5.0 out of 5 stars Sum 41 Get Better And Better...
Published on January 27, 2005 by A. Estes

3.0 out of 5 stars too much bad religion with too small a vocabulary
Published on October 12, 2004 by Jeremy Eagles

5.0 out of 5 stars Sum 41 Get Better And Better..., January 27, 2005
This review is from: Chuck (Audio CD)
Since Sum 41 burst onto the scene with their tongue-in-cheek, take it with a grain of salt hit, "Fat Lip," I've been a fan. While everyone was labelling them as a novelty and a passing fad, I was just hoping they would stick around to keep making more refreshing, fun and unique punk records. 2002's "Does This Look Infected" made good on a promise of more metal influence, and in turn created almost a new face for the band which is pushed even further on "Chuck." Now hold on, I know, to use metal and Sum 41 in the same sentence seems absurd, and may ruin what little chance I have of being accepted into any metal community, but Sum 41 embrace the old-school metal influences and turn them into completely original and, well, entertaining compositions. Sum 41 move further away from the label of just being snotty trouble makers and take things more seriously than ever before, with obvious Metallica and Iron Maiden influences to boot. The politically inspired first single "We're All To Blame" sets the tone for this album, a breezing, fast-moving piece that never lets you down for one minute. The next single "Pieces" embraces the more melodic and down-to-earth side of the band, while the almost Oasis-esque "Some Say" takes things in completely unexpected directions. The rest of the album is filled with familiar, fast paced songs that will put a grin on the face of any fan. Not bad for a band that rapped about Judas Priest and mullets in the past. If you never liked Sum 41 before, you might still like this album. It's got something for everyone, it's very entertaining, addictive, straight, and to the point. You don't have to be a fan of pop-punk to enjoy "Chuck," because Sum 41 are too good and too special to be placed in that category.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprise inside indeed!, December 1, 2004
This review is from: Chuck (Audio CD)
This album Rocks. Every other song I've previously heard from Sum 41 was sugar coated, pop filled puke inducing ordinairyness. I've never liked the sugar coating on most music. This is true today as it was back in high school, too long ago.

Today, however, I was in a music store and heard We're All to Blame. I thought, "This is a group I could very easily get into!". My jaw hit the floor when I heard that it was in fact Sum 41. The salesperson, whom I've shopped from for several years, said it rocks.

He wasn't kidding. I picked it right up. It's just so nice to see that they've dropped the pop and found a hard edged style to their music.

Some might say that this is Metallica, just a different group. I beg to differ, however. This is very different, and has a much more modern tint to the songs. Yeah, there are similarities, but it still is a lot closer to the newer style of hard edged rock/metal.

They've added a deep, thoughtfulness to the lyrics.

We're All To Blame talks about how we, as a society, are all to blame for the issues of the day.

Some Say is of how kids, and others of today don't buy all the lies and hiding of facts from them. I suspect it's about censorship.

The Bitter end talks about the "After Life"

Open Your Eyes talks about realizing how bad a relationship is.

Welcome to Hell is about taking care of your own **** cause in the end you're the one who's responsible in the end.

Pieces is about trying to be everything to everyone and end up failing and being alone.

This album is very good, and a refeshing change from the previous releases by Sum 41 I've seen them on MTV, heard them on the radio, and on other TV shows. I've never been impressed with them. UNTIL NOW that is!

Great album, well worth the money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Yeah..., October 11, 2005
This review is from: Chuck (Audio CD)
I still don't understand why people need to express their "hardcore" feeling by ranting online. Sum 41 is an excellent band with a top-of-the-line CD here. And I also disagree with those who say this CD is ripping off other bands. I have nearly one thousand songs, most of this punk/rock/metal type music, and they are as original as any other band out there. Sure, they're straying from their comedic roots, but if you can find one band that has done the exact same thing over a period of five to seven years, I don't want to listen to them. Part of what makes a band good is change, especially when that change shows off hidden talents (hint: Chuck is ten times more metal than All Killer No Filler).

The point is, this CD has more insightful lyrics and excellent instrumental skills than most metal bands out there, and since half the headbangers out there only want to listen to music that screams out of their stereos, Sum 41's talent is lost. I'd like to see all those guys in fifty years trying to bob their arthritic necks to Disturbed.

