Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 115 reviews(3 star). Show all reviews
VINE VOICEon November 24, 2013
This was the perfect opportunity to REALLY do it right. One of the most beloved holiday movies of all-time was having its 30th anniversary, and there's a huge fanbase waiting and willing to pay for the ultimate in a quality remastering of both the video and audio of A Christmas Story. So what do we get? Some modest tweaks to the mono audio and no video improvements at all. It's such a cynical ploy to re-sell the same movie while making the most minimal effort possible to improve it, that it feels like Scut Farkus just took my money.

While I appreciate the added featurette, this 30th Anniversary Edition could have been and should have been SO much better than this. Obviously, this is a five-star+ movie, but I'm being generous in giving this Anniversary edition three stars for the effort in creating it. Thanks so much for taking the time to read my review, and I hope you find it helpful in making a buying decision.
66 comments|261 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 27, 2013
I have to agree with a few of the other reviewers with respect to expecting more from the 30th Anniversary blu-ray edition. It's really not that much better than my dvd version from 10 years ago. The audio is a bit better, but I really wish they would have remastered the video and added even more bonus features that haven't been seen before. The tin case is a nice touch though.

This is a 3 star release of a 5 star movie.
on December 17, 2014
OK, so the title of this review is a bit harsh, but I think I got ripped off...
I give this 3 Stars. The movie is a classic worth 5 stars on it's own, but you expect a little more from an HD Anniversary edition.
Pros:

+ Comes with Digital (UV) and DVD copy (one or both are standard these days with Blu-Ray discs)
+ Nice tin case

Cons:

- Mono DTS Sound (Instead of 2, 6, or 8 audio channels, it has one... but it has a REALLY high bitrate, so they thought that was good enough)
- No noticeable visual improvement over the DVD in this same box...

In Short... Don't get this, get the DVD as cheap as you can get it, and wait until someone actually takes the short amount of time needed to remaster this movie correctly. There is absolutely NO noticeable difference between the Blu Ray and the DVD in my Blu-ray player.

Most of the time, there is a night and day difference when watching a DVD vs Blu Ray, even when using an up-converting DVD player (which my Blu-Ray player does with DVDs)... This is an exception... I honestly think they just copied it from a DVD using some up-conversion software... 30th Anniversary Blu Ray? not worth it.

Edit:
Since writing this review, I have done a few shot-to-shot comparisons of the BluRay vs DVD... The BluRay is slightly crisper, but not much. You really have to look at tiny details to see it, but most of the screen looks identical. Having seen several older movies that have been correctly remastered for BluRay, this is a disappointment in comparison... I still think it's worth waiting and living with the DVD copy unless you can find the BluRay version cheap.
on October 18, 1999
I bought this DVD version hoping that the transfer would be of a somewhat higher quality than the former MGM DVD release. Unfortunately, it looks like they may have simply taken the pan and scan version that Turner owns (the Turner logo is prominently featured) and runs each year on TBS, and simply cleaned the video and sound up a bit.
The video quality is fairly clean (no obvious scratches, dirt, hair lines, etc) and the sound is clear, but at times sounds like a slightly warped record (wavy notes).
In the area of supplements, the DVD comes only with alternate languages, subtitles, and the theatrical trailer.
This transfer is obviously not taken from the original print, and it's a shame, because it deserves it. The title, however, is worth the money regardless. The price is fair, and if a souped-up version is released in the future, it won't be for a year or two. In the meantime, given its price point, it's a good buy for those who love the movie.
on December 8, 2002
There. I've finally ensured that this title will be available in a widescreen special edition. Any time I break down and finally buy a DVD of a favorite film which seems to refuse to break into special edition form, within 12 months, it happens. I did this with Holy Grail, Evil Dead 2, and Wallace and Gromit.
As I view it now, I find this edition to be very viewable. It looks better than it does on TV every year. It is clear and I see no compression artifacts. Sound is fine, although monaural. I would like to see it widescreen, fully restored, with commentary or retrospective interviews. It surprises me to know that the original laserdisc presentation was, in widescreen (1.66:1). Why they didn't carry this over to the DVD is beyond me.
As others have written, I give this movie 5 stars and the presentation drags it, kicking and screaming, to 3. I'll write a new reivew review in a year's time once it goes SE.
on December 20, 2011
Still a great movie, but the Bluray wasn't anything special. I'm no tech expert, but I didn't feel like it looked any better than what you'll see on DVD.
VINE VOICEon February 13, 2016
Not too bad, but not great ether. Watched it because it is considered classic. It was hard to connect with the parenting style and many situations seemed contrived. Certain hidden adult jokes made it watchable. For children holiday comedy I prefer Home Alone.
on January 23, 2016
Wanted to have this in my collection due to it being a classic film. Can only watch it once or twice a season because otherwise it gets very tedious but definitely a movie everyone should have in their collection around the holidays.
on July 7, 2015
Somethings seem better when you're a kid, unless your a kid born 25 years after this movie was made. I've never been interested in watching this, but my husband insisted our daughter watch it (she's 7). Needless to say she got about fifteen minutes into it before wondering off.
on December 28, 2012
My family watches this every year and we love it, however, the quality of the movie was very poor. I buy from Amazon all the time and am usually not disappointed with my purchases. This was one of those disappointments.