Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on December 2, 2004
I have quite a collection of Christmas albums/cd's but somehow I've missed this album/cd. Just recently I obtained a copy of this album/cd. I picked up this cd based on Roger Whittaker's other work. I've always enjoyed his minstrel style of singing. In fact I picked up this cd without even looking at the songs. When I went to play the cd I realized that none of the songs were familiar to me. I began to feel as though I'd made a mistake. How wrong I was.

Roger Whittaker, in his troubadour fashion, is able to create a warm and inviting Christmas atmosphere. Just about every selection tells a story and encourages the listener to use his/her imagination. As I've only just heard the cd, I've not been able to choose a favorite selection yet. I really enjoyed "A Time For Peace." The fact that this album is so higly recommended by the reviewers here at Amazon.com should suggest just what a good cd this is.

With so many Christmas albums/cd's the songs are familiar and offer nothing new, save the singing style of the performer(s) this album/cd is like a breath of fresh air. With this album each song is uniquely Roger Whittaker's. From his unique singing style to the unique songs this album/cd is a stand out album/cd. I'd be willing to bet that if you play this album while at a Christmas party the guests, while they may not recall all the standard Christmas songs or the performers, will leave the party with this album having made a positive impression.
on December 4, 2000
As with many others, I grew up listening to my parents play their Christmas albums as we trimmed the tree. One album that always stood out from the other "classics" was Roger Whittaker. It was one of the most original sounds. The lyrics were very meaningful and struck a chord that many of the other traditional Christmas Carols had missed. Now I'm 24 and soon to graduate with two Master's degrees in music, and find myself pulled again to the music that reminds me of home and my family hundreds of miles away. As I listen to these melodies again, I appreciate them on a higher level and they seem, if anything, MORE meaningful to me. I highly recommend this album to anyone. It is a true classic that will forever bring thoughts of home to your heart.
on December 10, 1999
As a little girl I grew up on this music, and when we moved 8 years ago and sold our record player, my whole family and I missed listening to our record of the Roger Whittaker Christmas Album. Today my dad found this wonderful music in the store and bought it. We were all so thrilled! I have always especially liked "Darcy the Dragon" for its story, but being older now also appreciate songs like "The Governor's Dream". "Guten Abend, Guten Nacht" is absolutely beautiful as well as the rest of the songs! I highly reccommend this album to anyone who loves Christmas and it's true meaning! If I have anything to say about it, my family will also grow up on this same music!
on December 14, 2004
Roger Whittaker can take a classic or a song I've never heard before and make it a favorite with me. His mellow voice and timing are sooo perfect.

This contains my all-time favorite Whittaker holiday song, "Christmas is here again." Ponder these words:

"All that I want is to be here beside you,

All that I need is right here in my arms,

All that I want is to know that you love me,

And this will be my finest Christmas time."

Play this for your loved ones with the Christmas tree lights twinkling and a cup of cocoa in hand.
on December 20, 1998
When setting down to record a Christmas Album, one must first ask : Do we do what everyone else does, or do we do something different? Roger Whittaker, in the early part of his career, does what only He can do......Create a classic Christmas CD AND does it better than anyone else. Chances are, the casual observer will find only two songs of any traditional recognition here: Silent Night and Brahm's Lullabye. Both are performed in non-traditional ways.It is more the unique style and selections here that make this album a classic. Children of all ages will appreciate the Christmas message of "Darcy the Dragon." Songs like "Momma Mary" and "Mighty Like a Rose" appeal to the spiritual aspect of Christmas not just through content but through the beauty of the music. Songs like "Home for Christmas" and "Country Christmas" are traditional sounding but again, I have not heard them performed by anyone else. The song "The Governor's Dream" captures the essance of Christmas from the point of view of a Roman Governer about the time of CHrist's birth. Roger Whittaker fans will not be disappointed, and new fans will be impressed.
on November 30, 1999
This is the ultimate work of Whittaker's career. My family has had it nearly 20 years and it's fresh, fun, and fantastic each and every year. Mama Mary, The Governor's Dream, Darcy the Dragon, It's Christmas Time, and more, all classics! Do yourself a favor -- buy this as a Christmas present for yourself or family. In fact, buy two; you'll want to give one to a friend as well.
VINE VOICEon December 22, 2005
I grew up with Roger Whittaker on TV commercials as The World's Best Selling Singer or some such thing, and never took him seriously. Then we stumbled upon a cassette version of this album, for nothing or near to it, and picked it up for the kids. I expected complete cheesiness and was pleasantly surprised. He has a sort of relaxed storytelling sweet voice, in a moderate register, without a lot of busy-ness. Having then listened to some clips from some of his other albums, I suspect the main reason that I like this album is that I have not heard other versions of most of these songs. If only for the couple of songs that I really like (including Momma Mary) this album is worth having. I'm not sure how many of his other albums I'd get, as I don't always like the way he does music that I already know.
on December 14, 2000
Roger Whittaker rocks your world. This is one of my favorite Christmas albums. I am twenty-five years old and love to hear new Christmas songs. I grew up to this stuff. The Governor's Dream is spectacular. This is one of the best CDs besides the Nutcracker, Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole, Johnny Mathis, Handel's Messiah and Charlie Brown.
on December 9, 2013
I've always loved Roger Whittaker's voice, and when I found out he had a Christmas album, I had to get it. When my computer crashed this summer, taking this album with it, I just had to repurchase it for my smartphone.
on December 23, 2003
Growing up, my father had several eight-tracks and we all enjoyed listening to them. Over the years this track has begun to get worn. I realized that Christmas wouldn't be the same without this album. It is so rare for an artist today to perform even one new Christmas song that becomes a classic. Roger Whittaker has a whole album and is able to bring the feel of a cozy Christmas we all dream of into our very own homes. I hope you enjoy this album and let it become a must have at Christmas time for your family also.