on March 7, 2013
For those on a bit of a time limit, I'll leave a brief list of Pros vs. Cons, and a detailed review afterwards.

Pros:
- Improved control functionality in some games, mainly action titles
- Grips on the sides keep the hands from cramping up anymore
- Extra triggers prove to be far more handy than anticipated
- Adds another Circle Pad for greater control
- VERY good battery life (requires 1 AAA every once in a while)
- Goes in standby mode after 5 minutes of not being used to conserve battery
- Region free!

Cons:
- Shipping costs because it's an import
- Shipping times
- Small selection of titles that use it
- Requires some breaking in to make the analog a bit more comfortable
- The added weight could bother some, but I personally like my devices to have some weight to them so this is a plus for me

I'm a big action gamer, so when I picked up my 3DS XL, the first game I got was Metal Gear Solid 3D. I noticed that it had the option for a Circle Pad Pro attachment so every time I would buy a new game, I'd see if it also had that functionality. I ended up having three games that use it; aforementioned Metal Gear Solid 3D, Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance, and Resident Evil Revelations all of which are quite good (MGS has some framerate issues at times, but almost never during actual gameplay). Having played these titles quite a bit, I decided it was time to move on from using the face buttons as camera movement and pick up a Circle Pad Pro.

Now unfortunately, for whatever reason Nintendo hasn't localized the Circle Pad Pro XL to North America and I hadn't realized this when I bought my XL; I have somewhat large hands and the standard 3DS model cramps up my hands like nobody's business. This means that the CPP XL has to be imported, and shipping costs can hurt the wallet a bit more than anticipated. So on top of the 20$ the unit costs alone, I had to throw an extra 10$ shipping to boot. I understand that to some people, the purchase isn't entirely worth it since not many games use it. However I can't express enough how much better Resident Evil feels with another analog stick and two sets of trigger buttons.

So if you're willing to deal with the shipping costs and time as well as the small selection of compatible games, you'll have one more thing to deal with. When I received mine I got a little excited and immediately slapped it on. The first thing I noticed was that the analog was a little stiff and if moved in just the right direction, it would make some crunchy sounds, like there was something inside of it. This was immediately a red flag, but I moved it around a whole lot and did everything I could to break it in hoping to alleviate the problem and so far seems to have worked.

So overall, if you're patient enough to deal with the price, the shipping times, a little bit of breaking in, and the small selection of games, it really does offer greatly improved functionality in the games that use it (aside from Kid Icarus, from which I understand uses it for left-handed mode) and is worth the purchase in my opinion.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 15, 2013
I decided to import the CPP from Japan to go with my US 3DS XL and I'm glad I did. It works perfectly with the domestic 3DS XL and really makes playing MGS3 so much better. The CPP is surprisingly light, and while it does add a lot of bulk to the already large XL it feels great in hand. I wish more games supported this accessory.
on April 23, 2013
First off do NOT buy these from Amazon until they are going for $20. They are now available on Nintendo of America's website so you no longer need to import.

Now on to my impressions of the actual CPP XL (circle pad pro). For games that support it, it works great. I only have Resident Evil but it changes how you play the whole game and makes it infinitely better! This thing is HUGE but it feels good in your hands and makes it close to the size of an Xbox 360 controller. Feels solid too, the second circle pad feels just like the one on the system and all the buttons (it adds three) are super responsive.

The negatives, however, may turn a lot of people off. Possibly the worst thing is that when playing a game that doesn't support it, you pretty much have to take it off. It's extremely awkward to reach the R button and in a complete bonehead move the CPP doesn't work on games that don't support it. And I mean it doesn't work with them AT ALL. Obviously the second circle pad doesn't work but oddly neither does the additional R button that's added. One of the reasons I bought this (yes I should have done more research) was to use it as a "grip" and make holding the 3DS XL more comfortable, but because playing games that don't support it is so awkward that use is out the window.

Just as annoying is the fact that instead of drawing power from the 3DS, it actually requires one AAA battery. Yes it's only one but it's still annoying. Even worse is that it completely blocks the stylus! That means you either need a spare one or just keep yours out all the time.

It's a decent, solid piece of hardware but it's enjoyment is significantly hurt by several bonehead moves.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 22, 2013
Since I was planning on picking up a 3DS XL and monster hunter, figured I would splurge and pick this guy up. I think it's worth the 20 dollars if you plan on playing Monster Hunter or Kingdom Hearts: DDD, since you will get the most out of it. Other games are supported (Like MGS 3), but most are easy enough to control and you won't really be playing them long enough to get the most out of the circle pad.

