Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Chrono Trigger
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on May 20, 2002
Chrono Trigger remains the greatest console RPG ever made. The version on this new CD compilation is identical in play to the original, but includes several animated cutscenes (done by Bird Studios, producers of Dragonball/DBZ and owned/operated by Akira Toriyama, who did the character designs for Chrono Trigger as well) which are themselves worth the price. (In point of fact, the price itself is interesting; the compilation of Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 4 costs less than either of them did separately when first released.)
Chrono Trigger centers around the adventures of Crono (yes, that's the correct spelling), a young man whose only apparent unusual feature is skill with a sword; otherwise, he lives a rather ordinary life, getting his allowance from his mom, taking care of his pet cat, and, as the story begins, looking forward to the Millennial Fair. At the Fair, he meets with a pretty blonde girl, Marle, who wears an interesting pendant, and who as a stranger to his town asks him if he'd be nice enough to show her around a bit.
Things get strange when they visit the exhibit area of one of Crono's friends, Lucca, who's an eccentric inventor. Her invention mysteriously reacts to the presence of Marle's pendant, and Marle vanishes, leaving the glowing pendant behind. When Crono decides to follow her wherever she's gone and bring her back, he's catapulted into a time-spanning adventure which will take him from the present to 65 million years in the past, and thousands of years in the future, and eventually to confront a world-destroying monster which may, at the same time, have been responsible for the creation of Crono's own civilization. Along the way he will learn secrets of his world's history, gain new powers, and gather allies, ranging from the super-strong cavegirl Ayla to the technologically advanced machine-man Robo.
Chrono Trigger's greatest claim to fame was, and is, that it boasts many possible endings, all quite different, based on what decisions you make during the game. They're not all easily predictable, either, and at least one or two are rather creepy. It's also interesting in that, after a certain point, you no longer have to keep Crono in your party (most games have a set viewpoint character that you have to keep around). It's quite possible to finish the game with *ANY* combination of available characters.
Gameplay is, in my opinion, superior to that of any of the Final Fantasy games. For one thing, it avoids the "eternally wandering monster" phenomenon which makes overland travel in the FF series so damnably frustrating, while still allowing you to wander freely across the land and visit places, looking for clues, new things to buy, and new friends and allies. For another, the combat sequences are much more active than those of other RPGs of its same era, and include special techniques -- both for individuals AND ones combining the techniques of two or three characters at once. Once you beat the game, you have the option of using "new game+", which allows you to start with the same power, and most of the items, that you'd gained along the way the first time. This is useful for those trying to play through again, since it allows you to zip through combats which, the first time, took many minutes to complete. (it does, however, introduce a bit of cognitive dissonance, especially in the early parts of the game: "How the heck are they throwing ME in jail?! I have enough power to level this entire CASTLE by myself!")
The soundtrack of Chrono Trigger is unbelieveably good. Somehow, through the miracle of MIDI, the original game had 3 full CDs worth of music crammed on it, and the skill with which the MIDI was composed and produced made it sound, at the time, very nearly orchestral. Even today the sound isn't bad, and the re-done, fully orchestral version is amazing. Each major character has its own theme, and they're all excellent. Chrono Trigger's soundtrack still rates as one of my absolute favorites.
If you like console RPGs at all, this is one that you absolutely MUST buy, and keep enshrined somewhere. Now available as part of "Final Fantasy Chronicles", there's even more reason to own it, since it's cheaper now than it was when first released!
11 comment| 75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 15, 2006
This game is already one of my favorites of all time and I only played it for the first time about two months ago. I did, however, rent it toward the end of my third grade year but when my dad and I went to buy it, they'd stopped selling most SNES games and replaced them with Playstation and N64 all over. But I downloaded this game on an Emulator and finally got to play it again as well as Final Fantasy III (VI), a game I unfortunately never got to play. But all the Final Fantasies are gonna be on the Gameboy Advance pretty soon and I expect this game to be as well, someday. Here's my review.

The graphics of this game are awesome. Even SNES games can have incredible graphics. In fact, the graphics here almost surpass many games even today. The storyline is awesome. I won't spoil it, even though some other reviewers already did. But the gameplay is the best of any RPG. Three of the Final Fantasy games should have had this style of gameplay instead of what they did have, which made them very frustrating. All the others are fine, though. I found this game somewhat easy, but I don't mean so much so that it's a breeze, but you'll still find yourself getting stuck on a couple of battles for a while, stop playing for a week, come back and and say 'ahh, I did it...'

