4.0 out of 5 stars A basic camera light that's very bright
I had recently bought a NEEWER 160 LED light that I gave away, and found this light with the same number of LEDs at an even lower price. The price wasn't my concern, and I had hoped for a little better mounting bracket this time around.

Published 20 months ago by R. Shaw

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent output and good construction
Published 18 months ago by Skip Hunt

4.0 out of 5 stars A basic camera light that's very bright, October 21, 2012
This review is from: Chromo Inc.® 160 LED CI-160 Dimmable Ultra High Power Panel Digital Camera / Camcorder Video Light, LED Light for Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Panasonic,SONY, Samsung and Olympus Digital SLR Cameras (Camera)

The differences between these two lights is almost negligible, but I discovered that the Chromo light seems to put out the same brightness that the NEEWER light does. It has the same number of LEDs. Instead of having the dimmer on the side, it has it on the back. The button to check for battery life does the same job as the one on the NEEWER light, except that on the Chromo light the light has to be "on" first to test the battery. No problem. There are the same selection of colored gels like the NEEWER light, except that you don't get the plastic sleeve to put them in. Small issue. The light is a bit bulky, mostly because of its dual battery design / Sony or AA batteries. I would recommend not using AA batteries since you need six of them, and it makes the light much heavier and is more expensive to be using disposable AA's than one NP-550. Of course, if you wish to use rechargeable AAs that's another choice, but using just the one Sony battery is a lot easier in my opinion. The Chromo doesn't come with a battery, but NP-550's aren't expensive and neither are the chargers for them.

The mount for the Chromo, in my opinion, was a lot better than the NEEWER mount. The light itself has a threaded hole on the bottom, so you could screw in your own mount if you like -- something that the NEEWER light can't do since its mount uses four tiny screws into the light's frame. The hot shoe mount that comes with the Chromo light is much like others I've seen that come with other brands of LED camera lights. It is a screw-in swivel with a thumbscrew to set the angle you wish to hold the light. It's cheap, but seems to be effective -- a combination of metal and plastic parts -- not just plastic. Mine actually had some rust on the ball joint, something that I was able to easily scrape off and spray with some parts cleaner. These products from China remind me of the old days when we'd get the same type of quality from Japan. However, in general, I'm giving this light 4 stars since so far it seems like it will do the job and is a lot of light for the money. It's also less stressful on the job if this light breaks or gets dropped rather than having spent a lot of money on it like products from LightPanels, that make an obviously superior product but overcharge for what you're getting. We just did a shoot in the Mohave with the NEEWER light. It got rolled in the dust accidentally, but never stopped working and after a bit of cleanup, it still worked fine. These lights are great to use to fill in shadows even in daylight, but you have to get in close. At night, they are amazingly bright. Good also for lighting car interiors and for a quick emergency light when you have to get the shot. With the Chromo, you'll just have to find a place in your bag for the extra gels. Not a big deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent light for the price, December 6, 2012
I had bought the Neewer CN-160 and was quite happy with it. It is affordable gives decent light and has infinitely adjustable brightness. My concern with it was the plastic mount.

I then bought another light, the Chromo CI-160. They are essentially the same, have gels which I would not consider using except the diffuser. Otherwise there are a few notable differences.

Much as I liked the CN-160 very much, I was impressed with the Chromo CI-160

* CI-160 is $10 cheaper
* It is smaller and shallower, though the weight is about the same.
* There is a more versatile mounting option on the Chromo. The lamp has a threaded tripod mount socket on which the ball shoe mount is mounted. Should you lose the the ball socket, you can still mount the Chromo directly on a tripod. With the NEEWER you would be out of luck if you lost the hot shoe mount.
* The hot shoe mount is of a better quality, being make of metal vs the all plastic mount on the NEEWER.
* The light dispersion of the Chromo is wider than the Neewer, which is excellent for wide angle use. This does not come at a cost to brightness at the center.

CI-160: About $10 cheaper, a bit smaller in all dimensions, same brightness as the CN-160. However, the beam is also wider which is excellent for wide angle lenses. The shoe mount is also of a better quality, being ball metal. It is also more adjustable

At the price, nothing beats the Chromo CI-160

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Value for a No-frills Video Light, October 26, 2012
Chromo's LED video light is far less expensive than competing products that contain similar numbers of LED bulbs (160 in this product arranged in a 10x16 pattern). It is extraordinarily bright when set to full, lighting up a 12'x12' room sufficiently to get "reasonable" video with a 40mm to 70mm lens (very wide angle lenses may succumb to a bright center image and heavy vignetting at the edges).

In fact, it is too bright for close up interviews when set to full illumination, and will cause adults and children to squint. But it has a very functional wheel based dimmer switch that can raise and lower the brightness in infinite increments and can bring the illumination down to just barely on. Nonetheless, spare your subjects' vision and use the included diffuser panel along with a gentler brightness setting.

