Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Church Mouth
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Audio CD|Change

on February 8, 2009
I usually waste time and energy by going into full blown, overly descriptive reviews about albums that probably don't get read by most anyway, but I am posting this review in response to the unfair negative response this album is garnering.

No doubt this album is a huge departure from "Vultures", but I am starting to wonder if Portugal fans realize that bands cannot release their favorite album over and over again; save that for the trash that is let onto the radio and TV. Church Mouth has a fuller rock sound than the first album, and at times can remind me of something along the lines of White Stripes or an older school blues sound, but still has the Portugal melodic edge to it. This album plays a lot in the same way the first album did, and each track is incredibly diverse.

"Bellies Are Full" would've sounded at home on 2003's "Elephant" while other tracks would've seemed at home on "Vultures." I can't personally decide which album I like better, and I don't care to decide either. I love both of them for much separate reasons, because I love the band. My favorites on this album would be "Sugar Cinnamon", "Telling Tellers Tell Me", "Shade", "Oh Lord", "Bellies Are Full", "The Bottom". To show the diversity of the disc further, if someone were to tell me that "The Bottom" was the new Arctic Monkeys song, I would believe them and like Arctic Monkeys a heck of a lot more.

All I am asking is to please hold the ignorant reviews towards such an innovative band that deserves more of the lime light, but won't get it because of the absolute disaster the music industry has become. Give this a chance, an extremely enjoyable listen from a band that refuses to stay grounded in one genre, as their now new released album "Censored Colors" took yet another 180 in musical direction, but I'm still on board, and I hope you'll join me.
on August 3, 2007
I'd prefer to save 5 stars for truly exceptional, once-in-a-lifetime albums, but Portugal. The Man's second full-length studio album comes about as close as one can get.

An exceptional sophomoric record, Church Mouth displays the brilliance of tracks like "Elephant" and "Tommy" from their first album with a more bluesy, mature, and complete sound.

As the first reviewer mentions, comparisons with The Mars Volta are no doubt inevitable. I found the EP It's Complicated Being a Wizard more in line with TMV's experimental, atmospheric sound, but said comparisons are not out of place here. I think Portugal is a bit more restrained than anything from Cedric and Omar et al., and it's all more condensed (3 and a half minute songs instead of 12 minutes...) but the analogy holds true.

Overall it's quite good. Can't wait to see them at El Corazon later this month. Definitely their best album to date.
on April 1, 2009
This is, by far, my favorite album at the time. But not only that, Portugal is my favorite artist. Owning all of their albums (both on CDs and Vinyl) I can personally say this one is my favorite so far.
And since it is tip toeing on the ratings of 3.5 stars, hopefully this will give it at least the 4 stars that it rightfully deserves.
To everyone saying this doesn't sound like their previous album (Waiter: You Vultures!), you are right. But that does NOT mean in any way that you should give it a poor rating. Have you even taken the time to listen to each song and the depth in all of them...? It is so so sooo good.
This will be my favorite album for quite sometime, and I can only hope when they release their next one shortly, it will blow 'My Mind' just like Censored Colors did.
on August 6, 2007
This is a revelation. Portugal, the Man, as a band, has a musical balance which is rare, and quite refreshing. Few prog bands manage to put together such a varied and rich musical landscape, without attempting to shock for shock's sake.

I have to take issue with the comparison to the white stripes, though, which is as overrated a band as I can think.

My only problem (and it's a big one) is with the sound engineering on the album, which is absolutely horrendous. I hope that when the band gets the money, they get to remaster the album properly.
on May 10, 2014
This is a deep, ever changing musical masterpiece. Heavier than their other works but still the though provoking , third person lyrics they are known for. Don't know if there is a better band with as many levels presently.
on April 14, 2014
...raw, dirty, reminiscent of zeppelin, laced with haunting falsettos, driving beats, and, on songs like 'Bellies Are Full', some very dirty nasty guitar work. An essential....
on October 3, 2007
The first time I hear this album was when i saw them live a couple of weeks back. (phenomenal live, i might add.)

Church Mouth is a very good follow up album, with a fuller, bluesier sound than Vultures. Different in a sense, with a lot more intricate vocals and a great flow. It reminds me of an old 70's rock band infused with a new age sound, which Portugal pulls off seamlessly, I think.

After a few listens, i can truly say this is a very, very good album, but i still have a soft spot for Vultures...indi
on September 21, 2014
Portugal is the man with a plan and every album sound so different but so awesome. Nothing bad to say, it simply works!
on April 21, 2015
Great stuff. Sorry I missed out on them for so long.
on February 27, 2016
Great condition. Happy to finally have this