Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoor Deals on DOTD

Format: DVDChange

on February 19, 2002
I first saw this movie when I was eight years old and it captured my fancy so strongly that I just had to have it when I realized it was available on video. I wasn't disappointed at all -- it was still as great to me as it was twenty-seven years ago. In watching it now, I realize that it's a movie that will appeal to both children and their parents. If you sometimes dread sitting through children's videos with your little ones, get a copy of this video (and the White Seal!) and you'll enjoy watching it as much as the kids.
Rikki is a mongoose who is rescued by a British family living in India after the rodent nearly dies. They nurse him back to health and in gratitude, he becomes their house mongoose, saving all their lives on more than one occasion.
While most children these days are jaded by violence, be careful about showing this movie to very young children or sensitive children who are prone to nightmares because the snakes are portrayed as pure evil. There is no gore or bloodshed, but the snakes hiss and whisper about death and killing and plot to kill the whole family by sneaking into their house while they are sleeping. I don't remember this bothering me at age eight, but I think some two year olds might need their parents to explain to them that the story is set in a different place and time and that snakes do not hide in their own bathroom!
The animation for this film is lovely. It's simple, but it's a little more elaborate than the Bugs Bunny cartoons Chuck Jones directed and not that flat computer-generated stuff seen so often today. There is a song in the movie, but it's not a musical. The song is still stuck in my head today and it's as good as it is catchy.
Finally, the video is only half an hour long. It's short enough to leave an adult wanting to see more (again, get the White Seal!) but also to keep the children's interest without too much fidgeting. The story is delightful and will stay in your heart for years.
on January 25, 2008
1: Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
2: The White Seal
3: Mowgli's Brothers
4: Cricket in Times Square
5: Very Merry Cricket
6: Yankee Doodle Cricket

These are all beautifully animated.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon September 16, 2002
This is my favorite chuck jones animated feature. That's saying something, as I have seen tons of his cartoons in my short 20 year life-span ranging from the Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Movie to his awesome animated version of The Phantom Tollbooth. All of his cartoons are highly recommended, blending excellent storytelling, sweet background animation, hilarious humor, and the overall greatness with makes him a legend among cartoon makers. But this cartoon is my favorite work of his. I first saw it as a young child and it has improved with age. The voices are perfect, the pacing is perfect, the music is great, the animation is Chuck Jones' best. But what makes this movie for me is the way a house in India is made into an entire world for the hero of the story, a brave Mongoose called Rikki-Tikki-Tavi. He a cute furry creature, yet by fighting snakes who would harm his human masters he is (to me at least) like a knight protecting his kingdom from monsters. Everything in the movie is seen from his eyes, and he possesses an extreme sense of loyalty which makes him a very admirable character. I'm a hardcore animation collector, and I say if you take animation seriously at all you MUST own this animated film.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
A sweet little story that may frighten very young kids (the snakes, and the idea of a family being attacked by them) but is definitely worth a second or even a third look!
The title character is a little mongoose that is adopted by a Victorian English family, living in India (I think). He quickly becomes accustomed to the cushy life his family gives him--but his mongoose instincts come to the forefront when malevolent cobras are found living in the garden.
When he smells cobras, Rikki does a strange little glowing-eye thing and zips around in a blur. Parents with kids that are afraid of snakes should probably watch this first, as the evil cobras could be quite frightening.
And don't let the cover turn you off! This is better than a thousand other cartoons.
on November 21, 2000
Chuck Jones' best work, the animation has his style stamped all over it, a starry eyed mongoose that is saved by a family and in turn he saves each one of them by his cobra-killing heroics. The animation is of course beautifully done, and oddly does not look dated to these eyes.
I rented it again (after not seeing it for over a decade) when it was re-released and the magic captured me all over again. Kipling's classic is faithfully told with the moving pictures of animation, and Rikki-Tikki-Tavi, the mongoose is a determined creature who's only motives are to protect the ones he loves and who cared for him in his time of need, with very little t hought at the cost he could personally pay.. but of course this is a children's movie so it does have a happy ending, but the depth of the story should win over many fans despite its short running time.
on July 8, 1999
One of my favorite animated cartoons as a child. The animation by Chuck Jones is soem of his better independent work; the characters are all well-drawn and interesting, and the voice talent and music is well-done. They keep quite close to Rudyard Kipling's original story, and the songs are based closely from Kipling's.
It's a very watchable film, kids up to 12 or so will enjoy it plenty, and parents won't be nauseated at it as with a Barney video.
on January 4, 2002
It is for me anyways. I remember loving the very exotic, Hindu Indian feel from this movie. Rikki is an adroable character (Who is a mongoose, for that reviewer who didn't know), who is full of charm, but at the same time doesn't overdo the cute thing one bit, and show's off a darker, more vicious side when defending his new found family. Although I'm by no means, a supporter of sheltering children at all, I must say that the few scene's where Rikki gets deperate to save his master, the young boy, as well as the Snake's vicious ways may really scare some children. I'm not saying to keep it away, as it never scared me, and being realistic, probably won't scare children out of their wits at all as Rikki whops butt pretty much. But all the same, keep in mind this movie has its darker moments. But in short, its a simple plot, and a rather coy charm with a simple objective, and it gets the job done great. I really wish I had my own mongoose..
on May 18, 2004
I have such vivid memories of watching this story on TV as a kid. I was so excited when I ran across a battered VHS copy at a garage sale, my kids and I watched it repeatedly despite the poor quality. I'm glad it's still available for purchase.
Some movies/animated shorts that I liked as a child have been a disappointment to me when viewed again as an adult, but Rikki holds up very well. Chuck Jones keeps the animation simple, yet captures enough detail to help you appreciate the beauty and strangeness of these creatures.
Orsen Welles's narration adds a haunting depth to the Rudyard Kipling story - I cannot imagine the video having a fraction of its impact without him. Interestingly, I found the one song in the story not only catchy, but also quite moving. Not bad for a 30-minute TV piece.
Overall, a terrific family video. It's short, adventurous, full of positive messages, and doesn't seem to get old. Enjoy!
on October 6, 1999
i've been wanting to own this for years, ever since i saw it on TV as a wee little monster in the 70s. rikki is an endearing character, and i'm happy i can show this to my kids. (the songs are a bit annoying, though.)
on February 21, 2000
I grew up with this movie, and I've always loved it. It's about a rodent (I forget what type, but I'm guessing some sort of ferret or weasel) named Rikki-Tikki-Tavi who fights snakes that are trying to bite his family of humans. Any child should watch this movie. And please ignore the brightness of the cover-that cover makes me wince. The animation of the movie does NOT look like that!