Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Hardcover|Change

on June 26, 2011
This is a rating from my 9 year old son that has completed the Harry Potter Series and the Lightening Thief Series....

He picked this one up and the library and was done in 3 days! He absolutely loved it!

"It was very adventurous and cool." Now he wants to read the other books by this author...since book #2 isn't out, he is planning on starting her other series. Great for my little reader at home!
on May 8, 2013
I love the Children of the Red King Series, so finding out the back story is fascinating. I'm a high school English teacher, and I also loved the Harry Potter books, but these are definitely original and NOT a spin off or copy cat. I think they're for young readers, like 4th grade, but I thoroughly enjoy them anyway.
on January 20, 2015
I loved this book! This is a awesome, epic, and action packed book! I love this awesome epic book! Awesome!!!😜😜😜😜😜🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐈🐈🐈🐈🐈🐈🐈🐈🐈🐈🐈🐈🐈🐈🐈🐈🐈🐈🐈🐈🐈🐈🐈🐈🐈🐈🐈🐈🐈🐈🐈🐈🐈🐈
on September 16, 2011
This is a great addition as well as extension of the Charlie Bone series of books. My grand children loved it and I hope that it doesn't stop here.
on February 15, 2013
this book was spell binding as you got into the livesof the characters in the book. it is one of them you simply acnnot put down until you have finished it. I would recommind this to anyone who loves magical things.
on August 29, 2014
All of the Red King series of books - both the Chronicles of the Red King and Children of the Red King - are must reads for anyone that enjoys a well written story. They are meant for children of ALL ages!
I haven't read the Charlie Bones books yet, but this book was suggested by a librarian friend for my son and myself.

It's an interesting enough story about a boy and his sister. How they come 'into' magic and how they seek to escape the dreadful creatures that destroyed their family and kingdom.

The story's tone is very much that of a fairytale. You won't find first person here, or truly much character development in the normal sense. But there is action and things of interest for children who are in the mood for a fairytale.

Written at nearly the 5th Grade reading level, I think this book might work very well as a read-aloud for younger elementary-aged children. There's a few sad developments, but not anything unsuitable. Plus, there is a flying camel!

I give it 4-Stars for Tweens, some middle-gradersm and some younger children, if they are in the mood for a fairytale type adventure.

At best I'd give it 3-Stars for adults. Though well written the plot devices are a bit forced, and since this is a younger person's book, there's not much character development to sweeten the pot.

So when you're in the mood...
on August 31, 2011
If you're a lover of the Children of the Red King Series, then you should like this book. I can't say that it lives up to the expectations I had for it, but it was a great starter to the Chronicles of the Red King. The Red King was by far my favorite character in the Charlie Bone books, and I was really looking forward to this book. I had incredibly high expectations, so perhaps that is why I can only give it four out of five stars. All that said, it really was a great start to a great series. I can't wait to see what Jenny Nimmo comes up with next!
VINE VOICEon September 19, 2011
There are few books that really enchant me, but Jenny Nimmo's CHRONICLES OF THE RED KING: THE SECRET KINGDOM is one of them. It truly felt like a throwback to an early 1900s fantasy story for children. Nimmo delivers it all: danger, excitement, adventure, and of course with her trademark style and charm.

When the Secret Kingdom is attacked by the evil Viridees, Prince Timoken and his sister Zobayda have to escape. Lord Degal of the Viridees is after Timoken's moon cloak -- a magical web that would allow Lord Degal to rule everything. Timoken and Zobayda know that they must find a place they can finally call home -- safe from the Viridees. But along the way, there is danger around every stone and tree. And Lord Degal is not the enemy Timoken needs to fear most. Someone else is after the cloak -- someone who will stop at absolutely nothing to get it.

Growing up, I read a lot of old-time fantasy novels, such as THE WIZARD OF OZ, or the RAGGEDY ANN AND ANDY stories. Those books held a certain charm that was so hard to find anywhere else. I didn't think I'd ever run across another book quite like those old stories until I came across THE SECRET KINGDOM. Nimmo has managed to infuse such magic into the story telling here. Timoken and his sister travel through adventure after adventure -- meeting strange creatures, evil monsters, and magical animals. And of course, one can hardly pass up the lovable, yet gruff, camel Gabar, who joins their adventures.

The language Nimmo uses in her writing here is downright amazing. This ends up being one of those books you want to read out loud -- just so you can hear the sentences come together. It's definitely the perfect bedtime story -- reading one part of Timoken's adventure each night.

Timoken is such an innocent character, at once brave, and yet longing to settle down in a place he can call home. His journey is wonderful to follow, and I found myself turning page after page, just wanting to see what happened next. The ending leaves you with that gentle ache for another story -- as any good fantasy book should do.

This book connects to Nimmo's CHARLIE BONE series, and the prologue does contain a few spoilers if a new reader has not read those books. The actual story about Timoken could be read by anyone, however. It's possible for readers to even skip over the prologue and start chapter one without missing a beat. For fans of Charlie Bone, THE SECRET KINGDOM fills in details of the Red King: who he is and where he really came from.

I'm glad the CHRONICLES OF THE RED KING have only just begun. After an astounding first entry, I'm excited to see where Nimmo takes us next. THE SECRET KINGDOM is great for fantasy fans and anyone who longs to re-connect with those nights reading as a young child when a book really was magic and could take you anywhere.
on February 19, 2013
This story that takes place as the red king was young showed the reader never give up,fight for who you love,and magic is epic.