So stop hatin', and try to open your mind to a different noise.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good album from Sum, October 13, 2004
This review is from: Chuck (Audio CD)
If you are a fan of Sum 41, then their newest album shouldn't disappoint. This album is pretty similar to their last album "Does this look infected" (DTLI) as it has some heavy guitar riffs and fast-paced punk-sometimes bordering on metal. There is also some rapping in the verses of some of the songs like in DTLI. However, this album has some slower, more mellow songs unlike DTLI. So, if you liked Sum's first two poppier albums but didn't care for DTLI then I wouldn't recommend this album, but to all those who enjoy Sum's last album, I think you'll enjoy this one also. Chuck is a solid 38 minute long album with heavy guitars and catchy hooks. As far as content goes, the lyrics seem to be a little more serious than on prior albums and seem to be more influenced by current world occurences. But it all comes down to the fact that Sum 41 has done what they do best and put out a quality punk album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easily their best, October 17, 2004
Nick Colosi "Nick" (Chesterland, OH, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chuck (Audio CD)
The 4th album by Sum 41 is a great CD, lemme say that first. However, this has no impact on what I feel about the album, but I don't really think this is their hardest. They say, "If you liked the last one, you'll like this one." But I don't think this is like "Does this look infected?" I believe that that was their hardest, they've sort of blended their third album with "All Killer No Filler" and "Half Hour of Power" What may make it harder is the occasional scream, but the melodies are similar to that of their sophomore album. Anyway, the CD is no doubt their best yet. Here's what I think about each song:

Intro: I'm not sure why they have an intro in this, they really don't need it and next to their other songs it's not too impressive. 2/5

No Reason: Very good, but like I said, the first verse reminds me of "All Killer No Filler" Love the chorus, it's an all around awesome song. 5/5

We're All to Blame: Good song, this is where it starts to sound like "Does this look infected?" The chorus is kinda soft, but I love the verses and screaming. 4/5

Angels With Dirty Faces: This no doubt has the BEST chorus of any song on the CD. A hard, fast song and an amazing one as well. 5/5

Some Say: This song is like a trip down memory lane. It sounds just like the stuff from their first 2 albums. Very good soft song. 5/5

The Bitter End: Not my favorite, it's good and all, but it seems to have kinda boring lyrics. 3/5

Open Your Eyes: Amazing song, second favorite on the album, it's very catchy, even thought the lyrics are shallow. 5/5

Slipping Away: My least favorite song. It's like a softer version of "The Bitter End" 3/5

I'm Not The One: The by far greatest song on the album, from the intro to the screaming verses and the chorus. 5/5

Welcome to Hell: A great song, but it's a little short, not even 2 minutes. Besides that it's kickass! 5/5

Pieces: The second soft song, but unlike the last, I love this one. The lyrics, unlike the rest of the song, are deeper, and they leave you thinking, like Story of the Year and Linkin Park do on their CDs.

There's No Solution: Not great but I listen to it, it's a good song. Kinda reminds me of "No reason"

88: Awesome song to close with, they end on a great note, getting very hard and very soft in the same song. 5/5

All in all, it's amazing, I recomend anyone who has ever liked Sum 41 to get this CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Whole Is Worth More Than The Sum 41 Of Its Parts, October 9, 2004
This review is from: Chuck (Audio CD)
This is the Limited Edition Japanese Import of Chuck, the newest release by Sum 41. (Currently the available Amazon information is sketchy).

As far as the Sum 41 sound goes, you are not going to find any surprising changes here on Chuck. The distinctive vocals, choruses, and guitar sound are here in abundance. It's a very well produced CD and I am sure noone will be disappointed by it.

Sum 41 fans, new and old, will be pleased. I'm giving it 5 stars even if for just the sheer amount of Sum 41 material included here. The Japanese bonus tracks and the bonus DVD make this something more to own. Without the bonuses, I'd give the first 13 songs (in effect, the North American release) 3.5 to 4 stars.

Many will have already heard Chuck's first single, "We're All to Blame" and seen the video on MTV prior to its upcoming release for sale in the United States (October 12, 2004).

(*) The Japanese import includes a bonus DVD that includes performances from Summer Sonic 2004 in Chiba, Japan and from Make Bombs and Happy Endings, 2003, Tokyo, Japan. Some of the video tracks you may have already seen as part of a number of MTV specials done on the band this summer and over the past year.

The track listing is as follows: (currently there is no track information available on Amazon.com)

CD-1

Track 12: There's No Solution

Track 13: 88

Track 14: Newts(?) (*)

Track 15: Moron (*)

Track 16: Subject To Change (*)

(*) Japanese Bonus Tracks - Actually these have turned out to be among my favorites off the entire CD

Bonus DVD

(From Summer Sonic, 2004/8/7, Chiba Marine Stadium, Japan)

1. Mister Amsterdam

2. The Hell Song

3. Over My Head (Better Off Dead)

4. Fat Lip

5. Still Waiting

(From Make Bombs and Happy Endings, Live In Tokyo, 2003/5/17, Tokyo Bay NK Hall, Tokyo, Japan)

6. All Messed Up

7. Machine Gun

8. Grab The Devil

9. Motivation

10. Pain For Pleasure

3.0 out of 5 stars too much bad religion with too small a vocabulary, October 12, 2004
Jeremy Eagles (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chuck (Audio CD)
Although I really like sum 41, this album does not show the creative spark of their first three albums. According to the cd insert, the cd has something to do with war, somthing about the congo. If there is a story, if they are trying to get a point across, i am not getting the picture. Are they anti-war? anti-american? the cd relies too much on rhyming day ,away, and way and the lyrics aren't focusing on anything in particular across all the tracks. the guitarwork is great as usual, even if nothing creative or new from the first 3 albums. there were some stringed instruments on one track, nothing too fancy, similar to green day's use of strings

to me, it seems like the band was greatly affected by some experiences with war in some poverty-stricken nations, but they lack the social vision and maturity to convey exactly what is important about what they saw. they need some deep reflection and a larger vocabulary in order to grapple with topics like war. it doesn't really add anything to say "there's no solution", although day clearly rhymes with away as they demonstrate on at least half of the tracks. the band could be angry, or they could be making on stand on an issue, but i'm really not sure.

