5.0 out of 5 stars Come inside a boy's imagination for some train play!
Published on October 3, 2002 by ChristineMM

3.0 out of 5 stars average
This book is very colorful and the children love the whooo, whooo parts of the book. I think that this book is average, it is a very short book and on some of the pages the rhyming is a little off. I usually don't write reviews, but many people tend to give 5 stars to every book just because there is nothing wrong with it, but I have read much better books. Consider...
Published on February 17, 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars Come inside a boy's imagination for some train play!, October 3, 2002
This review is from: Chugga Chugga Choo Choo (Hardcover)
This is a great rhyming story about a boy's imaginative train play. A young boy has set up a creative train layout in his room: going over the fish tank (bridge), to the freight yard, up mountains, down valleys, etc. His entire room is laid out with track and many of his toys are involved in the layout such as blocks to prop up the track and dolls to lift boxes. As we read the book we see the toys "moving" and doing jobs and the illustrations are such that we are as small as the train and looking out and around as if we were riding the train ourselves. At the end the train is said to go into the roundhouse and the boy is seen sleeping in bed with his locomotive and the track laid out on the floor all around his room! Great imagination!
The text itself is well written and rhyming and just has a great flow to it.
I bought our first hardcover edition right after it was published which was over 3 years ago. My older son has loved this since he was 2 years old and I have read it over and over and over. He is a real train lover and even now at age 5 he loves this book (over many of the other train-themed children's fiction books we own).
The text is not annoying in any way and I truly don't groan when I have to reread it to him several times. My second son has loved this book since infancy. Sadly, after 3 years of handling it finally fell apart and now I am buying a second hardcover edition. I browsed the board book version in a store but was disappointed. The hardcover is a larger size than usual and the illustrations are bold and large. In the board book version some of the illustrations are greatly pared down in size and much is lost. If you own the board version I highly recommend also buying the hardcover edition if your child likes the book. This would make a great gift!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Required Book for your child's library, May 28, 2000
This review is from: Chugga Chugga Choo Choo (Hardcover)
We borrowed this book from the library. After having it read to him for the first time, my 2 1/2 year old son practically took possession of it. We returned it 3 days ago and he asks for it repeatedly. I told him that we would borrow it again later. Tonight, just as he was falling asleep, he said "Chugga, where are you? In the library? Come back later." Now I have to buy it so that he will always have it on hand when he wants it. This is a wonderful book for reading out loud. I would love to send a personal note to Mr. Lewis and Mr. Kirk telling them how much we enjoy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Whoooooooo! Whoooooooo! Winner!, May 10, 2002
This review is from: Chugga Chugga Choo Choo (Hardcover)
Tag along with a little boy and his steam engine as they "chugga-chugga choo-choo" to the city on a very busy day. This engaging little book, (also available in board size), begs to be read repeatedly due to its wonderfully rhythmic prose and vibrantly animated illustrations. "Sun's up! Morning's here. Up and at 'em, engineer. Chugga-chugga choo-choo, whistle blowing, Whoooooooo! Whoooooooo!" This book is actually a nighttime story, but my 11th month old is so enthralled by the vivid colors and musical beat that I read it to him after his naps. Oh, and not just for little boys, my four-year old niece adores this book. She asks for Chugga-chugga choo-choo and walks around afterwards saying Whoooooooo! Whoooooooo! A real winner! Birth and up.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great rhyming, chime-in read-along about TRAINS!, May 20, 1999
This review is from: Chugga Chugga Choo Choo (Hardcover)
"Sun's up, morning's here. Up and at 'em, engineer!" After one reading, this became my 2-yr-old son's favorite book. He loves to chime in with the last line of verse on each page. As a train fanatic, he loves seeing all the parts of the toy train and making the Whooo Whooo sounds. As a parent, I find the setting in a child's room (rather than in the outdoors) very refreshing. Morning, naptime, bedtime, we are probably reading this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read says the librarian., October 19, 1999
By A Customer
My daughter's story hour teacher said this book is a must read and was keeping it to share with all her groups. I agree and so do the kids. It reminds me of another favorite, "The Tub People". The child's toys have an adventure of their own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Book!, March 25, 2000
Jennifer (Roseville, Ca) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chugga Chugga Choo Choo (Hardcover)
My 3 year old son and my 1.5 year old daughter LOVE this book. I have to read it over and over. They are both reading it to me now they have heard it so much! Finally, something they will both sit down and listen to at the same time!

5.0 out of 5 stars My son's all-time favorite!, October 4, 1999
This review is from: Chugga Chugga Choo Choo (Hardcover)
Currently I don't know the whereabouts of this book in my house. I had to hide it so my son wouldn't see it. If we read it once, we have to read it 20 times (at least). He is so in love with the pictures and the story and he loves to go "Whoo Whoo". I am going to order another one because I know the first one will wear out from constant use...if only I can find it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Chugga Chugga Classic, August 17, 1999
By A Customer
My 2 year-old train-obsessed son almost immediately elevated this book to favorite status. He loves the journey the train takes, and I love both the engaging illustrations and the quiet, peaceful ending: "Sleepy sleepy choo choo, till tomorrow..." A great bedtime book.

5.0 out of 5 stars I never thought I could love a children's book so much., July 25, 2006
This review is from: Chugga Chugga Choo Choo (Hardcover)
This one is fun to read, with wonderful rhymes and rhythms, and it has terrific, colorful illustrations. I wish I could find more books like it, because my two sons both adore it. In fact, my 4 year old routinely sneeks it out of my toddler's bedroom, so that I can read it to him again at bedtime.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Delightful Bedtime Book for Little Engineers, May 15, 2006
This is a great bedtime book for any toddler or new reader who loves trains. The whimsical story depicts a little boy's toys running his trains while he sleeps, eventually putting all of their "cargo" away for the night and delivering his locomotive engine and stuffed animals to him in his bed.

The pictures are vividly colorful and full of lots of details that your child will love to pick out. The writing relies on a refrain of the "woo-hoo" sound of the train whistle, encouraging him/her to join along. The rhyming pairs also have a lyrical quality that makes it easy for the reader to interject a lot of emphasis and personality into the reading.

The book itself is a board book small enough for a toddler to easily carry or to bring along on a car trip.

If your child loves trains, then this is a can't-miss.

Chugga Chugga Choo Choo
Chugga Chugga Choo Choo by Kevin Lewis (Hardcover - May 5, 1999)
$14.99 $11.30