4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, but complex. Really for ages 4-5 and up.
My best friend's son is a brilliant 3 year old boy who loves trains. The minute he saw the box he was literally slack-jawed and almost shaking with excitement. As he watched (and tried to help) this giant train track being constructed, he could barely wait.

Published 22 months ago by Lynda Lippin

I got this for my almost four year old son who loves trains and transportation in general. He has a wooden Chuggington set but not the die cast version so this was our first.

Published 23 months ago by Mindy

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun in the original configuration but the other two are poorly designed, October 17, 2012
Mindy (North Carolina, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

Out of the box it was easy to set up. A few minutes of putting pieces together and we were ready to go. At first glance, I thought "Well, this isn't going to last long." To me, it seemed like a very limited toy; there was only so much you can do with it. However my son's eyes lit up and he's been playing with it for a week now and hasn't gotten tired of it. I think the part that really tickles him is making the cones fly off when the train rushes by. We also discovered that you can make the turntable spin if you turn it a certain way. It's not reliable but when it works, Wilson zooms down with a whoosh, spins the sign, the cones fly off, then lands on the turn table which spins around crazily. He loves it!

I figured when he gets tired of it, we can put the track into the different configurations but so far, he hasn't gotten bored. He plays with it everyday and for extended periods so I'm impressed. We've gotten more play than I thought we would so definite thumbs up here.

Edit 10/27/2012: After playing a couple weeks, we finally decided to take the track apart and try the other configurations. Bad move. The other two configurations were poorly designed with the train falling off or not building up enough speed. We tried to design our own configuration but the downhill segments only turn one direction which severely limited what you could do. Had to take off a star for that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, but complex. Really for ages 4-5 and up., December 2, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

The original layout works the best and is the easiest to set up. Train track is sturdy and not prone to tipping or breaking. There are lots of sounds and lights to add interest, and the AA batteries are included in the package.

Everett is into speed, and this thing is fast! So fast that cones fly off the tracks and the turntable spins the train around. All he wanted to do was set that up over and over again.

I think this a toy that he can grow into, and as he learns to put things together and can create different tracks it will be even more fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars So much better after redesign, September 27, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We bought the original Chuggington Die Cast set right after it was introduced. That was the one with the tab like track that was very difficult to put together, even for me. Much less the children. They never played with the old set because it was so hard to do.

I'm really happy about the new style of track. This one is sort of hexagon shaped and it goes together much easier. The ends have circles on the sides, which match up to the circles on the trestles, making the track sturdier. The trestles also snap together. Because of that, my 2 year old had a little trouble putting it together, but the 6 year old didn't. He saw me put it together once and was very soon making his own layouts and moving parts like he had been playing with it for a while. Neither of us had trouble connecting the parts. I did notice (thank you Tomy!) that the parts are labeled on the bottom with the same letters that the instructions show. That's a cool touch.

This initial set is a nice size. I like that it is expandable, thanks to the roundhouse style turntable. The first time we sent Wilson down I didn't realize that he would trigger the turntable to spin! He kinda flew off! You have to set the turntable to the correct side of it for it to trigger, I think. There are 3 places for additional track to be connected off the turntable, so this can easily become a much larger set, once more is released (hint hint Tomy...).

The sounds from the Storm Maker are a little loud, so we covered the speaker with a piece of scotch tape and it's much better. It was funny to see my 2 year old jump when it made a sound a few seconds after we were playing with it! (Like a "hey don't forget to play with me" chime or something.) For that reason, make sure you turn the Storm Maker off when you're done playing!

The description says it has "exciting lights" and I have not found those at all. I see nothing that lights up, unless I'm just really missing it. It does not say in the description that there is a rolling stock car that comes with Wilson, but there is.

There is also an included adapter to connect this new style of track to the old. That will be handy for making larger sets since we do have a bit of the old track! I really hope that there will be adapters for sale when track packs come out so we can make a loop connecting the whole set.

