Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

67%
33%
Format: Audio CD|Change

on December 26, 2007
The previous reviewer is only partially correct and completely wrong with his rating. So what if someone is cashing in. Isnt that what musicians are doing every time they release an album?

On to the album:
I will agree, this is not as expansive or inventive as Chrome Children one. But you are trying to compare a DVD/CD set that happened to have a peanut butter wolf extended mix too. That was a lot of content for their first effort.

This one is more sane in its ambitions. Firstly, its the bumps. If you dont like the bumps, you're not going to like this. Its obviously not every single bump that CN has ever aired but its got a lot of good beats in the instrumentals that the last reviewer panned so badly. On top of having Madlib on here, you've got Egon and 4tet. These guys are masters of the turntable all on one disc.

The rap songs vary in quality, but some are absolute gems. There is a track, I think #11 that totally sounds like old Shadow/Lavell UNKLE stuff. The first rap song on track 2 is probably the worst one, but I really enjoyed the rest of the album.

So, why a 3? I was on the fence about giving a 3 or 4 because this album is a solid 3.5. Its definitely above average even if the content is a bit mixed.
on April 23, 2008
It's dope, but when this originally dropped it was much like Talib Kweli's LP with Madlib... free and a download. Months later they pressed up copies and sold it in stores. Is it a follow up to the compilation? Well, not really. It's more of a companion to Chrome Children or to be viewed as an outtakes/b-sides compilation. It's good, but not great. I originally downloaded it when it dropped and at the time I liked it, but it wasn't anything I was going to go back to on a regular basis. I think ultimately this compilation was to keep the fans at bay so to speak, before other releases came out the following year. (Ruff Draft, Champion Sound Redux etc.)
on January 18, 2008
I was disappointed with this cd. I brought it first without listening to samples because I am a Madlib fan, and I have to tell you this one you should pass by. As stated previously in another review, it does sound like a Nintendo or Atari game in some of the songs, then the other songs are just not cutting it. I only really like one song - "In the city", and will tolerate a couple of the others. It hurts me to say, pass it by, or listen to it first then purchase if it is to your liking.