4.0 out of 5 stars It's Captivating and Enchanting
Like one of the other reviewers, I rented this from the library for my daughter and I to view. No, it's not the original and it's does lack much of the creativity of the original, but my daughter and even her older brother find the mice telling a story enchanting and captivating.
Published on December 28, 2005 by Barbara J. French

2.0 out of 5 stars Tales From Cinderella's Castle
Published on February 27, 2002 by Monty Moonlight

2.0 out of 5 stars Tales From Cinderella's Castle, February 27, 2002
Monty Moonlight (Austin, TX, U.S.A.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I've often said that Cinderella 2's biggest problem, when you get beyond the fact that it was clearly made purely for kids and is really just another form of princess "merchandise," is that it was falsely advertised to increase sales. Disney does that quite often with their direct-to-video releases, and it makes it difficult to distinguish the good ones from the bad before buying or renting. And, make no mistake, Disney DOES make some very good direct-to-video releases. Cinderella 3, for example, is an excellent film. Cinderella 2... not so much. It's the title that's the biggest problem for the consumer though. "Cinderella 2: Dreams Come True" implies some grand, feature-length sequel to the classic Disney film. In fact, that is nothing like what you actually get here. Again, for something like that, I recommend "Cinderella 3: A Twist In Time." Cinderella 2 would have been better titled "Mouse Mouse Tales" or "Tales From Cinderella's Castle." See, that's all it really is. It's three tales from the mice that were Cinderella's best friends since before she became a princess.

In truth, the stories really aren't that bad. Okay, the first one is kinda weak, and it's the one that is the most about Cindy herself, but the other two are pretty interesting. The stories are introduced by the mice and the Fairy Godmother as they work to make a gift for Cinderella, a book she can read to them about their first experiences after moving into the castle. Something I found a bit odd in these sequences was how these storybook-period characters had access to Crayolas and number-two pencils. The first tale is about Cinderella struggling to do things right in the castle in preparation for a ball and finally realizing she must do things "her" way. The Second story is about Jaq the mouse making a wish to be a human so that he can be more helpful to Cinderella. Of course, by the end of the story, he learns that he's better off being a mouse. In the third story, Cinderella plays matchmaker for her apparently not so bad stepsister, Anastasia. Anastasia has fallen in love with the village baker, and he with her. It's probably the best story, but in the sad tradition of Shrek and OTHER films, in teaching its moral it also teaches that unattractive people belong with unattractive people, and beautiful people with beautiful people. I'll jump for joy when one of these films gets the anti-superficiality statement right! Oh, and Lucifer the cat makes a deal with the mice to help him win the heart of Pom Pom, the palace feline. Naturally, that doesn't work out.

While the film is watchable, depending of course on how much you love animation and how much quality is necessary in said medium to hold your interest, it all feels like a long episode of an animated series aimed at a very young, female crowd. The songs are atrocious. They're not good and they don't fit! The voices don't do much to recall those in the original film, especially Cinderella's and the Fairy Godmother's. The mice are fine but speak too clearly in comparison to the original film. Cinderella is out of character at times (seems more like the more recent Disney princesses), and the film does nothing to help us get to know Prince Charming more. As for the animation, well, while the characters are recognizable, they are extremely flat and without style. It all basically looks like TV animation. Sometimes good TV animation, sometimes bad TV animation. Overall, it's a cheap Cinderella experience to recruit younger consumers and maybe provide a little enjoyment for those fans of the original that aren't too particular about quality or substance. "Cinderella 2: Dreams Come True" isn't without its entertainment value, especially for small girls or fans of Cindy's mice, and surely it's a must for the completist collector, but if you're looking for something really good to compliment the original, go for "Cinderella 3: A Twist In Time." It's not perfect, and the very first moments might make you worry, but if you give it time, you'll find it to be a wonderful experience. Cinderella 3 succeeds nearly everywhere that Cinderella 2 fails.

As for the extras on Cinderella 2, they're nothing to write home about. There's a simple game that basically lets you experience what it's like to be Cinderella. You have to clean up parts of the castle. It's actually kinda fun, but I can't imagine playing it more than once. There's a DVD-Rom activity called "Cinderella's Doll House Game," but I don't bother with DVD-Rom stuff. You also get a music video of one of the horrible songs set to clips from the film and a featurette on the film's awful music. Finally, there's a pretty lame Cinderella story that you can have read to you or read by yourself. Yeah, the extras are pretty awful on this DVD. Still, as I said, it's okay if you just have a Cinderella fanatic in your home that doesn't require everything to be feature film quality. If you ever had the desire for a Cinderella animated series, this might be welcome in your DVD collection. Myself, I am a Disney fanatic, and I love their gorgeous princesses, so owning this is simply a must, even if it is disappointing on many levels.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's Captivating and Enchanting, December 28, 2005

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreams didn't come true..., February 23, 2002
R. Tan (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Why haven't the Disney people learned to improve the storyline of all their sequels? Even though it is not a long featured cartoon demanding drawing that is not very detailed, that we can tolerate. But Cinderella doesn't look like the original classic at all!
If Peter Pan II is going follow its example, I am never going to believe the Disney's people again!! Fans over the world have paid their price and it's time for sequels writers to get their act together.

1.0 out of 5 stars Shame on Disney!, February 27, 2002
By A Customer
Let's put it this way: My three year old has watched the original Cinderella about a thousand times. My three year old asked me to turn off Cinderella II half way through -- and told me to get my money back! Does no one at Disney have any imagination left at all?

