Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 57 reviews(2 star). Show all reviews
on September 2, 2000
This is a must-see, completely charming, wonderfully acted (and I usually don't like child actors), heart-warming without being too mushy, Holiday Season story.
But they made the DVD in Pan&Scan (except the opening credits, which are in widescreen). SHAME ON THE DVD PRODUCER!
The whole idea of DVDs was that there's ample space for both widescreen and pan&scan versions. P&S (now called "Full Screen Format" -- to make you think it's a good thing) makes movies look like made-for-tv shows, with no vistas and too many closeups.
How about an un-modified version of this terrific movie?
55 comments|128 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 10, 2015
I know everyone likes this film as a Christmas classic but my wife and I aren't in that group. We both saw it years ago, didn't like it and decided to try it again to see if our opinions had been too harsh. The product quality is fine in regard to the merchandise but we both found the movie just as bad as we'd originally felt years earlier.
on May 21, 2013
I hate to say anything bad about this film because it is a great film. When it was tranfered to Blu-Ray they did a lousy job. It's not worth buying, that's for sure. You just don't know what you are getting with some of the old Blu-Ray films being released. Too bad!
on November 28, 1999
Classic movie, but non-widescreen transfer that suffers from "wavy-ness" and other odd defects really ruined it for me. Also mono sound! Argh
on February 1, 2014
My husband and I hadn't watched this in years and decided to rent it to watch with our kids. We knew of a couple parts where we might have to be careful but we were not expecting all the bad language. Obviously we should have screened it before watching it with the kids but they don't know all the bad words yet. We simply didn't remember all of the language. That's a big deal in our household.
on January 31, 2014
So this review is not in anyway a slam on the movie. LOVE THE MOVIE. This review is strictly a commentary on the encoding of the DVD. It was horrible. The sound wasn't of dvd quality and neither was the picture. Quite honestly, it appeared as though someone stuck a VHS in a player and upconverted it to DVD format. Really disappointed in the visual/sound quality. I would save your money and find another seller and or publisher of this movie.
on December 25, 2013
We love, love, love this movie, and it's a must-see in our house at Christmas, although normally we watch it on the 24 hours that TBS runs it. We watched the DVD last night and were disappointed in the quality of the picture. It's on TBS right now, and the picture on TBS is so much clearer and sharper than the DVD. Too bad.
on December 26, 2014
I had thought that this was a kid's movie but it was more for adults. I did not appreciate the swearing in the movie either.
on January 2, 2016
I don't like it, because there was a lot of yelling, crying, arguing, and a couple of violence. This movie is all crap!!!
on January 7, 2016
it goes nowhere!! try Christmas carole 1952 1938 version its a wonderful life !!god bless rev. doug