4.0 out of 5 stars good politics, good instrumentalism, good lyrics, good cd, October 12, 2004
This review is from: Chuck (Audio CD)
If you listen to Sum 41's previous album, "Does this Look Infected?" almost every song has an underlying subtle political message with the exclusion of Still Waiting, which is an obivous cry for peace.

This CD however, is obviously political, with songs like "We're All to Blame" which you may not like because of it's style, but it will definitely make you think, because of parts like the amazingly written chorus, "...and we're all to blame, we've gone to far, from pride to shame, we're hopelessly blisful and blind to all we are; we want it all, with no sacrifice".

The songs are by far darker and progression from the pop-punk radio classics from previous CD's, which nonetheless command respect. The songs on this album in a sense are reminiscant of the sad and angry songs of Linkin Park, and are more emotionally moving, because of their rythm and melodies.

This is an amazing CD, with a great 48 second instrumental song, titled, "Intro". I know, I know, I have an idea of why it's called that.

Buy this CD, or at least borrow it from a friend, and take a listen, and if you like it, buy it right away, and don't use Kazaa.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Very Solid Album... but the originality needs work, June 14, 2005
This review is from: Chuck (Audio CD)
I bought this album almost when it came out last November and now i have decided to write this review. Wow I tell you when i look back,I ask myself, How could a snotty and downright bad band like Sum 41 write such good music? Well they have matured since their debut Half Hour of Power and All Killer No Filler. They have shown another side of themselves, a more serious, melodic and politically motivated one. I still have the opinion that Does This Look Infected was better than this album. I worshipped DTLI and thought it was an amazing album and had the realese date for Chuck marked on my calender. Since DTLi was released in 2002 i was waiting for two years for a new Sum album. I was happy to get it and loved most of the songs. I was dissapointed thought when i learned of the....similarities with other songs. Take Pieces and Coldplay's The Scientist. Same chord progression. hmmmmmm. All in all, it was a solid album with good songs but like the title says, get some originality like was seen on DTLI! Buy this album or DTLI or Megadeth's The System Has Failed

4.0 out of 5 stars Good CD, November 13, 2004
This review is from: Chuck (Audio CD)
This album is a huge improvement for this band. They get better with each album. They are by far the best of the pop-punk bands.

1. Intro -- just a short instrumental, nothing special

2. No Reason (9/10) -- One of their heaviest tracks ever. Killer chorus. 2nd best song on the album.

3. We're All to Blame (9/10) -- Sounds like a punk version of System of a Down's "Chop Suey." It's the best song on the album, and the best song Sum 41 has ever done.

4. Angels With Dirty Faces (6/10) -- Another heavy song, but drags through the verses. The chorus isn't bad.

5. Some Say (8/10) -- Softer song, sounds like some of the songs from their 2nd album, "All Killer No Filler."

6. The Bitter End (6/10) -- Here's a real heavy song for these guys. Sounds A LOT like Metallica's "Battery." Nice guitar solos here, but the vocals aren't too good.

7. Open Your Eyes (8/10) -- Another song with a great chorus. Nice guitar work in the verses.

8. Slipping Away (7/10) -- Softest song I've ever heard from this band. Very well placed in the album as a break between the heavier stuff.

9. I'm Not the One (7/10) -- Great intro, sounds like Linkin Park. Another powerful chorus like tracks 2 & 7, but not as good.

10. Welcome to Hell (6/10) -- Short power-punk song. Sounds like The Offspring.

11. Pieces (9/10) -- This should definitely be the next single. It's the best of the 3 softer songs on the album, and it's their best chance for cross-over success. Has "Top 40" written all over it.

12. There's No Solution (7/10) -- Another great intro, and another great chorus. A little slower than most of the other songs on the album, but still pretty heavy.

13. 88 (6/10) -- Starts off like a typical Sum 41 song, then gets real soft for the first verse, but the rest of the song is pretty typical. Nothing special here.

14. Noots (bonus track) (5/10) -- Doesn't suck, but its pretty boring. The chorus is decent though.

15. Moron (bonus track) (5/10) -- Intro sounds like Green Day. Another pretty boring song with a decent chorus.

16.Subject to Change (bonus track) (7/10) -- Long intro, which isn't bad. Guitar work in the verse reminds me of Papa Roach from their Infest album, and the chorus is almost identical musically to the one in "No Reason," but the lyrics here sound stupid.

Chuck
Chuck by Sum 41 (Audio CD - 2004)