1.0 out of 5 stars AWFUL!, February 14, 2002
Sandra Dee and Family, (Seattle, United States of America) - See all my reviews
Have just watched this with my two children 4 and 7 and they were bored - it's unimaginative and an insult to people like my Grandfather who worked on the original. What a waste of money. Thank's for yet another rubbish title to collect dust in our homes. I'm very annoyed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cinderella II : NIGHTMARES come true, February 14, 2002
I love Disney and generally enjoy their sequel films - Toy Story 2, Rescuers Down Under, Scamp's Adventure, etc. but really dislike the lack of imagination and care shown in this feature.
The animation looks like cheap Cartoon Network tripe and the songs are the worst ever. I never thought I would dislike a film this much!
The extras are very weak and Cinderella has a voice of a teen cheerleader from a sickly 80's film.
Children will be insulted - adults will neither find anything to enjoy except for the trailer which shows the classic, true Disney, film Beauty and the Beast will be on DVD this year.
Considering it on your DVD shelf? Bibidy Bobity DON'T!

2.0 out of 5 stars Blargh, July 19, 2004
Kindle Customer "Nemi" (Oro Valley, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
Another one?
I saw this on Disney's cartoon channel. (Toon Disney?) And I was so very glad I had not invested any money in purchasing or renting it. It felt cheap, corny, and just wrong. Why did this film need to be *made*?
The film was really three different stories - and I felt that each one added very little to the Cinderella story at all. The fairy godmother is just now apparently everyone's fairy godmother. Even the mouse!
While some younger girls I know liked the film, they agreed it wasn't up to the standard of the orginal stories. Frankly, Walt Disney would be sick. Why he isn't haunting the heck out of the company's higher-ups, I'll never know.
Don't bother with this one.

1.0 out of 5 stars The WORST Disney sequel I have bought, March 6, 2002
susu_22 (American Fork, UT United States) - See all my reviews
Ok, I love Disney movies. And the original Cinderella was a romantic, timeless classic. As a little girl, I secretly yearned for my own Prince Charming to live in a grand castle with. That is how absorbing and wonderful Cinderella was to me. So I figured while the sequel would not be excellence in film making, I thought it would at least be good. After all, the original was fantastic, and this is Disney! Boy, was I wrong!
As the other reviewers stated, this is actually 3 stories in one, rather than one long story. That said, the first two stories were awful, and the last was mediocre. The singing...UGHHHHHH!! What were they thinking. I have to say, in the first story, after Cinderella decides to do everything "her own way," the high notes sung in the subsequent scenes were enough to make little dogs cringe in pain. Sorry Disney.
I really expected much more out of this and was sorely disappointed. All other Disney sequels were not THIS bad and I hope Disney does not plan on releasing similiar bad sequels. As it is, I want my money back on this one! Now I am just looking forward to purchasing Beauty and the Beast sometime this November.
If Disney decides to produce any more sequels of this quality, I certainly will stop buying.

1.0 out of 5 stars I don't know..., July 12, 2004
Which was a bigger crime against childhood: Making this movie at all, or deciding to charge $26 for it
The movie, if you can call it that, is actually a series of vignettes told by the mice of all people. Only one is specifically about Cinderella, one is mainly about Jaque the mouse, and one is about Anastasia the formerly evil stepsister.
The one about Cinderella is first and within the first 3 minutes, Prince Charming leaves on business, leaving Cinderella to the "domestic" task of planning some party with some crabby lady who's always done it before to teach her how things are done in the palace. Cinderella is completely unable to take on the "princess role" grows tired of this and decides to do it her own way, which is of course infinitely more fun than the royal way.
In the second the fairy godmother (who apparently grants wishes to mice now) turns Jaques into a human because he wants to be able to help her. He is, of course, still afraid of PomPom the castle cat. Turns out he likes being a mouse. Then there is this totally contrived situation where the king is clinging to a rampaging elephant that can only be stopped by, you guessed it, a mouse. Jaques is turned back into a mouse and saves the day.
The third short is about Anastasia who falls in love with the baker. Stepmother hates this of course, but with two or three words of encouragement Anastasia stands up to mom and invites the Baker to the ball.
I understand the desire to have Cinderella do something other than get rescued by falling in love with a prince, but geez, put an ounce of effort into it!
The "plot" in this "movie" is the only thing worse than the animation, which is not any better than the original Cinderella, and might in fact be worse.
I know, I'm an adult, and clearly not the target market for this "movie". My daughter is though. This is the child that sat through all of Monsters Inc at age 16 months, not to mention all the other original disney flicks. She's 3 now, and even 1 week after a trip to Disneyland, which solidified her obsession with Cinderella, she loses interest in the movie after 30-40 minutes.
If your little one MUST see it, rent it from Blockbuster for $1. Or better yet, from the library for FREE. Don't waste hard earned cash on this junk.

1.0 out of 5 stars Title is Misleading...., March 9, 2002
I really looked forward to this, thinking hey, it's a sequel to Cinderella! Wow! However, the title is misleading. What you get in this video is a series of three 'what-if' stories composed by Cinderella's mouse friends. With some `Tom and Jerry' cat and mouse style scenes thrown in.
The first two tales are marginal at best. The third story had promise but fell flat... There is simply too little time to explore the growing relationship between one of Cindy's evil `stepsister ' and the town baker, but this story was at least cute and intriguing.
The animation was defiantly B-Grade, and Cinderella's outdated 'do' is only out-matched by the plastic-like prince who has about four lines in the entire cartoon.
If I could suggest improvements, I would have expanded the third story, to make it a major subplot and TRULY explored the life of Cinderella after marriage. What's it like being married to `Prince Charming'? Is there any conflict? How does Cinderella reconcile her differences with her `evil' stepmother and stepsisters? Is being `beautiful' and `nice' enough to rule the kingdom, or does Cindy have to develop new skills, such as leadership, determination and political skills?

Cinderella II: Dreams Come True (Special Edition)
Used & New from: $4.94