Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 77 reviews(3 star). Show all reviews
on November 25, 2005
I looked forward to this DVD release for months and snagged a copy the first day it was available. My excitement turned to dismay, however, as I began to watch it. From the moment the birds open the curtains to reveal Cinderella in her bed, it became painfully obvious that Disney truly had "enhanced" the picture to within an inch of its life. Instead of restoring this beloved classic film, the images have been changed; this is NOT Cinderella as she was first seen in 1950. Just to make sure I wasn't mistaken, I did a comparison between my parents VHS tape (the original video release) and the DVD. True, the picture on the DVD was much sharper and the sound was crystal clear, but Cinderella's hair was NEVER that color of yellow, and lines that were part of the original animators drawings, faithfully inked and painted onto the original cells, are no longer visible. For instance, right at the beginning of the film, when Cinderella turns over in her bed to shut out the sun, there were originally clearly drawn/inked lines in her blanket to show the drapery of the fabric. Those lines, obvious in the VHS version, are now only visible if you zoom in on them. Similar editorial decisions on the part of the DVD authors are evident throughout the film, though they decrease in frequency as the film progresses. It could be said these changes don't matter much, but they truly affect the look of the film. I often found myself thinking it looked like a Scooby-Doo cartoon, a far cry from any Disney classic. Although I understand that Disney owns this intellectual property in the legal sense, I don't understand why the've chosen to disrespect that very property, especially in light of their excellent work on Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Bambi, etc. Hopefully, this is an anomaly and Disney won't continue to offer us disfigured films.
2222 comments|378 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 3, 2013
Flawed transfer is not as magical as it could have been. While this HD-transfer for blu-ray is decent looking when viewed in isolation, there is a huge loss of details and shift in colors when compared to even a VHS copy. That is not how it should be, and it is a shame Disney did a lazy job with this blu-ray, but if you love Cindarella, it is still a great movie.
on December 20, 2012
My boys like the movie fairly well, but I think most people reading this know weather they want the actual movie or not.

As far as the BD is concerned, I wasn't too impressed. These old Disney films are in 4:3 ratio and the original audio quality doesn't get much benefit from HD sound. For the extra price you pay for the Disney films, I had hoped that there would be some improvements, but I guess it's just the get-it-before-it-goes-back-into-the-vault price - that really annoys me. I want my kids to have the Disney movies, but I think I might stick to DVD's for pre-90's movies from now on.
on August 8, 2014
This particular blu ray edition is okay, but it's nowhere near the quality of the Sleeping Beauty blu ray set from a few years back. In comparison, Cinderella lacks in both picture quality and depth of extras. Could they really not find a way to provide a commentary track or a feature about the Cinderella castle in Orlando? I guess Sleeping Beauty spoiled me and made me expect more than this. Seriously, the second disc is worthless to me.
on June 2, 2016
I was disappointed with the version of Cinderella which I received. Having been a long time fan of Disney movies, this version seemed to have about 20 to 25% of the original movie appears to be missing.

The scenes where the mice are singing about Cinderella’s demanding life and where she meets the prince prior to meeting him at the ball.
on May 6, 2013
I dislike that it was not snug in the package. It also was clanging around in the case.I have never before received an order when all but one of 4 was actually as described.I am unsure if this was original,considering the wrap was not normal with all the "its new" lables etc on it to show you it has never been used or opened. Like the others,I have not had time yet to see if this is scratched. Gosh,I hope not.
on October 18, 2014
If it ain't broke don't fix it. This movie was trasfered very poorly from the original film. It looks washed out and lacking in finer details compared to the older VHS release. It's a classic and nice to have for my kids to watch. But it doesn't look near as good as it should.
on December 21, 2012
Disney promises to give you a crisp remastering of these classic movies. The sound is the best it's ever been and there are always behind the scenes extras with animators or producers. I'd like to see the Disney Dali movie out on Blu-Ray as part of an Extra or something phenomenal, ty
on January 5, 2014
As others have mentioned, "Cinderella" was an attempt by Disney Studios to regain their former glory as an animation giant. There was, of course, "The Three Caballeros" and "The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad," but [possibly due in part to WWII] it had been eight years since Disney really made a serious and noteworthy animated film ("Bambi" in 1942). While it contains some lovely artwork, fine animation, and a couple of memorable songs, personally I don't think it ranks with their best efforts. It tries very hard to be both cute and meaningful, and I enjoyed it a lot more as a kid. However, I don't think it was until "Alice in Wonderland" that Disney truly recaptured its old magic. It was then followed by "Peter Pan," "Lady and the Tramp" and finally "Sleeping Beauty," which brought the decade to a triumphant conclusion. Perhaps "Cinderella" was a good and necessary first step for Disney Studios to get itself back on track, and in that regard, it was an important film in their history.
on January 31, 2013
I had this on DVD and decided to buy the Kindle version as well. Unfortunately the Kindle version doesn't have the French soundtrack that I enjoyed and continue to enjoy on the DVD. Amazon should let buyer's know that what they're getting for the kindle will be missing features available on the DVD version.