Overall, I'd play this game over anything today. Ever since video games started looking more like movies, companies just seem to focus on making a game look great instead of having incredible storylines like the games of the SNES era almost all did. I've played Doom 3, Quake 4, Halo, and a ton of other movie games that I only enjoyed for a short amount of time before I just sort of decided to move on to something else. I've had Final Fantasy IV, VII, VIII, IX, and X for years and years and years and I play those more than anything else. Among my favorite video games ever, include The Legend of Zelda: A Link to The Past, Super Mario RPG, all the Mario Bro's games, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, and Super Mario 64. These are all games I grew up with, and I only wish Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy III (VI) could have been a part of my life back then as well.
on March 31, 2006
Squaresoft has released three great games in its history: Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy VII, and Chrono Trigger. Of the three, this title falls somewhere in the middle. Overall it simply lacks the incredible story depth and character development of FFVI but it does have several strong points that make it easily one of the best video games of all time.

While the story is the most important part of a game in this genre, the graphics are the true standout here, perhaps the best of the SNES era. The battle effects and enemy animations are nothing short of incredible for the console. Square did an amazing job of developing lush environments that make the experience unforgettable. The music is also very strong, particularly later in the course of the game. The battle system is modified (with good results) quite a bit from the FF series--characters can combine abilities in battle and random enemy encounters are eliminated. Chrono Trigger has a great and imaginitve storyline, combined with the best graphics and sound the SNES has to offer (even if they are highly primitive by today's standards). The result is a true masterpiece.

This game lacks nothing and is another one of those magical SNES titles that all gamers today should go back and experience whether it be again or for the first time. Chrono Trigger is a masterpiece and it's extremely unlikely that a game of its caliber will ever be released again.
on December 26, 2001
Chrono Trigger. One word: AWESOME! This has to one of the best games ever. Sure you hear everybody say its a great game but unless you've played it you just wouldn't understand.
I myself am not a huge RPG fan (and quite frankly am still not) but Chrono Trigger has something that keeps me coming back for more even after beating it several times. And believe me beating it was no easy task. It took me a good 2 or 3 months but I enjoyed every minute of it. The story line gets a 10 for its originality. I never in my life would have dreamed up such a complex and crazy yet addictive storyline. Ya gotta give props on that.
The gameplay is probably the best part of the game. I just love the battle system. Its not to hard yet still challenging enough for even the craftiest of veterans. The worlds to explore seem to be never ending. And the different branches of the story are great. Even after beating the game the first time I still had about 10 other endings I could try and accomplish.
I just can't say enough about this game. What I hope I've described to you is very little of the games appeal. Own this game, RPG fan or not, and you'll love it I promise. If not you can find me at my house at..... or my phone..... ooops can't give out that information. Oh well just guess you'll just have to trust me! HE HE
on January 31, 2007
What more could one possibly add? Chrono Trigger rocks in any epoch.

First, you've got a somewhat easy plot--time travelers attempting to avert apocalypse--but then thrown in is the fresh and startling idea of an omnipotent stellar parasite. It's amazing what imagination gets packed into these 16 bits. The end of time. Zeal. Mystics and Magus. Twists and turns shake out as personalities start reappearing in different guises, chunks of backstory from each character. The battle system is heavenly, typical RPG ATB plus a new added geometric strategy. Everything's streamlined, from the tecs to armor shopping. Graphics are beautiful and somehow simultaneously fun, sound effects spice it up just right.

The soundtrack is a model of the video game score, and Mitsuda's tunes are rightly among the mainstays of the genre. The quartal fanfare of the main theme, the gentle town melodies, the truly haunting overworld tune, the ghastly Magus dirge, the trial background, Robo's electropop track, and Frog's tripletty song, all simply marvelous.

