Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Size: No. 4|Change

on August 26, 2010
Well, first off, let me say that I'm happy with this purchase. The cone is solidly constructed and appears to be high-quality. The handle is not "linguini thin" as one reviewer said. It is normal, by my standards (I was pleasantly surprised). It is not made in USA however, as the headline/name suggests. It is a German product. No biggie--still a well-manufactured item.

One reviewer commented that the drain hole is too large, and they get weak coffee. Please look online to see how to make coffee using a filter cone. I've been using filter cones for years (the yucky plastic kind until I got my ceramic cone!) and this is my method: run water through the paper filter first. Put coffee (plenty) into paper filter/cone. Now this is imperative--pour just a tablespoon or two of hot water onto the grounds. Wait. Let the coffee "bloom" for at least 30 seconds. One minute is better. Then slowly pour more water in.

Okay that's my review. Cheers and happy coffee drinking!
2020 comments|324 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 7, 2010
I had a difficult time comparing this to the HIC version that's significantly cheaper. I ended up getting both, and this one is the one I'll keep. I've uploaded some product photos to help others make the comparison.

- Weight and thickness: the HIC is significantly heavier and thicker than the Frieling Cilio. I like the lighter weight of this one.

- Number of drain holes: HIC has three, Frieling Cilio has one larger one. No noticeable difference in draining time.

- Outer diameter of bottom rim: this is the ring that helps keeps the filter holder in place on your carafe. Frieling Cilio has a smaller diameter (2 7/16") vs. HIC (2 3/4"). My carafe opening diameter is also 2 3/4" which makes the HIC very awkward and unsteady. Your carafe needs to have a larger diameter opening than the bottom rim on the filter holder.

Small differences, but they add up. I like the Frieling Cilio much better; it's worth the extra cost.
11 comment|218 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 12, 2011
I bought this after reading the generally favorable reviews and thought I'd come back and address some of the common issues:

1. The drain rate on the No. 2 filter holder (and presumably the rate on the other size holders with one drainage hole)-- I have plastic Melittas with both one and three holes, and both drain at a good rate (not too slow, yet not so fast as to result in weak coffee). This holder has one hole, and the drain rate is the same as my plastic models-- just fine.

2. The holder handle is sufficient for the weight of the holder-- I didn't find it too thin or at all unstable.

3. The box the holder came in screams "Asia", but it has German words on it. Nowhere does it say either "Made in China" nor "Made in Germany". I can only hope that I haven't traded my BPAs for a lead glaze. :)

4. Because porcelain is more slippery than plastic, the filters don't stay put so well in the holder despite the inside ridges. This isn't really a problem, and the filter drops to the bottom once you put the coffee in.

5. My holder had no deformities or glaze imperfections.

I miss being able to "tap-tap-tap" the plastic holder on the top of my coffee cup to get the coffee back into the center of it after having one cup. I always add a little more coffee and use the filter again for my second cup. I can't do this with porcelain because of the break-factor. The holder is also more slippery on the top of certain cups. All in all I think it's still worth it, assuming this thing is made with food-safe glaze.

Bonus! I bought the No.2 size holder to make single cups, but I learned long ago to buy (Melitta) #4 filters for the No. 2 holder. These stick up over the top and are easier to handle and also absorb a little of the water and prevent some spillage of grounds into your cup if you get careless or overzealous pouring. The base size is the same as the #2 filter-- they're just taller.
77 comments|66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 5, 2013
When I received this item, I was a bit puzzled as it had 4 holes and a sticker on the bottom that said "HIC China". Some research shows that what I received was actually the HIC Porcelain Filter Cone which is available through Amazon for $2 or $3 less than this item. What I received looks well make and I feel it will do a good enough job but looking at other recent reviews of the Cilio Cone, I think others are also receiving the wrong item as they are describing a cup made in China with 4 holes instead of 1 hole. Maybe they just haven't figured out yet they were sent the wrong item. I feel bad about the one star rating but I think it important to grab perspective buyer's attention that they may not get what they are ordering. The HIC brand may well be fine but order it on it's page and save $2 or $3.

EDIT to add: The box this holder was packed in was marked with the brand Cillo but the sticker on the holder itself said "HIC".
33 comments|41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 27, 2009
I bought size six and LOVE it. Just what I needed. I wanted to get away from heated plastic. And this is just the ticket. It's hard porcelain. Shiny and white. Makes great coffee with a number 6 paper filter. Yes, yes. You must use a paper filter. But paper is not plastic; and I was trying to get away from plastic. Great product.
11 comment|69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon March 18, 2011
I got tired of replacing the Mr. Coffee coffee makers I would buy every 4 years when they broke, and went looking for something that was easy to use, never broke, was easy to clean, and had no plastic to leach chemicals into my hot coffee. This is it.

It's well made, has not given me any problems, and makes the best cup of coffee. It is to be used with a paper cone filter. It hols the filter, but doesn't replace a filter.

First, which size should you choose? Multiply the "number" by 4 and that's about how many ounces of coffee you can make at one time. #4 makes about 16 ounces. You can make less of course, but note that the #6 is going to be very big and much heavier than the #4. Also note that the #6 filters aren't everywhere like the #2 and #4. However, you CAN put a smaller paper filter in, though the capacity will be that of the smaller filter. So you can buy a #6 and put in a #2 filter and make 8 ounces of coffee.