Just a tip for set up...the instructions say to put the bumper part at the top (back of the Storm Maker) but we found that if you use the track indicated for "track to floor" in that space, it's much easier to load the train into the top for launching. A few squished fingers discovered this since we were trying to put Wilson in from the side and the 2 year old wanted to pull the lever before we were ready!

I liked that it had the batteries included as well. It was ready to go, out of the box, as soon as we could get it set up!

I have uploaded a picture so you can see a pretty good representation of how big the set is when finished.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tomy Finally got it right With this set!, December 28, 2012
This review is from: Chuggington StackTrack Wilson's Wild Ride (Toy)
I have gone through many differant toy train sets and could not find one that didn't seem to be just junk! Thomas no detail on the cars and the track system never stayed together Geo Trax I had the same issue. I had a Chuggington set before Chuggingtons All Around Town set and though the Track system was better then the others it still didn't seem to hold up but the engines and cars are very nicely detailed and take alot of play. This year I was considering again another train system I looked at Lionel Little Lines or maybe Wooden Thomas set but again no details and the track systems seemed to be junk. My daughter kept seeing this advertised and kept asking for Santa to bring her this I caved through the dice and though it is only 12-28 The track system is much much better the engine has great details on it and the overall system of pulling the lever so Wilson flys down the track works pretty decent. My daughter loves it, It comes with a track converter if you have any of the older sets which is nice. I am not disappointed this time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to put together, works reliably, April 21, 2013
This review is from: Chuggington StackTrack Wilson's Wild Ride (Toy)
This was very easy to put together (unlike Thomas track master sets), and it works consistently every time for my son. My four year old son loves it very much.

5.0 out of 5 stars It stays together!!!!, March 6, 2013
This review is from: Chuggington StackTrack Wilson's Wild Ride (Toy)
Finally, and track that stays together. My sons love that the track can be stacked higher and higher. I wish there was more straight track but that's me. My sons rate this a 5 star.

5.0 out of 5 stars so easy!, December 27, 2012
This review is from: Chuggington StackTrack Wilson's Wild Ride (Toy)
Setup was a breeze and my son loves it! He received a Thomas track and we ended up shipping it back and plan on getting another chuggington track to go with this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars My son loves this..., February 5, 2013
This review is from: Chuggington StackTrack Wilson's Wild Ride (Toy)
He's 2.5 and has not stopped talking about "chiggers" since he opened this on Christmas. He plays with this for at least an hour at a time each time. The only problem is he keeps wanting more and more Chuggingington trains.

3.0 out of 5 stars Age appropriateness matters, November 21, 2012
Aretae (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a good toy that wasn't age appropriate for my kids. When purchasing this, pay attention to the ages (3-5) that the toy is targetted for. It only held the attention of my 6 yo for a half hour. Though the 8 year old spent a couple hours over a couple days reconfiguring it, and testing things with it before forgetting about it in favor of a refrigerator box that she could decorate as a kid's hideout. Despite it's being present, set up in the room, they haven't used it in a month.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better as an expansion set than a starter set, October 3, 2012
This review is from: Chuggington StackTrack Wilson's Wild Ride (Toy)
My 4.5 year old saw the commercials and thought this was a cool set. While he has some other chuggington trains, we haven't invested in yet another track system. Therefore this is our only "Chuggington" track.

It was easy to put together and the tracks are very sturdy. The pieces are labelled and match the instructions. It's a bit hard for kids to snap the riser supports together, so they'll need some adult help with that. The batteries in my set for the sound were completely dead, but the sounds work fine once replaced.

The set works well, although the setup leaves fairly limited options on its own. Just running the trains down the tower gets old after a while. While there's alternate layouts, you can't take full advantage of the roundabout with just the pieces from this set. It's also hard to make a looping track as all the curves and ramps go the same direction.

It's not a bad set and is fun, but I think it would be better as an add-on rather than a child's main track.