Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Chugga-Chugga Choo-Choo
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Board book|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon October 3, 2002
This is a great rhyming story about a boy's imaginative train play. A young boy has set up a creative train layout in his room: going over the fish tank (bridge), to the freight yard, up mountains, down valleys, etc. His entire room is laid out with track and many of his toys are involved in the layout such as blocks to prop up the track and dolls to lift boxes. As we read the book we see the toys "moving" and doing jobs and the illustrations are such that we are as small as the train and looking out and around as if we were riding the train ourselves. At the end the train is said to go into the roundhouse and the boy is seen sleeping in bed with his locomotive and the track laid out on the floor all around his room! Great imagination!
The text itself is well written and rhyming and just has a great flow to it.
I bought our first hardcover edition right after it was published which was over 3 years ago. My older son has loved this since he was 2 years old and I have read it over and over and over. He is a real train lover and even now at age 5 he loves this book (over many of the other train-themed children's fiction books we own).
The text is not annoying in any way and I truly don't groan when I have to reread it to him several times. My second son has loved this book since infancy. Sadly, after 3 years of handling it finally fell apart and now I am buying a second hardcover edition. I browsed the board book version in a store but was disappointed. The hardcover is a larger size than usual and the illustrations are bold and large. In the board book version some of the illustrations are greatly pared down in size and much is lost. If you own the board version I highly recommend also buying the hardcover edition if your child likes the book. This would make a great gift!
22 comments|92 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 28, 2000
We borrowed this book from the library. After having it read to him for the first time, my 2 1/2 year old son practically took possession of it. We returned it 3 days ago and he asks for it repeatedly. I told him that we would borrow it again later. Tonight, just as he was falling asleep, he said "Chugga, where are you? In the library? Come back later." Now I have to buy it so that he will always have it on hand when he wants it. This is a wonderful book for reading out loud. I would love to send a personal note to Mr. Lewis and Mr. Kirk telling them how much we enjoy this book.
on May 10, 2002
Tag along with a little boy and his steam engine as they "chugga-chugga choo-choo" to the city on a very busy day. This engaging little book, (also available in board size), begs to be read repeatedly due to its wonderfully rhythmic prose and vibrantly animated illustrations. "Sun's up! Morning's here. Up and at 'em, engineer. Chugga-chugga choo-choo, whistle blowing, Whoooooooo! Whoooooooo!" This book is actually a nighttime story, but my 11th month old is so enthralled by the vivid colors and musical beat that I read it to him after his naps. Oh, and not just for little boys, my four-year old niece adores this book. She asks for Chugga-chugga choo-choo and walks around afterwards saying Whoooooooo! Whoooooooo! A real winner! Birth and up.
on May 20, 1999
"Sun's up, morning's here. Up and at 'em, engineer!" After one reading, this became my 2-yr-old son's favorite book. He loves to chime in with the last line of verse on each page. As a train fanatic, he loves seeing all the parts of the toy train and making the Whooo Whooo sounds. As a parent, I find the setting in a child's room (rather than in the outdoors) very refreshing. Morning, naptime, bedtime, we are probably reading this book.
on October 19, 1999
My daughter's story hour teacher said this book is a must read and was keeping it to share with all her groups. I agree and so do the kids. It reminds me of another favorite, "The Tub People". The child's toys have an adventure of their own.
on March 25, 2000
My 3 year old son and my 1.5 year old daughter LOVE this book. I have to read it over and over. They are both reading it to me now they have heard it so much! Finally, something they will both sit down and listen to at the same time!
on October 4, 1999
Currently I don't know the whereabouts of this book in my house. I had to hide it so my son wouldn't see it. If we read it once, we have to read it 20 times (at least). He is so in love with the pictures and the story and he loves to go "Whoo Whoo". I am going to order another one because I know the first one will wear out from constant use...if only I can find it!
on June 5, 2015
This is absolutely one of my sons favorite books (20 month old). He loves trains and the art in the book is so great. The book takes us through a journey of a young child as they play with their train set. Many of the other toys in the room become involved in the journey as the train chugs across the room ending up in the roundhouse...the boys bed...forsleep time.

While the story is good, it's really the art my 20 month old son loves (I think). He brings it to me to read often and loves saying "Chugga, Chugga, choo choo, whoo, whoo throughout the book.

Very nice book for any little train lover.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon December 30, 2015
My almost three-year-old son LOVES trains and I wanted to buy him some train books for Christmas. I had seen this book in my list of recommendations based on my recent purchases and it was a great price so I ordered it. When he opened it on Christmas morning, he was delighted! I have now read it to him and his twin sister so many times but they never get tired of it.

This book is wonderful for little boys or girls to inspire their imaginations. The story is told in a beautiful, poetic way that makes it easy and fun to read. Each set of pages contains one or two sentences that describe what trains do during the day like load up their cargo, go through tunnels, and finally, at the end of the day, unload their freight and go to bed. Several of the pages even end with "whoooooo! whooooooo!," which is fun for kids to hear. The pictures even show all of the toys and stuffed animals taking part in the train's day-to-day activities which I love.

As I was reading this book for the first time to my kids, I noticed that the style is very similar to another book that we own, My Truck is Stuck! I compared them and discovered that Kevin Lewis wrote both books and Daniel Kirk illustrated both as well so if your child likes that book, this one would be another good book to add to your collection.

Chugga-Chugga-Choo-Choo is a wonderful book and is perfect for any child who likes trains. At roughly 24 thick, sturdy board book pages, it's a great size for small hands and I'm glad I found this one for my son. He loves it and asks for it every night before bedtime, as well as throughout the day! I highly recommend this book for anyone whose child likes trains!
on August 17, 1999
My 2 year-old train-obsessed son almost immediately elevated this book to favorite status. He loves the journey the train takes, and I love both the engaging illustrations and the quiet, peaceful ending: "Sleepy sleepy choo choo, till tomorrow..." A great bedtime book.