5.0 out of 5 stars Great
Purchased for use with my new Fujipix 12MP Water Camera - no problem keeping it where I could see it in the water. Camera is submerged but float is large enough and bright enough to spot. I think it is much more attractive than those big multi creased floats. Also has a quick clip so you can easily remove the float when not on the water.
Published on August 25, 2010

3.0 out of 5 stars Chums took the Silver medal
Published on June 12, 2012 by C. Welsh

3.0 out of 5 stars Chums took the Silver medal, June 12, 2012
This review is from: Chums Waterproof Camera Float (Camera)
I purchased 3 floating camera straps - the Vivatar, the Olympus and the Chums -since they were all pretty inexpensive and they all seemed to have good reviews and bad reviews. After trying out all 3 I decided the Olympus will go with me on my next snorkeling adventure with my new Nikon Coolpix AW100 (which I absolutely love but that's for another review). Here are my observations on all three straps. I ordered all 3 in yellow - the Vivatar was a kind of dingy orangish yellow while the other two were a bright yellow which I felt would be easier to spot so score 1 for Olympus and Chums. The Vivatar and Olympus both were easy to dry off while the Chums is made of a kind of spongy material which doesn't dry off right away so score one for Vivatar and Olympus. The Olympus and Chums fit my wrist very nicely whereas I wasn't quite sure how to attach the Vivatar to my person. I thought the Olympus when it was cinched up fit my wrist especially well so score two for Olympus and one for Chums. A side note here - I have an average man's size hands whereas my wife has long slender hands. The Olympus slid right off of her hand even when it was cinched up so the Chums might actually work better for her. The Olympus and the Chums both seemed more buoyant than the Vivatar. The Vivatar failed the bathtub test - filling my bathtub to the top and dropping the strap into the water attached to the Nikon (it's a Jacuzzi tub so it's fairly deep). The Nikon was actually resting on the bottom of the tub with the Vivatar whereas it was not touching with the other two straps. The Vivatar was holding up one end of the camera so I suspect in deeper waters it would keep the camera floating but I don't know that for sure. Score one apiece for the Olympus and the Chums. One final observation - and this one is a little subjective. The Olympus just seemed better constructed with more durable parts and connections than the other two. Score one point for Olympus. Final score => Vivatar - 1 point, Olympus - 6 points, Chums - 3 points. Hope this is helpful

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, August 25, 2010
A Kid's Review

1.0 out of 5 stars Lets make the best of something totally Bad!, June 13, 2012
Nick Fav (South Jersey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chums Waterproof Camera Float (Camera)
I bought this product without reading comments because it just looked like exactly what I wanted... then I got it, and saw a huge flaw. The black clip pops off soooo easy!!!! BUUUTTTTT, let me tell those who have bought this already that it is okay. You can rig it like I have to make this a perfectly good device. Besides, the other alternatives are bulky and ugly in my opinion, right? Okay. So the idea is to attach your original camera's wrist strap along side of this floatable strap. Once both are attached (you might already see where I am going with this), you send the original strap thru the yellow float strap (thru the large hole for your wrist) and then send your entire camera thru your original strap on the other side. This is what I call lassoing your original strap to your float strap as a backup cord. This way you get a secure connection to your camera and a nice slick looking float.

I also added pics of this to the product on amazon for you to check out for added support. Hope this helps!! PS. Chums should have made a better product in the first place, but lets make lemonade out of a lemon!

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer beware, June 22, 2011
This review is from: Chums Waterproof Camera Float (Camera)
I bought this strap for a Kodak waterproof video camera. Although this seemed to be well constructed, it failed when I used it for my snorkel trip to Hawaii. The cord that connected the float to the camera broke. If it weren't for a miracle of a nice young man who dove down at least 20 feet to retrieve the camera I would have lost some of the best videos I have ever shot of dolphins and manta rays. Don't buy this cord. I also have an Olympus cord for my still camera and it has held up much better than this cord that I only used for one trip.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid wrist strap, January 30, 2011
This review is from: Chums Waterproof Camera Float (Camera)
Bought this for a cruise to use with my Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2, which Amazon tells me weighs 5.9 oz. It was easy to connect (and disconnect with a quick release), floated to the top of the water quickly, held up well and was easy to see from a ways away. It is much better looking than some of the life vest looking ones on Amazon. Great product that did exactly what it was supposed to.

1.0 out of 5 stars Work as expected but broken after 14 days of use, August 12, 2011
This review is from: Chums Waterproof Camera Float (Camera)
I bought this with the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 waterproof camera. This product is fantastic. I took the camera in a 21-day trip to the Olympic National Park and the Canadian Rockies. The big yellow band is comfortable to wear and easy to recognize, both in and out of water. The band does float the camera, even in the several hot springs we visited. However, the thin thread that ties the big yellow floater to the camera broke after 14days. The same one that comes as part of the camera has a much thicker thread. I would think that a product that charges $10 should not cut corners on the material compared to the one that comes free with the camera. Without this drawback I'd give 5 stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars BROKE QUICKLY, July 8, 2011
This review is from: Chums Waterproof Camera Float (Camera)
I have had this for a little over a month and only have used it a couple times. I picked the camera up today by the yellow strap and it broke at the point where the strap was sewn on to the black connector portion. I would not recommend this product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke within seconds out of the package, April 19, 2012
This review is from: Chums Waterproof Camera Float (Camera)
I just made this purchase for an underwater camera I bought for the cruise I am taking in 3 days. Within seconds out of the package, my girlfriend gave a very light tug on the black connector that's sewed to the strap as it doesn't look very secure and the entire thing pulled right out. Now, I have to admit I read the reviews prior to my purchase and was very skeptical with all of the bad reviews stating this similar issue and I can assure you that they are all entirely true. I bought it with the idea that in the worst case I would just loop my existing camera strap around the floating wrist strap and this will suffice for my needs. It was a struggle to find any floating camera strap with a good review. I can't understand how a manufacturer can continue to produce a product with such a poor quality. The device is supposed to be designed to hold a camera floating in the water and the manufacturing of the product comes nowhere close to accomplishing this in the least. If you purchase this product, be aware you will have to modify the stitching to support the camera and be mindful of the black, quick connect piece as it feels like it could break easily. Be sure to wrap your existing camera strap around the float itself as caution or you will lose your camera under water. Amazon should pull this product from its listing immediately until the manufacturers produce at least something that could pass as a quality product. clearly there was absolutely zero testing done on this product before mass production.

1.0 out of 5 stars Strap broke... lost camera in lake, September 20, 2011
This review is from: Chums Waterproof Camera Float (Camera)
Bought a Panasonic underwater camera for our cruise to Mexico and bought this strap to go along with it. Took a bunch of pictures and when we got back, we went to a lake party but I did not get a chance to download the pictures off the camera before we went to the party. At the lake, I was floating around with the camera strapped to my wrist and next thing you know, the strap broke and the camera went to the bottom (around 25-30ft deep). Tried getting a diver out to look for it but was not able to. Lost all our cruise pictures along with the camera! Will not buy this strap again!

1.0 out of 5 stars Stupid Thing lost my camera!!, April 24, 2011
This review is from: Chums Waterproof Camera Float (Camera)
I used it for 3-4 times and the little string attached to the camera broke in a cave in the Dom.Rep and the cam is on the ground now. It's a frequent thing check the other bad reviews...

Don't loos your cam over this or handle with care!!

Chums Waterproof Camera Float