The game remains as fun as it was when debuting.
on August 5, 2002
I can't praise this game enough. And I even know perfectly well that I won't affect anyone's buying decision more than any other reviewer (ALL the reviews give it five stars!); I just want to babble for a few minutes about how godly this game is!
We all know that the RPG is the pinnacle of video game achievement; and of course, Chrono Trigger is the epitome of everything that a brilliant RPG should be. The battle system -- the very core and foundation of the roleplaying genre -- is exceptional here: simple yet deep, a highly strategic gem of gameplay atop an ingenius motif comprised of deceptively few major elements for such involved tactics. For once, the protagonists can TRULY interact with each other in battle! And the engine even takes coordinates and physics into account! (That's all I'm going to say; that's all that needs to be said. Just trust me when I say that this system is second to none.)
Anyone who plays Chrono Trigger will find its storyline to be of the highest quality and most epic depth as any of the choicest plots found throughout Squaresoft's entire library. Never has there been a more coherent storyline presented in such a twisting, intertwining path. Can you say "deep"?
Did I mention that Chrono Trigger's soundtrack takes first place above the scores of not only all other RPGs, and not only all other video games, but all other products ever presented on any electronic medium whatsoever? Well it does! Mitsuda is THAT brilliant. He even tops Uematsu's top-notch work on FF6, for crying out loud. (And he tops that by a lot, too!)
Of course, ya gotta love CT's graphics. It has some NICE effects, and other than that, it's an all-around aesthetic treat (the best on the SNES in my opinion). Enough said on that front.
That's everything, I believe. What more is there to say? Perfect score!
on May 16, 2003
Lets face it, if you haven't played Chrono Trigger yet and you're an RPG fan - shame on you. Yes, you are probably playing those high tech newbies coming out for PS2 or GC. You're missing out on one of the best experiences in videogame history. This game is a true gem that withstands the test of time and stays in the imagination long after its completion. With memorable characters, a brilliant plot, and eleven endings, CT is an over the top classic. After having played Every good RPG on SNES, PS, and PS2 (and after 6 years) I still consider Chrono Trigger to be number 1 on my list. If you were wondering, the original SNES version is in fact better than the PS version in Chronicles. So if you're either trying to play CT for the first time or trying to get a copy of the original, be assured you are making the BEST investment for an adventure you will never forget.
on September 26, 2005
When I first played this game years and years ago, it never dawned on me that I would be playing an RPG legend. This game should be the cornerstone for all future RPG's and stories for books alike. There is not one flaw I can find in the gameplay, graphics (for its time), music, or story. The music gives me a great feeling, and always reminds me of my first experience with this game, sending chills of nostaglia through me. I can't even describe my entire feelings for the game, because the gameplay has been integrated into me. The characters have found a place in my heart and the story is in me now. I have beaten the game 200+ times, maxed out my characters, and as far as I know, gotten every item, game ending, and weapon in the game. Thank you Squaresoft, for making the greatest game of all time...
on May 22, 2007
I remember gettin this game when i was like 8.. Been playing it ever since.. All the rpg games now-a-days started from this.. great fightingstyle.. great story that starts out wit chrono and marle as she dissappears back in time to 600 ad.. as you try to save the world from the almighty lavos, you are joined by other characters.. first game that uses combos specials wit fluency.. i definitely recommend this game.. this game is very rare..
on October 31, 2005
This game is undoubtly the best rpg ever. I wont explain all the details about how great this game is because you probably already heard everything about it on all the other reviews. Anyways, my friend first had this game, so i played it at his house. It was so awsome i just couldnt stop! i beat it twice already and still love to play this game! it has the perfect gameplay, difficulty, length, graphics, sound, ect ect the gameplay just plain rocks! it's just hard enough so you wont get bored over how easy it is and its not too difficult to where you want to just destroy it. its not too long and not too short. And the sound effects and music are the best out of all the other games ive played so far!

Anyways, about Chrono Trigger Ressurection. It was supposed to be the new game thats was coming out to gamecube/ ps2/ xbox (i dont excactly know what system it was going to, but i knew it was 1 of them)It was Chrono Trigger only in 3D GRAPHICS!! I was going to buy that game the day it came out! Just imagine, Chrono Trigger in 3D! I looked at the pictures for it and they were incredible! But... one day... I looked on the internet again and found out they dicontinued it!!!!! I was so upset! WHY?! WHY DID THEY DISCONTINUE THE GREATEST GAME OF ALL TIME?!?!?!?!?! DO THEY REALIZE HOW MUCH MONEY WAS WATED?! I SEE 100 REVIEWS ON THIS WEBSITE AND SO FAR IVE ONLY SEEN 1 ok and 2 bad! MAN! WHAT IS WRONG WITH THEM?1?!?!?!? if you dont believe me you can look on the internet right now and look for "Chrono Trigger Ressurection" and you will be able to go to the website, or the page that tells about them discontinuing it. I seriously want to know the reason why they did, that wouldve been the ultimate game ever created.