Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Chrono Trigger forum

Chrono trigger is horrible!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 8, 2006 3:43:37 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jun 28, 2009 5:06:14 PM PDT
I know this is a very old post and probably just to get peoples attention but if you are serious you have to consider how old it is. If you are comparing it to newer games then you have the wrong idea. You have to appreciate what it did in it's time, but still if you can't see that then don't bother, classic games aren't for everyone

Posted on Aug 22, 2009 8:04:45 AM PDT
it is a classic. SMB is now on par with great iphone games, but 20 years ago it was the greatest games ever made. CT is in the same boat. I actually prefer older RPGs from this vintage since i think story is lost in cinematics for many of the modern rpgs.

Posted on Sep 6, 2009 10:22:52 AM PDT
DryvBy says:
Yeah, everyone's right. It was a "had to been there" game. I grew up on the NES/SNES so this game is incredibly fun to me. I just recently rebought the Final Fantasy Chronicles (which includes CT with anime cinematics) just to replay the game without pulling out the ol' SNES. 15 years from now, gamers will look at Killzone 2, Halo 3, and Gears of War and say "What's so great about it?".

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2010 12:21:52 AM PDT
Dead, bland music!!!!!!????? Dead, bland music!!??? That's just... You... How dare you!! You're just... dumb and stupid. That's what you are. Sigh... are you still up for playing Lil Wayne's "Lollipop" on Lips tonight? You never return my phone calls... Anyway, we should get together sometime to listen to the Spice Girls' "Return to the Revenge of the Super Smash Hits of the 90's." Or, I mean, I'm easy, we can listen to that "Snoop Dogg Sings Gregorian Chant with Soothing Whale Sounds (feat. Barbara Striesand)" that you have in your car. Think about it. Just a suggestion. ...I miss your musk...

Posted on Aug 19, 2010 2:46:31 PM PDT
"Yeah, everyone's right. It was a 'had to been there' game." I don't exactly agree with that statement. Although I did immensely enjoy Chrono Trigger when it first came out I still enjoy it immensely to this day. Chrono Trigger is a shining example of what a great console RPG is, the storyline was incredible, the characters interesting, and the music . . .Where do I begin on the music? Let's just say that I have over 30 songs from www.ocremix.org on my phone from just Chrono Trigger, plus the original songs.

Quite frankly noticing that the newer JRPGs are lacking in quality (with some exceptions like FFX, Lost Odyssey) but none are games that I find myself going back to play over and over again like Chrono Trigger.

Posted on Oct 2, 2010 11:16:51 AM PDT
A. Slama says:
This is NOT a 'had to been there' game. This is THE best game ever. Maybe the graphics aren't so great, but look at the date- it is perfect for its time. If you want some fancy graphics, get the playstation version; it has animated cutscenes by famed character designer Akira Toriyama. The music is the best soundtrack ever- video game or film- what with both Nobuo Uematsu AND Yasunori Mitsuda authoring the soundtrack. The story is unsurpassable, there's a clear protagonist and antagonist, plot twists, character developement; a perfect example of storytelling expertise. As far as video game standpoint, this is the best battle system ever, and has ultimate replay value with the new game plus and multiple different endings. Anyone who says this game is horrible is severely damaged.

Posted on Oct 14, 2010 1:16:07 AM PDT
I think its hard for the newer generation of gamers to find some of these older classics worth it.....but it was definitely better when the game first came out, you really could appreciate where it was at its time. This is one of the best if not the best RPG ever made hands down though. The characters, story, techs.....everything is so superb and to say this game is pitiful is just idiotic! I truly feel sorry for those who have missed out and might never play this masterpiece!

Posted on Nov 10, 2010 3:03:28 PM PST
Yeah, I'm guessing this "angry person" is a kid. Chrono Trigger came out when I was 13 or 14, and it changed my life forever. Well, I don't know if it actually changed my life, but damn it is one of the best games ever made. I realize the new generation (or alot of them anyway) of gamers don't like it because you can't shoot someone in the face.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2010 2:27:49 AM PST
While i agree the Chrono line was maybe second best but come on the sound track to Lunar was pretty darn good also and who didn't love Luna by games end .

But the rest you are spot on . After all of the years past since i played it last i'm just getting readt to replay them both Trigger and Cross

Posted on Jan 10, 2011 12:16:29 AM PST
S. Abmeyer says:
This post is almost as blasphemous as the review that says the game has no "replay value". Come on!

This game is seriously one of the greats. Maybe it's lost a bit of it's appreciation because people don't realize exactly how revolutionary this game was. Midi's never sounded that good before this game, I swear that's true. The music has an ability to be emotional, and sweeping (okay, still not as good as Terra's theme, but Frog's is pretty close). It had new game+, multiple endings, an expansive world, time travel... What more do you need in an old snes game?

If anyone now sees this games and under-values or under-appreciates anything about it (especially calling it cliched), it's only because they fail to see that this game was the first to incorporate it.

Posted on May 19, 2011 1:15:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 19, 2011 1:25:30 PM PDT
HV says:
It seems more than likely that the starter of this topic played this game very little if at all. My younger brother who missed it the first time around (5 yrs old at the time)enjoyed this game immensely several years later once he finally understood how to play the game and appreciate it (just an example). I know that RPGs aren't everyone's cup of tea in which case you really can't possibly understand or fully appreciate this game for what it was and is to this day. Chrono Trigger has held up immensely well to this day with memorable characters, plot twists, multiple endings (not very common at all for its time), the death and resurrection of one of the main characters and revolutionary story telling that would serve as inspiration for many other RPGs to come. Heck even the graphics, though not as great by today's standards have still aged well compared to PS1/N64 games which nowadays look like blobby messes w/ their now very crude looking polygonal graphics. To the starter of this topic you must look back at what made this game so great and how it influenced other games and gamers in it's time and in the future to fully appreciate what a marvelous gem and timeless classic this game is in order to begin understanding why it has such a huge following to this day and why it's generally regarded as one of the greatest RPGs if not one of the greatest games ever.

Posted on Jul 10, 2011 12:34:43 AM PDT
J. Luciano says:
Kind of bringing back and old thread but when I first played this on the DS I initially didn't see what the big deal was. I enjoyed it but everything (the story, gameplay, characters, etc.) was way simple. But the farther I progressed in it, the more i fell in love with the game and its charm. That game is comparable to a classic piece of literature or really good old movie. It's just wonderful.

Posted on Jul 28, 2011 10:03:57 PM PDT
Rachel says:
I don't know what's wrong with this kid, I'm 16 years old, so I actually missed out on the golden era of JRPG's, and the NES-SNES days in general. But I've actually gone out of my way to play games like these because people tell me they are classics, and truthfully, I actually prefer old-school graphics do modern day ones. I'm playing through Chrono Trigger for the first time, and I must say, everything about it has captivated me, the music, the characters, the time-travel aspect, everything. I can understand why the majority of younger gamers would turn their noses up at such outdated games, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I wish today's youth would be more open-minded and willing to give these fantastic games a chance, as they are what has made the gaming industry what it is today.

Posted on May 8, 2012 4:00:27 PM PDT
Collector says:
To this day Chrono Trigger is my most played RPG of all time. I beat this game at least 20 times as a kid. The music, animations, characters, graphics were just amazing for an SNES game. It still has the best story of any RPG I've played.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Chrono Trigger forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Dec 8, 2006
Latest post:  May 8, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Chrono Trigger
Chrono Trigger by Square Enix (Nintendo Super NES)
4.9 out of 5 stars (164)