Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on February 15, 2003
Not only have I read Dr. Poesnecker's book, I have been to his facility for treatment and been under his care, long-distance, for over a year. His book & approach have revolutionized my long-term search for relief from chronic fatigue and related "wierd symptoms". He articulates an acute understanding of the myriad symptoms involved... from debilitating fatigue to anxiety & other mental aberrations to just "feeling ill". He explains why those symptoms result from an exhausted adrenal system and helps the reader understand how to properly approach the problem. I took the thru-the-mail saliva test he discusses in his book which pinpointed what stage of adrenal dysfunction I was under. I then began over-the-phone treatment. Within two weeks of treatment with the thru-the-mail supplements he sent me I was significantly better. Since then I've been on a gradual ascent in my energy level and sense of well-being and am experiencing the "slow miracle" that he describes in his book. His angle has been on the mark for me, and I wish I had discovered it years sooner. Best Wishes.
on September 24, 1998
This is one of the best books I have read on the subject of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. The author, a naturopathic physician, shows an excellent understanding of the many facets of this debilitating illness. Many various natural treatment options are discussed. Well worth the price!
on March 9, 2006
The author is a world leading naturopath and gives you a good breakdown of adrenal fatigue and it's cause of CFS.

As a sufferer of adrenal fatigue, he probably had the best understanding of what happens and how you feel of any book I have read. Heartily recommend this book.
on August 3, 2004
The best and most insightful book I've read on CFS, and I've read just about them all. It's also one of the few that left me with a feeling of hope! Dr. Poesnecker clearly and accurately describes the underlying dysfunction of the neuroendocrine system and its conseqences that make this illness so fustratingly difficult to recover from (and hard for your average doctor to understand). His explanation of both the physical as well as the psychological impact and symptoms of the illness are insightful -so much so at times it left me wondering whether he hadn't himself endured the lingering imprisonment and agony of CFS. I look forward to reading the updated edition of this excellent book with anticipation.
on April 20, 2011
Best book out there on the subject.

It doesn't take long to recognize that Dr. Poesnecker understands Adrenal Fatigue/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome inside and out. His many decades treating this one condition made him a leading expert in the field. This caring, compassionate doctor believed the two causes are hereditary weakness of the glandular system and overwhelming, unremitting stress. Generally, the two overlap. Those born with a strong and vital adrenal gland are capable of handling almost anything Life can throw at them while those with a poorly functioning adrenal gland will increasing lose the ability to function productively in our stress-filled society after a triggering stressful event. History, symptoms, treatments, lifestyle adjustments and patient responsibilities/attitudes are all addressed in this comprehensive book.

Essential reading.
on April 16, 2010
By far, this is the very best information out there, on chronic fatigue and adrenal issues. I felt like the book was written about me and my entire life and my symptoms. This doctor was THE pioneer in adrenal fatigue, and I am now seeing the doctor who was chosen by him to carry on his work.

I highly HIGHLY recommend the book and would give it 10 stars if possible.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon November 30, 2013
The title should have warned me. The word "unmasked", of course, means that only the author has the wit, insight and clinical acumen to show the rest of the world what is *really* going on. The problem, he says, is with the adrenal glands, which gradually cease to function under accumulated stresses. That's it. All the probing and research and uncertainty by excellent doctors all over the world is a waste of time. It's the adrenals and nothing else. In our present state of knowledge, nobody with this degree of certainty about the causes and nature of CFS/ME is to be trusted.

It gets worse. Much worse, in fact. In the chapter on Sex and the Adrenal Syndrome Patient the author asserts that we obtain essential health-giving substances when we mix our sexual fluids with those of someone of the opposite sex. However, if we are not both married and in love when we have sex, then the compounds which are "vital to the neuroglandular mechanisms" of our partner become "injurious and toxic". (No details of the compounds concerned are given, nor is any mechanism for this remarkable chemical transformation.) Further, we cannot expect to benefit from sex outside marriage because this is "breaking the Laws of Nature and of God, both of which will punish any and all lawbreakers."

Whether or not one agrees with it, the belief that sex should be confined to loving married couples is a perfectly respectable and defensible moral stance. However, to dress it up as science based upon wild assertion and threats of the wrath of God is disgraceful. Then to link this to the ill-health of CFS/ME patients is simply outrageous.

There is a deceptive and borderline-dishonest use of references to attempt to lend respectability to his argument. He argues, calmly and reasonably, against use of the Pill and IUD for contraception because of possible harmful side-effects. These are very well-known and no longer disputed by anyone, but Poesnecker carefully cites no fewer than eight references on the subject, listed, as is customary, in a References section at the back of the book. One's eye runs down a list of papers from highly respected medical journals: American Heart Journal, both the American and British Journals of Obstetrics and Gynaecology and so on. Very impressive - and utterly uncontentious. The next reference is cited after the following sentence:
" It is a foregone conclusion among advanced endocrinologists that various secretions of the human body can be altered by the emotional status of the individual, and compounds which under normal circumstances should be beneficial and sustaining can become injurious and toxic if produced in an environment of disturbed human emotion."
Now this is really controversial, not to say wacky. We can look up the reference which Poesnecker cites to support it, which immediately follows the list of prestigious papers on a peripheral subject which no-one disputes. Amongst all of these, the reference supporting the amazing statement above is not to the Journal of Advanced Endocrinology, but to Reader's Digest of May 1972, for heaven's sake, containing an article entitled Your Emotions Can Make You Ill by Blake Clark. Very few readers, most of whom will be sufferers rather than doctors, would bother to check this. At best, most of us glance in a general way through lists of references, and would be impressed with all of the solid medical papers cited. It's a very dodgy way of lending spurious authority to a thoroughly unscientific idea.

One worries that Poesnecker's Olympian self-certainty means that his diagnosis of Adrenal Syndrome is based on the notion that it must be true, and evidence to the contrary is to be ignored because it is just obscuring the truth. Statements such as the one I have cited above (and plenty of others in the book) are not science, they are articles of faith. Science attempts to describe, explain and predict the world as it is, and scientific ideas shape themselves according to the world we see. Poesnecker, on the contrary, seems to be trying to adapt the world to his ideas. People throughout history have tried this. None has yet succeeded, although some medical practitioners have done a great deal of harm to their patients in the attempt.

In fairness, the book makes some reasonable points, such as the difficulty which the medical establishment has had in coming to terms with CFS/ME, and the fact that sufferers recover better if they have a good diet and are loved and supported. It talks about allergies in a way which seems reasonable, at least to a non-clinician, and adrenal problems are a factor in the illness of some CFS/ME patients. However, all of this has been much better dealt with by people like Anne Macintyre, and much of Chronic Fatigue Unmasked is little short of ghastly. In my view, reading this book would be terribly injurious and toxic to your neuroglandular mechanisms, so don't.
on May 12, 2014
This book is a must read for anyone dealing with the dx of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. It is a great book for loved ones to read also for they will understand you more. Order this book today!