Seeing as the next Monster Hunter is coming out on 3DS exclusively and with a chance of it coming out here, the device is going to have a long lasting appeal if you are into the Monster Hunter franchise. Since I'm speaking of Monster Hunter, the right stick controls the camera and the back two buttons can be set up to be the L/R buttons, Left/Right on the D-pad, and Up/Down on the D-pad.

The back of the device is slightly curved for extended gaming sessions and feels more comfortable if you have bigger hands. Also, if you have any case that clicks on the bottom (i.e. the Monster Hunter 3 one) you have to take it off to attach the circle pad pro to the 3DS. The power port, headphone jack and volume slider all have a space open as to not block it off while having it on.
If you are planning on playing Monster Hunter 3u/4 at all in the future I recommend getting this pad. Also recommend it if you are planning on buying any other (Confirmed Games) and want an easier camera to control. It also makes longer gaming sessions easier on your hands.

Positive:
* Makes Monster Hunter much easier to play
* Better for longer gaming sessions
* Locks-in without the 3DS moving around
* Replaces back buttons with triggers
review image review image
on April 23, 2013
I bought the Circle Pad Pro, because Kingdom Hearts 3D Dream Drop Distance can be used with the Circle Pad Pro.

Before you buy the Circle Pad Pro for your 3DS XL, consider the following:
1) The Circle Pad Pro requires a AA battery. The AA battery lid, at least to me, is a pain because you there's a screw you need to take off. I find this unusual, as the 3DS XL should provide enough weight and pressure to keep the AA battery lid in place. The AA battery is required, because the Circle Pad Pro uses the 3DS XL's rear sensor to communicate with the 3DS XL.

2) The Circle Pad Pro doubles the weight of your 3DS XL.

3) With the Circle Pad Pro in place, you cannot access the 3DS XL's WiFi switch and cannot change games on the fly. You'll have to remove the 3DS XL to do either of those. I personally find the blocked access to the game cartridge a plus, as the Circle Pad Pro prevents a 3DS game from slipping out when I have the 3DS XL in my bag. Very nice, at least to me, especially when you have a 3DS game paused before you can get to a save point.

To summarize, I would only get the Circle Pad Pro if you bought a 3DS game that bought the Circle Pad Pro.
on December 2, 2014
The Circle Pad Pro LL is great accessory for players who enjoy Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. Outside of this, it probably won't be worth your money.

The japanese Circle Pad Pro LL is an accessory that also works for North American systems. It takes a single AAA battery and requires a flat-head screwdriver to get to it. The accessory simply outputs an IR signal when a button is pressed, and the 3DS picks it up. This means that if the 3DS is not attached but the button is pressed, battery life is still being consumed, so be careful about where you put it. As long as you don't leave the buttons pressed up against something when you store it, the battery should last a while.

The accessory adds 3 buttons and a circle pad to the 3DS XL, but it pretty much blocks the L/R buttons on the 3DS, so a net gain of 1 button and 1 circle pad. When the 3DS is put in the cradle, it would be very hard to accidentally knock it out if you dropped it. It is nestled in pretty well. Pressing all the additional buttons feels very natural and the ergonomics feel great.

The problems with the Circle Pad Pro LL are in its form. The accessory is rather large, you'd have to be wearing cargo pants to carry this thing around with you. The idea of "portability" is lost if you plan on using this accessory on the go unless you take a bag with you. The accessory's size and shape also cause a problem for the 3DS's accessibility. When using the Circle Pad Pro LL, You no longer have access to the stylus or game card, you have to remove the system to access them. I imagine this would be a hassle for games like Kid Icarus: Uprising which use the stylus often. The headphone jack is still accessible though.

