5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Resource to build up on, July 26, 2011
This review is from: CMOS Circuit Design, Layout, and Simulation, 3rd Edition (IEEE Press Series on Microelectronic Systems) (Hardcover)
I took a class this Spring which was taught by Dr.Jake's P.hD student. I was taking the course remotely. I had access to the full fledged Cadence tools. And with the CMOS book at hand, solving the home work problems and running the examples provided on the CMOS.edu website, provided me enough grounding on the wonderful, yet arcane subject of CMOS Analog Circuit Design. If you are beginner like me with some board level/block level understanding of the basic circuit building blocks, then this books is for you. The explanation is no-nonsense and very lucid enough to grasp the ideas. In the course that I attended, we covered the chapters 21-24, bulk of which is on Single stage Op-Amps and Two stage Op-Amps and frequency compensation. The topic on RHP Zero compensation and Feed forward compensation take the cake.The narration is very engaging for leisurely paced,self study. The book examples are available in the "Free as in beer" Lt-spice simulator format too, if you are broke like me and cant afford the Cadence Spectre tool-set.

With this book and Razzavi(another tome) one has sufficient fire power in their arsenal to go building their next Silicon sandbox!. Overall based on my personal experience- 5 Stars. He even has posted his lectures online archived as on-demand videos on the cmos.edu website and his style of Pedagogy is very unique. Check it out!.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy, intuitive and tons of examples!, December 9, 2012
After dealing with Analysis and Design of Analog Integrated Circuits in one of my graduate courses, I found reading this book a pleasure. The author develops your intuition in a way that make your grasp the concepts instantly. First he presents the theory in a simple and clear way and then he analyses the different circuit topologies in a pure rigorous way (you need to do some algebra after all) but with clear explanations about the procedure. After that, he presents the same solution to the problem from a different point of view, leaving the algebra aside and making you understand what is going on using an intuitive approach. Finally, and this plays an important role in the book, he persuades you to verify the results using SPICE. But hey, don't think that you need to write the netlist of every example, the author has done that for you! The companion website [...] is an authentic gold mine for students, seriously, he has put a lot of effort into making all the examples available for serveral SPICE simulators like hspice, LTspice, spectre, silvaco, electric... There are even videos and tutorials on how to use these tools. Even more? Yes! If you feel like learning on your own, you can watch all the lectures of the different courses that he taught at Boise University! This website is pricesless! I wish my teachers were 1/10th as good as he is.

The key concepts are repeated over and over through the chapter so you will never feel lost in the middle of a bunch of equations like it has happened to me when reading "Gray & Meyer". If you are looking for a real text book, this is it! You won't regret! If you are looking for another reference to complement this piece of art, don't go for "Grey & Meyer" because it is boring to death ("pain is good!" (sic)), go for Analog Integrated Circuit Design. instead and that is all you need.

I would like to thank the author for all the effort he put in creating the most brilliant book that I've read in CMOS IC design so far. Thank you Jake Baker!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, November 9, 2010
A great book for all students in different level,
especially graduate students
covered so many topics in a short and decent way
All analog designers should have a great book about new digital circuitry,
this book is a great example of a combination of analog and digital circuits

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, September 4, 2011
This book is one of the best books that I have read on CMOS IC. It is very easy to understand the ideas that the author is trying to get across and is also a good reference to all phases of IC Design from circuit design and simulation to layout..I recommend this book highly..

5.0 out of 5 stars Our #1 Book, April 2, 2014
I own, and have read, most of the analog books. If I want to understand a concept, Razavi is the one I go to. If I want to actually build the thing, I go to this book.

In my company, this book is the most recently referenced book by the analog designers.

I bought this book during my masters, when I was having trouble getting an intuitive understanding of analog transistors. He approaches the subjects in a different direction that other books. At first, it seems kind of random - but it isn't. I found this book is the one that finally gave me the "ah hah" moment. Without this book, I might still be struggling in my masters. I strongly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice format, Great content, December 17, 2013
Step-by-step, thorough and comprehensive introduction to the CMOS technology. I personally think this is a must-have textbook for electronics students or engineers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, October 12, 2013
I like this book. Really great quality.
Compared to my friends' book, mine is cheap and better.
But the shipment is slow. I wait for a long time to get it. It's almost 2 weeks I think,

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book by a great author, September 20, 2013
Good book by a good author.
I bought it as a IC design engineer to get some updated information on IC design.
I was not dissapointed.

One thing I found quite helpful was his coverage of charge injection.

Does a good job on fully differential design and common-mode feedback.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good expansion from 2nd edition, February 10, 2013
The several hundred pages of new material since the 2nd edition are very useful. Excellent book with excellent design insight

5.0 out of 5 stars Good reference book, May 2, 2013
Very informative, and intuitive approach to analog design techniques. Design examples are practical approaches to actual real world designs. Excellent for student, yet crucial for professionals

$143.00 $101.48