Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 8, 2013 6:24:06 AM PDT
Anyone else starting to feel like this series is quickly becoming another Call of Duty? New version every year, DLC expensive as hell (or in this case, figures and sets you buy), and the games "new" content feeling more like an expansion pack than a brand new game.

My son has loved the first two games and I'm sure he's going to be asking about this one. I actually do enjoy playing these with him, but the prices of characters are only going to keep increasing with each new version.

This will be another crazy Christmas!

Posted on Jun 8, 2013 4:36:52 PM PDT
D.Wyn says:
You're telling me, I'm still picking up figures for Giants and I don't think I'll get in the ring for round three.

Posted on Jun 24, 2013 11:05:37 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 24, 2013 11:07:48 PM PDT
MakaiOokami says:
I'll buy the new swap force game but not buying new figures till they go on sale. I was buying 6 figures for like 25 dollars at one point because i hit a really good sale.

If you think Activision does ANYTHING but milk stuff to death... you aren't very bright.

They killed Tony Hawk by spamming him, they're going to kill Call of Duty by spamming it (declassified shows they don't care about quality), they killed Guitar Hero by spamming it, the are going to make as many Transformer games as they can, and if it sells well as many Prototype games as they can.

Activision has been doing this for a long time.

BTW target is doing Skylanders Giants are $30 dollars off if you pay for a $1 dollar reservation card. CASH IN! Get it for any platform you might have wanted to but couldn't justify for your kid while it's super cheap.

Posted on Jul 27, 2013 9:49:23 PM PDT
EturNALlif says:
Hey guys,

I don't know if this will help or if you'll frown against this.

What I did was:

-Buy the figures I wanted to TRY
-KEPT THEM IN THE CASE (and kept receipt)
-Placed them on the portal, and they worked perfectly fine.

Tried out which ones I liked best, and returned the ones I wasn't a fan of.
You know your kids pick and choose the ones they like most, and put aside the ones they don't really like.
This could help YOU out... the one PAYING FOR EVERYTHING! At the end of the day the characters are still pretty pricey, but this could help save You a few bucks.

Try it out.

BUT that won't be the case with these new swap force figures because they... SWAP!
and to do that they need to be open BUT for all other figures THIS WILL WORK!

I HOPE THIS HELPS!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2013 4:33:27 PM PDT
Actually Calling the figures DLC would be highly accurate. The only difference between the figures and the regular dlc is that the figures you can actually physically interact with. So the extra 5 dollars (give or take) you are paying is for the physical form of the product. Either way I will be getting this game lol. Just hope your kid doesn't want disney infinity and this game as well.

Posted on Oct 15, 2013 12:26:17 AM PDT
L says:
If you do buy extra figures keep them in the packaging to be able to resell them for higher value in the future on amazon or any other website of choice. I may wait a few months before i pickup this game.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2013 6:24:54 PM PDT
Mannjon says:
Well I definitely agree with that tactic for the 1st and 2nd games (as long as you don't register any of them online). This was a viable option as just merely putting them on the portal would unlock the Heroic Challenges. You can easily "change ownership" within the game. With the cost of the individual characters being pretty steep, I feel that it is slightly unethical to go that route, but highly justifiable.

I personally am a collector, so I kept them all regardless of how they play in game. But in regard to finding the characters that best suit how you personally like to play, there really is no way to really understand the characters without giving them a fair play-through and getting the abilities. That being said, the best and most ethical approach would of course just be to reset the characters before returning them if you go the said route.

For the 3rd game however, as you have mentioned, you can't really experience them to the fullest without swapping the top/bottoms, which involve actually getting them out of the package.

I feel that Activision should have had some online DLC pack that would allow players to download all the Heroic Challenges and special content without having to purchase all the figures so that players could maximize the characters they liked without buying all the characters they didn't want. But this really only applies to the 1st and 2nd games, as there are no Heroic Challenges that increase stats in Swapforce.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2013 11:34:44 PM PST
I don't understand . . . in the store you can play the characters without even taking them out of the package. Couldn't you do this at home?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2013 11:41:31 AM PST
Mannjon says:
Yes, you most certainly can. However, to some it may be a moral issue. Since the characters have an internal chip that "remembers" all the upgrades, you could theoretically purchase a skylander still in the box that has been "used" and returned to a store. That is why I say that if you are just placing new in the box skylanders on the Portal of Power to unlock features, be kind and don't upgrade them or level them up (I think it is kind of crappy to go this approach anyway).

That being said, since the Swapforce characters create a new character when you combine the different parts of 2 Swapforce characters, the only way to really experience the game at entirety (as well as unlock all of the Swapforce combinations) is to actually purchase the figures, get them out of the box, and swap the interchangeable parts. This only applies to the Swapforce characters though, and specifically only applies to the unique 256 interchangeable combinations by combining Swapforce characters. That is to say that you can still "collect" all skylanders and play them individually without opening a package, but you won't be able to "swap" them unless you do.

Hope that helps.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Jun 8, 2013
Latest post:  Nov 18, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Skylanders SWAP Force Starter Pack - PlayStation 3
Skylanders SWAP Force Starter Pack - PlayStation 3 by Skylanders (PlayStation 3)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (171)