It takes 6 AA batteries and also some video camera rechargeable battery packs, however, the instructions do not itemize which specific battery packs those might be. Nor do the instructions stipulate to remove the window-pane panel on the back so as to insert the AA's. Use common sense and a gentle hand when figuring out how to use this the first time.

The entire unit is thin plastic. For such a bright light it does not weigh as much as might be expected and with 6 AA's is still lighter than my Metz-58 strobe. That said, I have no intention of placing this on my DSLR's hotshoe (just as I do not mount the Metz on the hotshoe) since over the years I have broken off far too many hotshoe mounts even when using less weight than this.

It has a standard tripod mount in the base to allow it to be threaded directly onto a light pole or a tripod. Its mount is recessed and consumes an extra three threads, so a short tripod screw will not reach, though longer screws will. Alternatively it includes a ball head adapter mount that will receive a tripod screw or will slide onto a hot or cold shoe via a thin plastic foot. The ball itself is stable enough to keep the light upright when tightened, but the design of the adapter is such that it tends to rotate far too freely around the center axis for my purposes; I'll just mount it directly to a tripod screw.

Durability? I can say nothing of that yet. On arrival all the LEDs lit, the switch worked, the battery indicator showed full charge from my fresh AA's, and the dimmer is exactly what one would expect. I will order another one of these as a backup. Further, if anything goes wrong, I will provide an update.

---

Update: 10/28/2012
I just returned from an outdoor video shoot for a web commercial. One Chromo light was used to fill in for deep shadows when shooting under a shelter roof. Using one set of AA's the lights continued to burn brightly after more than an hour of shooting (the power indicator show 50% power remaining). The lights did well when focused on the subject in the middle of a darker background, but were insufficient when the sheltered subject was backlit by bright scenery (compensating for outdoor backlighting is an unfair test of an LED light, I know, but since I tried it I thought I would tell about the results). Still, the Chromo lights proved their value even outdoors as a fill light in deep shade/shadow. Very glad I brought the light.

4.0 out of 5 stars A definite bargain!, November 20, 2012
I've been wanting to purchase the Litepanel LED for a couple of years now. However at $200 it seemed too pricey for what I wanted it for. I'm a wedding photographer and wanted to try using it for some detail shots like the rings. When I saw the Chromo for $30 I had to try it out. It seems fairly well built. The dimmer switch worked well and at full power produced more light then I would ever need. I also love that it works with AA batteries. It does just what I need. A definite bargain.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent output and good construction, December 27, 2012
This is a solid little LED light. The construction is good and works as advertised. Puts out a decent amount of light, but with a slight greenish hue. I also bought the NEEWER 160 which was about $10 more. The construction, especially the stand mount, is actually better on this cheaper Chromo model. The stand mount is metal on the Chromo and easily screws into the bottom of the light. The NEEWER is all plastic and attaches to the bottom of the light via 4 small screws.

I haven't had either one of them long enough to make any comment on reliability, but here's where the big difference is... the NEEWER is noticeably brighter and has a more natural white color with almost no green/blue hue. The difference is significant. I even swapped batteries between the two because I couldn't believe the difference since they're both rated the same, ie. 160. The difference was still there. Neither have any dead LEDs, but one of the LEDs on the Chromo looks slightly more greenish than the others. Not a big deal.

The price difference between the two on the day I purchased was $10. Although the general construction, stand mount and filter holder are better on this Chromo, I'd have to recommend spending the extra $10 for the NEEWER for the additional output and better light color. Of course this difference could just be the two units I received, since I doubt there's much consistency between any of these budget Chinese LEDs, but based on what I received, the output of the NEEWER is worth the extra $10.

Some have reported this light sometimes selling for $20. At half the price of the $40 NEEWER CN160, I might prefer 2 of these for the price of one NEEWER.

UPDATE: Looks like the NEEWER isn't all that much brighter, but appears so due to being more directional with less spread. The Chromo has a blue/green cast that has a wider spread. Tough call which to recommend. Within $10 I'd probably lean toward the NEEWER because of the color beging more natural white with almost no green/blue hue.

3.0 out of 5 stars almost the same as Neewer light for $10 cheaper., October 24, 2012
similar to the neewer 160 light. Has a better connector than the neewer lights for $10 less. Construction very similar,the dimension are a big higher, but not as wide as the Neewer brand lights.
Both use AA (6) or sony batteries. The Temp on this light is a lot bluer than the neewer, so if you mix and match, it may be a problem. Will test out the next week, to see if it just as durable as neewer. Stay tune for update. If it works as well as the neewer for a lower price, than my rating will go up.

