5.0 out of 5 stars Used this to mod a non-transforming controller
Published 19 months ago by William Oshana

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard to install, hope it is worth it
Soooo, wasn't really thinking it would be so hard to install. Required using a drill to make a hole bigger to fit it into the slot. For the amount of stress involved, would consider just spending the $50 for a remote WITH the D Pad already installed. I was also not impressed with the video the company offered sent me to use to "help". Waste of time. I did however find a...
Published 2 months ago by Seasons1970

5.0 out of 5 stars Used this to mod a non-transforming controller, December 1, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: OEM Chrome Silver/Gray Transforming D-pad for Xbox 360 Controller (Rotating Dpad) (Video Game)
While the description says that this will only fit for controllers that have a transforming pad and will not fit older shells, I took that as a challenge. I did a little research and found pictures of disassembled controllers, looking for the old shells and new transforming shells. From what I found, the difference between the old shell and the new shell is only a few extra pieces of plastic. With this information in hand, I decided to modify my old white 360 controller and add the transforming d-pad myself. Here's how I went about making the modification:

1.) Disassemble your controller. You will need a Torx T8 security driver to open the controller (one was provided for each d-pad I purchased, free of charge from Geniusmods360). If you do not know how to do this, Google "how to disassemble xbox 360 controller" and use the excellent Instructable created by MyCustomXbox. You will need to go as far as Step 11 to continue with this modification.

2.) Using a pair of sharp clippers, I cut out the inner circle and added a few notches into the controller so that the transforming d-pad will fit and sit flush. You can use a dremel to get the same results, but be careful as the plastic used in the controller is very soft. See my photo for further details.

3.) File and smooth out any sharp edges. A clean look is a happy look!

4.) Insert the transforming d-pad. It should NOT sit tight in the controller. You will want to have a little bit of wiggle room so that the d-pad does not get caught in the notches. At the same time, you do not want to have too much room either as this will cause the d-pad to move all over the place, defeating the purpose of the modification.

After the modification was done and giving it a go, I must say that it works very well. I purchased two transforming pads because I intended on modifying my black 360 controller as well after I dye the grey plastic to flat black. It's a pretty cool mod to try out and it can give your controller a pretty unique look. I'll never confuse my controller with my brother-in-law's again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fit like a glove, May 30, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I bought a limited edition MW3 controller that had the transforming d-pad and it broke after a month of using it. I was bummed because the controller cost $60. I was checking out Amazon and came across this d-pad replacement. The d-pad fit like a glove and looks great. Finish seems a little duller than the original but other than that no problems so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome easy to install w/ instructions highly recommended, August 5, 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
So i bought this cuz i messed up my transforming d-pad playing fighting games. After using my common sense, because most of my friend implied i buy a new remote, i bought this instead. Why buy a new remote when you can fix it yourself. People are always scared of do it yourself let me tell you technology only looks complex most of the things we use in our every day life is not. Thanks to this i didn't spend another 60 dollars especially since my remote is the limited edition Tomb Raider. i i just used the special screw drive which was included, took the remote apart and was playing again in the next 15 minutes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent upgrade for the old-style d-pad with a bit of work., April 5, 2013
I purchased this part to replace the original-style d-pad in my X360 controller, which was old enough to not have the security screws that seem common on the newer models.

As described in other reviews and in many other places around the Internet, some modifications to the controller shell are required to make the transforming pad fit. In all, it took around 30m working at a relaxed and careful pace to complete the replacement. The only tools required were a utility knife, pliers, and some small screwdrivers. It probably would have been much quicker with a rotary tool and grinding wheel.

The new pad is definitely a large improvement -- it's now precise and no longer frustratingly clunky. It's not quite to the level of the old Saturn d-pads, but I think it's more pleasant than the d-pads in the dual shock family of controllers. Definitely worth the effort, particularly for the low price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better!, April 1, 2013
We all know the original 360 d-pad sucks. Stiff, hard to tell if you're pressing a native direction or one of those in-between directions. This new d-pad takes care of those issues. Games that play better with d-pad are now much more enjoyable. I modified my original controller for this to fit and it only take about 20 minutes and a few tools. If you play any 2d type games, this is worth it for sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet replacement for the broken d-pad, March 17, 2013
I made the mistake of using the new transforming d-pad for my fighting games. Due to its fragile design, it broke off after 7-months of hadoukens and shoryukens. I was bummed not only because of the broken d-pad, but since I love using the concave thumbsticks for other game genres, I was left with only a stub for the d-pad use.
This replacement d-pad fit easily into the slot and the whole process lasted less than 10 minutes. The only other thing I needed to get was a special screwdriver to open up the 360 controller.
Now the controller looks as good as new, and although I will never use it for my intense fighting games ever again (I found an adapter to use my Sega PS2 control pads on the 360), it still works like a champ on all my other 360 games.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Part, November 14, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I bought a new D-pad because something got spilled on my old one. I would say it's a pretty easy install. A 360 controller is fairly simple inside, so there were no surprises. I highly recommend this seller to anyone, they're customer service is awesome and their shipping was quick.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast Shipping, OEM part, October 26, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Got this to replace the one that came on my silver controller. The original one broke during an intense match of Mortal Kombat.

Perfect part, they even sent a torx driver to take the controller apart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 14, 2014
Arrived QUICKLY and in perfect shape. It even came with a bonus screwdriver to assist in installation!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great and fantastic replacement for the chrome Dpad, comes with the screwdriver!!, July 10, 2014
Erick Marinas (Clifton, NJ, USA) - See all my reviews
great product, feels as good as the original piece, hopefully will last longer than a month of usage since the original popped out after a month..

Rate and Discover Movies