Also, the accessory does not have much support, only a handful of games make any use of the Circle Pad Pro LL. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is the game that makes the most use of the accessory, as it adds a lot to the game to have a second circle pad. In fact, I don't recommend playing the 3DS version of MH3U without the Circle Pad Pro LL, as it is unnecessarily more difficult without it. Other games that support the accessory are:

Dynasty Warriors VS
Kid Icarus: Uprising (for lefty flip)
Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance
Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D
Nano Assault EX
One Piece Unlimited World RED
Resident Evil: Revelations
Samurai Warriors Chronicles 2nd
Steel Diver: Sub Wars

On top of this, Nintendo is making the New 3DS which is planned to be released in Spring of 2015 to North America. This New 3DS will have a C stick nub which is the "equivalent" of a second analog stick. The nub is the size of a button so it would not work too well for very finite aiming needed for FPS games, but will work great for games like Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (which I believe should support the Circle Pad Pro LL) that use the second analog for general movement. If you plan to get this accessory for compatibility with future titles which use the C stick nub, you should just trade in for the New 3DS, as it seems as though Nintendo doesn't plan on continuing support for the Circle Pad Pro LL. For instance, Super Smash bros for 3DS did not support the Circle Pad Pro LL, but the New 3DS C stick nub will be supported.

Pros:
+Must-have for Monster Hunter
+Additional buttons + Circle Pad
+Long Battery life
+Great ergonomics

Cons
-Blocks access to stylus and game card
-Shallow game support/future support
-Too big for pockets
-Need screwdriver to change battery

Overall, I can only recommend this if you plan on putting a lot of time into games that rely heavily on it such as Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Resident Evil: Revelations, or Kid Icarus: Uprising if you're a lefty.

EDIT February 2015
With the introduction of the New 3DS and its c-stick, the Circle Pad Pro has gained a lot of attention particularly from those reluctant to upgrade. In response, at least a couple of future titles have been confirmed to support the Circle Pad Pro including Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, and Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate. I added another star onto my rating since this accessory is still being supported.
on December 31, 2013
Yes I can confirm that this import works for the American version 3DS XL. Also works good. OK that's enough words.
on March 30, 2013
this makes monster hunter so much easier! and it only takes 1 battery to power for a very long time, and you cant tell from the picture, but it adds 2 more triggers.
on February 15, 2015
I was a bit worried that this wouldn't work with my US 3DS XL, but after unwrapping it the item itself has "Nintendo 3DS XL/ Nintendo 3ds LL" engraved on it and it did work despite being in a Japanese box. It requires a AAA battery, but one is included so you do not need to worry right away. The XL easily attaches to the system and it can be popped off without much pressure so it shouldn't scuff up your 3DS's paint.

Its very awkward to hold at first, and I'm still not fully used to it, but since I don't want to shell out another $200 for the "New" 3DS XL I'm glad that I can have full use of the camera for only a bit extra.

The one thing I really do like about the CPP is that, at least for me, It really helps me to maintain the 3D effect without holding the DS differently than I usually would. I always have to hold the DS a bit to the left to have the images combine and look right, and since the CPP adds a bit of extra space to the right, it works out perfectly for me.

While Its not very convenient to carry around nor too comfortable to hold, It works fine and actually helps me a lot so I like it.
review image
on February 27, 2014
First and foremost, if you wanted to know if the LL version ( Japan ) will work for the XL version ( US )
you don't have to research anymore. it works flawlessly.

If you hate the size of the XL, or find it already comically large, then this will not do anything
to change your perception. The Nintendo 3DSXL paired with the circle pad pro makes the unit
pretty large and almost unwieldy. But, it really lets you spread out your hands and it feels
extremely comfortable especially if you have larger hands.

The unit is powered by a single AAA battery that is included with the package. You insert it into the base of the
unit, via a flap that is opened either by a screwdriver or a coin.

This in turn powers the infrared port on the unit, which acts as the relay to your 3DSXL.

I've tested playing it on two games so far, Resident Evil and Monster Hunter. Both are playable without
the Circle Pad Pro, but the games are extremely difficult to play without the accessory. Case in point,
you cannot run and shoot in Resident Evil without it.

The downsides are pretty large though.

First, when you must place the game inside your 3DSXL before you attach the Circle Pad Pro as the
accessory BLOCKS the cartridge slot. Terrible design choice, but I guess it makes sense since....

You cannot use the Circle Pad Pro with any game that does not specifically support it. None of the buttons
on the Circle Pad Pro work with a non-supported game. This wouldn't be so much of an issue except that
the L and R buttons are covered by the accessory making it mandatory to remove.

So, unless you plan to play a circle pad pro supported game, and a circle pad pro supported game only,
you will have to carry this accessory separately.

Pros
[+++] Makes supported games, extremely intuitive and easy.
[+++] The spacing of the device makes it more comfortable for people with larger hands.

Cons
[----] It makes the 3DSXL comically large and non-jeans friendly.
[----] Non-supported games are totally unplayable with the accessory attached.
[----] The design of the unit blocks off the cartridge port.