It really crazy that these light at all trade show use to be in the $200 and up range. Of course those were better quality, but not so much that it cost almost 8x as much.

4.0 out of 5 stars What a great value, the best so far for a 160 LED light, October 23, 2012
I'll get right to the point. I'm sure like many of you, I was simply bewildered by how many "160 LED" light panels exist to chose from. Especially with regards to how much the prices vary. What is the difference between a version that costs $70 and this version which can be had as low as $19 at times (Chromo)? On paper, they all look the same.

From what I can tell from pictures alone, the only "obvious" differences are:

1) camera mount details. In this case, a small tripod ball-head to hot shoe mount is provided, whereas others have what appears is a plastic friction arm to hot shoe mount.
2) dimming control method. In this case, a small thumbwheel is used, where some others use a round knob.

Aside from these two details. I really can't tell if there are any other differences. Yet, the prices on these things vary so much. You would have to "think" the versions that are three times the cost must be "better" in some way.

Well, from a price standpoint, this has to be the best "deal" among them all. For $20, how can you beat this value? Provided it works as advertised, and is RELIABLE, this is really a no=brainer.

I purchased three of these, and just received them the week of Oct 17th, 2012. While the jury is still out on how "reliable" these are, I can say so far that they have performed as advertised. I was expecting something to not work right, but they have worked fine. Very bright, dimming feature is effective, battery indicator seems to work fine.

The white diffusion panels are useful, the amber version is nice to somewhat warm things up, the pink version I really don't know how useful that is yet. Nonetheless, they all slip in and are held in place fine.

Construction-wise, they do seem a bit flimsy. Don't drop these! But if you treat these as delicate parts, they probably will be OK. These are $20! Perhaps the more expensive versions are more robust in this regard?

One thing I do NOT like about these versions are the ball head mount provided. They simply are not effective at holding their tension. At least for the versions I received, I can't lock these lights at any angle without eventual slippage.

With this in mind, perhaps the more expensive versions with the plastic variable friction arm-to-hot shoe might be a better way to go if you don't want to hassle with a more reliable mount. BUT, even those versions I see some people have problems with those (IE: reliability due to quality of construction). I guess it's a crapshoot no matter which version you get.

For me, I can work-around this inadequate part, but for others, this might be a deal-breaker considering you might have the same problem which requires an alternate mounting solution. Fortunately a standard 1/4" screw mount exists when you remove this poor ball head. A standard light stand should work fine. What sucks though is this mount is not flush, there is the external front bezel that is raised higher next to this mount, so unless you use a slim pole or other equally slim tripod mount, a common flat tripod mount may cause undue stress on the outer bezel...so keep this in mind if you decide to go with this light.

At $20, this is the current best deal. Had it come with a better mount, it would easily be five stars. Now the thing i am worried about is reliability. How long will they last? How long do ANY of these last? I really don't know. But we'll see.

### Update Feb 2013 ###

These units are holding up pretty well. No issues with their performance. Only thing to note is the plastic button cover for the battery test has come off on a few of mine which I have lost. Underneath is a red microswitch which can still be depressed, so no loss of function. Not a huge deal, but a nitpick to still great value LED light imho.

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke on day one of gentle use, April 28, 2013
The cold shoe snapped in half. It's plenty bright, but it uses a ton of batteries and is made of the cheapest Chinese plastic money can buy.

2.0 out of 5 stars Green cast, February 4, 2013
TriggerHappy (Sacramento, CA) - See all my reviews
The battery cover release tab arrived broken and rattling somewhere inside the unit. I returned it.
The hotshoe mount adapter is cheap plastic, I would never use it.

I also bought the Neewer 126CN equivalent and this one seems cheaper in quality.
This light casts an even more green/blue color compared to the Neewer, which seems almost tungsten in comparison.
Although this has 160 leds, compared to 126, they are much smaller leds and packed more densely together making the unit even smaller than the Neewer! It does not output more light.
I measured about 7.8 EV at ISO 100 from 2 feet away at max output. The Neewer CN126 measured 8.6 EV at the same.
I did notice this Chromo has a slightly wider even spread compared to the Neewer, which seems more spotlighted, without the diffusers in place.
Something I noticed, was that the batteries seemed quite warm when I took them out, but not from the other one, even thought they were both used at the same time for the same amount. Not sure what that means, if anything.
So basically, I am not recommending this one over the equalivalent Neewer.

I only gave it an extra star because I do like that it is smaller, I do like that the battery tester button can't be accidently pushed when power is off, and it's super cheap.
Hope that helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars good product,lesser price than neweer.., October 19, 2012
its a good product for the price.. I still have to explore its full power and potentiality. quality is fair.. if its same one as neweer cn 160 led, its definitely a better deal for 40% lesser price

Rate and Discover Movies