Now, how is it that your local coffee shop's coffee is so much better than yours at home? Here are the secrets that they use but you don't. First, they grind their coffee a little courser than you would. Second, they use a lot of coffee per cup: 1.5 scoops. But the thing that really stands out is the fact that their filters are HUGE, so the water sits in the grounds for a lot longer than your Mr. Coffee and that pulls a lot more flavor out.

So how can you get exactly the same results? Here's how I do it. It sounds complicated but it's very easy and very fast. And you can buy fairly inexpensive coffee and it still tastes great.

Use 1.25 scoops per # of your filter. #4 filter: 4 x 1.25 = 5 scoops. Grind it coarser than you should for a cone filter, by about a full number on the grinder. But grind it into a pyrex measuring cup or other heat safe, pourable container.

Heat up the water in a pan or teakettle on the stove (you can start heating the water before you grind the coffee so that the water is heating while you are measuring and grinding). For me that means filling the mug nearly full of water, pouring it into a pan and heating the pan on the stove. When it boils take it off. Water boils at 212 degrees, but the ideal coffee brewing temperature is 190-195. So I run it under a cold water tap for about a half second to bring the boiling water temperature down to ideal coffee brewing temperature..

Next pour some of the water from the pan into the pyrex with the coffee in it, filling the pyrex about 2/3 full. If you still have water left over, put the pan back on the stove and cover it.

Note that you could do it in reverse using a microwave: put the water with no coffee in the pyrex and heat it in the microwave, then add a dash of cold water when it boils and finally add the coffee. The problem with doing it this way is that the container might get too hot to be comfortable. If you use a pan to heat up the water, that won't happen.

Next, take a chopstick or other wooden utensil and stir the coffee in the pyrex with the water until the top is smooth and has no clumps.

Put the holder over your container (I put it right on top of my mug) and put a paper filter in the holder. Pour the coffee mixture from the pyrex into the filter, as soon as you can after you finish stirring the lumps out of it. If there is more water left in the pan, pour it into the pyrex and carefully (so you don't burn yourself), swirl it around to pick up any remaining coffee grounds and pour it into the filter, being careful not to overflow the filter.

Now you are ready to walk away and let it drip. At this point, I clean the chopstick and the pyrex.

When you can no longer see a pool of water in the coffee filter, it's ready to add cream, sugar, etc and drink. It's every bit as good as coffee you get in a coffee shop.
44 comments|69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 20, 2013
According to the seller, "Cilio is a fine German brand headquartered in the famous steel town of Solingen." However this product is actually manufactured in China. The product description is deceptive. Do not buy, as it is cheaply made.
on July 14, 2013
I wanted to like it, but I must have an exception based on the reviews for this product. Mine came missing a section of glazing about 2" long and 1/4" wide on the inside of the top. Sending back, not sure if I will try my luck on another. For this vendor replacement is not an option, would have to order again.
on December 22, 2013
I purchased two of these in the past month or so from Amazon and another one about 3 years ago. The unit I received 3 years prior was made by Cilio in Germany and has one opening. The unit is stamped Cilio.

The two units I received in November and December in 2013 are not Cilio. When I opened the box, the label on the units both said HIC, and made in China. These units have 3 holes in them and can be purchased for less than what the Cilio cones sell for on Amazon. Again: I am not sure if Cilio is now selling the HIC cone as their own or Amazon mixed up these things. All I can say is that it's quite misleading because they are selling the same item under two different names at different price points.

That said, I do not like the function of the HIC units because they drip way too fast compared to the Cilio units. I have to plug two of the the holes with bits of torn up filters to prevent the water from almost instantly passing through and making some weak coffee. I also like the lighter weight of the Cilio unit.

Additionally the unit I received in December was broken in transit. The cone is in its own cardboard box, and they put that in a bigger Amazon box without any additional cushioning.

The unit I bought a couple years ago gets five stars. The two I bought recently get zero if I could.
on November 2, 2011
First of all, this is a solid filter cone that makes excellent coffee. However, if you're accustomed to using a plastic Melitta model, you may need to experiment a bit to get the best coffee out of this cone. Here are a few tips that have worked for me:

1. This cone is made from heavy porcelain, and you need to warm it up before you use it. It's easy to do this just by pouring some hot water through the cone and filter before you use it. This serves a dual purpose of washing any paper taste out of the filter.

2. The bottom of this cone is more narrow than standard #2 Melitta filters, which I think is why some people find that the cone drains too quickly. The Melitta filters don't really fit it very well. To get a proper fit, you need to also get European paper filters, such as those made by Filtropa. Don't worry, they're about the same price as the Melitta paper filters.

3. If you try the #2 Filtropa paper filters, which are more narrow at the bottom, you'll find that the cone drains much more slowly. To compensate for this, I had to start grinding my coffee a bit more course to get the cone to drain properly.

If you try some of these tips and experiment on your own, I think you'll find that the Cilio cone makes an excellent cup of coffee, perhaps better than what you can get from a Melitta cone.