1999
In "A Christmas To Remember", Amy Grant once again captures the magic of the season with her inspired lyrics. Recorded with a symphony orchestra, Grant's voice has a rich and deep quality reminiscent of her "Straight Ahead" and "Lead Me On" albums. The songs are perfectly sequenced and take the listener on a wonderful journey from the first and title track right through to the hauntingly beautiful re-make of Michael W. Smith's "Agnus Dei".....and I defy anyone to listen to "Christmas Lullaby (I will lead you home)" without shedding a tear!
As a longtime fan, I can honestly recommend this album to anyone who loves Amy, who loves Christmas, or who loves inspired music....because on this CD, you get the best of all three.
on December 3, 1999
i rec'd this free as a gift from a friend but it was worth all the money i could make. amy is beautiful, unreal, ethereal almost, this proves her forte is NOT that pop stuff but rather the religious sector. this is the best christmas cd i have heard in YEARS. [thank you David P. for giving it to me; you're so handsome & successful; i'm glad to know ya] my favorite cut from this cd is probably the last, it is just so spiritual, so almost chantlike, sigh. THIS CD IS THE BEST CHRISTMAS CD YOU COULD BUY THIS YR OR ANY!
T O T A L HEAVEN.
0Comment12 of 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse