Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: RF Circuit Design, Second Edition
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 25 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on December 26, 2007
We have used Chris's book for training and refreshing engineers for years. We have literally worn the cover off and I can't begin to tell you how many pages have been dog eared for future reference. The previous comments regarding "outdated" are, in my opinion, misguided since the focus of this book is more on the fundamentals and foundation of RF circuit design which HAS NOT changed since the first edition of the book was written. The information in this book is diverse and condensed very well. We haven't purchased the 2nd edition yet, but likely will in the new year to replace our reference copy.

If Chris's book sounds too technical, you may want to start with Jon Hagen's "Radio Frequency Electronics" or if you are more into the magnetics side of it try Jerry Sevick's "Transmission Line Transformers". Lastly, if you need some general testing guidance, Joseph Carr's book "Practical Radio Frequency Test & Measurement" will likely be of some benefit.

Having worked with the industry leaders in this field, I can honestly say that Chris and his colleagues are among the best in the industry and Chris's experience shows in the content of this very fine work.
on May 23, 2012
Best book purchased regarding RF Circuit design. Author easily explains everything from the basics through advanced topics in an orderly, planned tutorial-driven approach. Reading it is like a class in RF design with explained, detailed exercises, leaving nothing to guess. You will want to build these circuits just to see them work. Enthusiastically written which gives the reader confidence in RF circuit design and analysis.
on July 4, 2015
I'm a mechanical engineer whose always been interested in learning more about electrical engineering. I wanted to understand how communications and RF circuits worked and possibly designing some remote controlled robot some day. I decided to start with this book since most reviews state that this is a great book to start.

I like how this book takes small steps to show how circuits behave in the context of RF and how even the construction of certain components can impact the performance of a circuit. I mean, in DC circuits a resistor is a resistor and will always behave like a resistor, but I'm fascinated that a wire wound resistor could potentially behave more like an inductor at certain frequencies and so care must be taken when considering components. If I had bought a cookbook I'd have assumed I could buy any component and stick it on a bread board and have a radio controller in no time at all.

I especially like seeing how it will prove a point with some simple step-by-step calculations. I'm amazed by how easy this book is to digest. When I first got this book I was hoping to learn how to attach an antennae to a circuit board and make it communicate with another circuit but I'm pleasantly surprised that I'm learning about good RF circuit design. I can't wait to pick up an antennae design book.
on January 9, 2012
This is by far one of the best RF books I have read for practical application and not just a bunch of theory and useless derivation. I am not a dedicated RF engineer but a design engineer whose products are starting to involve RF and antenna devices and I have found this book to be a great reference.
on September 22, 2013
I have the older version of this book (the brown covered one with the Dominoes on it).
I also have this version, which has several updated chapters.
This is a great book for anyone's library who works with RF design.
I still reach for it after 20+ years very often.
on April 22, 2013
This is a how-to book. How-to make inductors, how-to design resonant circuits and filters, how-to match impedances, how-to use a Smith chart, and on and on (I'm assuming because I'm only on chapter 4). I like this book because I leave every chapter with a new skill.
There are a few minor typos and I had to go back and review ac fundamentals, but those are not complaints. Great book with excellent web references in bibliography.
on October 14, 2014
I was recommended this book by a couple of senior RF Design Engineers so this book DOES have useful practical knowledge. I highly recommend this book to any individual interested in the field of RF Engineering. The content matter in this book is easy to comprehend and does not require a deep and extensive knowledge of the subject. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and applying the concepts in projects etc. 5 stars for me.
on August 26, 2010
I've searched for a practical book on the subject, and written well in clear English. I recognize that it may not be profound(theoretical)enough for some readers, but I think that practical application was the authors' focus.
on January 22, 2013
This is one of the most readable technical books I've read. I bought it to help with a home hobbyist project. I have a mechanical engineering background and used to work for a large electronics firm that manufactured commercial communications equipment and cell phones. I wish I would have had this book then as it would have be a great aid in woking with electrical engineers.
on April 1, 2014
The first one was great. This is even better. Gives good info about latest EDA software products and applications. Some EDA programs mentioned are very inexpensive. Student version of MATLAB can be purchased for $99 and the RF toolbox for only $30 more. Very powerful. Also mentions SmithMatch from Microwave Software that also has a program called OptiMatch for optimization. I'm using MATLAB with RF toolbox to go through the problems in the book.