5.0 out of 5 stars Paul Potts - Cinema Paradiso
Published on March 7, 2012 by theregencyinkwell

I REALLY like Paul Potts, even though his first two CDs didn't break any new ground in choice of songs (they've all been COMPLETELY overdone by every new classical crossover artist in creation), he did them well, with obvious heart and passion.

Published on February 16, 2011 by Coltbear - A Music Fan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars The results of a TRUE artist not listening to his own voice..., February 16, 2011
This review is from: Cinema Paradiso (Audio CD)

I didn't know he even had a new CD out, and was excited that it contained some of my favorite movie themes (one of my favorite genres), and listened to the samples. What I heard was actually painful to listen to, even though they lasted only 30-seconds. Paul is trying way too hard on these timeless songs, sounding completely out-of-place (and voice) singing them, instead of relaxing, being himself and letting that remarkable voice of his comfortably and naturally inhabit them without any pretense or affectation as he could (and should) have done.

Instead, his overly melodramatic approach, forced-sounding accents (his own is VERY fine and completely suited for these songs, thank you), and phrasing in virtually every song comes across as well, unnatural and completely unlike himself.

Where favorite artists are concerned (Paul included), I look forward to and am normally thrilled with each new release and purchase them without even hearing them. Sad to say, I'm glad I listened to samples of this before buying, and from those alone, know that I wouldn't even want this in my collection, as it is a let down... not only to me, but to many of Paul's fans around the world.

A true lover of music (listener or artist), can ALWAYS tell when the music or vocal is from the heart. Paul is the epitome and living proof of that statement, and his last two releases are vocal testaments to its truth. With this release, I can't believe that Paul himself chose not to sing from his, which leaves the producers responsible for the final result. I can only hope that with his next release(s), he will ALWAYS trust his own instincts (and voice), and follow his heart.

THAT will be the Paul Potts I'll follow with mine and listen to over and over and over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Paul Potts - Cinema Paradiso, March 7, 2012
This review is from: Cinema Paradiso (Audio CD)
Hello, I just heard the samples curious because one commenter said Paul sounded uptight. Well I thought everything sounded great. I did not get the sense that Paul was trying to be melodramatic. If you watch him sing, he tries to moves his hands but without success and I think it is because he is overly shy, but when he sings you get the powerhouse voice of his. Please listen for yourself and do not let someone else's written comments convince you of otherwise unless after you hear it you feel the same way.

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointed too, December 5, 2010
Ms Bello (el dorado hills, ca USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cinema Paradiso (Audio CD)
Have to agree with the other reviewer. I did not like the arrangements and none of the songs stood out, except the one he did as a duet with Yvie Burnett ( Up where we belong). His phrasing in Italian was almost painful to listen too.

3.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps Paul should have stayed with Simon Cowell, November 30, 2010
This review is from: Cinema Paradiso (Audio CD)
I'm a BIG fan, but I'm disappointed in "Cinema Paradiso". The first CD, "One Chance" was Great! I'd give it a 10! The second one, "Passione", was also very good, and I'd give it a 9. But, I can only give the "Cinema Paradiso" a 5. It's not bad, but not up to the standard of the first two. The arrangements seem bit weak, and do not showcase the talent that Paul Potts is capable of, and none of the tracks stand out as exceptional. Perhaps Paul should have stayed with Simon Cowell.

5.0 out of 5 stars Such Passion, November 25, 2011
ccw "ccw" (White Mountains) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cinema Paradiso (Audio CD)
I have known no other voice to bring chills each time like I feel when hearing Paul Potts. His soul is clinging to his voice. I love that he is moving out to contemporary music. Potts could make "You are My Sunshine" sound like the voice of angels. For an exceptional, emotional experience--listen to this man--again and again. Catch him on Youtube, buy his music, invite Paul Potts into your home. ccw

5.0 out of 5 stars Another hit for Mr. Potts, January 16, 2011
This review is from: Cinema Paradiso (Audio CD)
I love the choice in songs. Another wonderful CD from Paul Potts. I am a real fan and would like to see more of him....wish he would tour in the United States, and especially in Southern California.

3.0 out of 5 stars Heavenly voice, bad production, September 14, 2012
G. Kroener (Bamberg, Bavaria Germany) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cinema Paradiso (Audio CD)
I am a huge fan of film scores, and was so excited when it came to my attention that Paul Potts recorded an album with movie songs. And even though some people complain about the obvious choices of songs, they are classics, and always warrant a re-recording.

That Paul Potts has a good voice is, hopefully, beyond discussion.
However, when listening to these songs, I found that they lack heart and soul, and only a small amount of blame should be placed on Paul. The significant mistakes were made in the technical departments. The arrangements are fine. However, the mixing and the orchestrations are beyond out of place. The orchestrations are flat, have been pop-ified, there is no trace of individuality in any of these songs. I do realise that it was obviously meant as a cross-over, but hearing songs like What A Wonderful World with epic strings, with so much wet reverb that they almost drown is no fun.
The orchestrations are always the same, high epic violins, droning french horns ... it gets on your nerves very quickly.

At times, you may feel like listening to a male version of Enya.

Paul needs a good orchestrator, a more natural mix, and many problems would be solved. His voice deserves better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Paul Potts Singing Movie Classics, April 20, 2013
This review is from: Cinema Paradiso (Audio CD)
There is something very soothing about Paul Potts voice whether he is singing in English or Italian. A delightful presentation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good, January 26, 2013
This review is from: Cinema Paradiso (Audio CD)
I really enjoy the voice and music of Paul's CD's. My only disappointment in this one was the choice of songs, I did not care for a couple of the choices and there is one with a female singer (and I can't remember the title) that I have to skip as her voice does not appeal to me. However, I like following his career and will continue to buy anything he has done.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just what I expected, April 1, 2011
This review is from: Cinema Paradiso (Audio CD)
As with Paul Potts previous two cd's, I found this one great listening. I have played it many times and I cannot wait for his next one. Thanks Paul !!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Cinema Paradiso
Cinema Paradiso by Paul Potts (Audio CD - 2010)
Rate and Discover Movies