4.0 out of 5 stars Grab Yourself a Ringside Seat
Last year's "Blackout" was a strong pop record that sold well, peaking at #2 on the Billboard charts and yielding a handful of hit singles. "Circus," therefore, represents more of a personal than musical comeback for Spears.

Published on December 2, 2008 by Rudy Palma

3.0 out of 5 stars Simple songs but good
Each song is simple and packed with digital sound effects. Every song is mid-tempo and unfortunately there is not a heavy rock song on here like "You drive me crazy". Expect a lot of techno beats and Madonna-esque music.

I reviewed the best songs on circus:

Womanizer - A, mid-tempo dance track
Circus - B+, same
Out from under - A+,...
Published on February 10, 2009 by the smart guy

4.0 out of 5 stars Grab Yourself a Ringside Seat, December 2, 2008
This review is from: Circus (Audio CD)

The good sense to release "Womanizer" - a chugging, energetic slice of guilty pleasure dance/pop with no self-conscious lyrical connection to Spears' personal life - as the lead single for the album - her second #1 single and first of the late 2000s - has certainly paid off.

"Circus" contains many potential smashes, suggesting it may have a shelf life of significant length. The naughty "If U Seek Amy" is all sass and swagger, and the title track percolates and bubbles with hyperactive energy. "Lace and Leather" is spare, sexy sensuality with its downbeat tempo and spacey synths, and "Kill the Lights" is an out-the-ballpark smash with its frothy tempo changes and matter-of-fact, detached vocal delivery.

It may take a few plays for the hooks to settle in, but these are songs are not Disney radio-fodder pop machinizations to be forgotten by next week. These hooks are contagious and, most importantly, completely fun.

Spears again attempts light, melancholy balladry in the vein of "Sometimes" and "Everytime (sp: Every Time)" after last year's "Blackout" was wall-to-wall sexual energy and party jams. "Unusual You" is a new variation on "Everytime" with a cushier, more understated hook that could spell surprise mega-smash, although such could also happen for full-throttle breakup ballad "Out From Under," even if its lyrics lean toward the overly literal. The soft, devotional "My Baby" provides a strong, unexpected conclusion.

Surprisingly, "Circus" is not a pure cotton candy/crackerjack sugar rush. Such a description is truer of "Blackout," which was unpretentious fun from top to bottom. Rather, it is "Circus" that is the more ambitious, mixed record, and, most importantly, it works where it should.

This deluxe edition contains a DVD including behind-the-scenes footage and the "Womanizer" video, 2 bonus tracks ("Rock Me In" and "Phonography") as well as a 2-sided poster.

5.0 out of 5 stars Britney Deluxe (Back Where She Belongs), December 2, 2008
This review is from: Circus (Audio CD)
I have to tell you I started listening to the album tracks weeks ago and loved about 13 out of the 15 songs that were going to be in the deluxe version. I bought the album of course today, had to go to 3 stores to find it (Walmart and Target were sold out so had to go to Best Buy) well worth it. My top songs of the album are Womanizer, Unusual You, If You Seek Amy, Circus, Out From Under, Kill The Lights and Phonography. Special Bonus in the Deluxe is the DVD (Interview about the making of the album), the directors cut of womanizer video, and a photos section (this part was not the best only has about 5-6 photos) but all is foregiven Britney is back with a vengeance...This deluxe edition definately worth it..you hear that Beyonce.

5.0 out of 5 stars Britney gets crazy again - in a good way!, December 2, 2008
This review is from: Circus (Audio CD)
The best Britney album to me so far before "Circus" was "In The Zone", it was something about that album that was very layered and adventurous with its songs that made it stand out way past last years "Blackout" (also a great album but very one dimensional, and it gets old FAST).
Britney returns to her adventurous roots with "Circus", a layered, genre hopping, fun listen thats not as instantly catchy as "Blackout" but ultimately, holds up very well and is without a doubt her best album to date.
Because of how the album has a variety of different sounds, it has much more longevity than the synth heavy, distant "Blackout".

You get your dance songs, always top of the rank, and AMAZING.. Womanizer, Circus, If U Seek Amy (Pop perfection, you have to listen to this), Kill The Lights, Mannequin.

You get the ballads, Out From Under and My Baby which are very good sweet songs that is a complete joy to listen to after not having Britney Ballads for years.

And the great mid-tempo songs like the amazing Shattered Glass, Blur and Unusual You..

The only song I cant get into is Mmm Papi, but its still an OK song, I just need some time with it.

Overall, this is such a worthy purchase. Its her best album to date.
She has definitely matured as an artist and is finally coming into her own.

The Deluxe Edition has the DVD with the Womanizer video and the Making of, which I highly reccomend. PLUS the bonus songs Phonography and Rock Me In which are surprisingly great for bonus tracks.

Recommended definitely! Join the Circus today!

5.0 out of 5 stars 15 Singles!!!!, December 3, 2008
Love her or hate her, you have to admit, the B knows how to make a hot track! "Womanizer" is an awersome first single, but it's just a taste of what this album has to offer! "Circus" is a steller track and second single. But it gets better. Some of the highlights on the album are definately the Britney Ballads - "Out from Under" "My Baby" and especially "Unusual You" are really really great and show that she can sing. My favorite track is "Kill the Lights" it's so hot, and actually has unique lyrics that apply to Britney (think Piece of Me only 10000x better).

"If U Seek Amy" is a fun romp that'll give the middleschool kids a new catch phrase, "Mmm Papi" sounds like summer fun by the pool. "Mannequin" is another favorite that has a rockin' beat and more britney-themed lyrics. Honestly I love every track so much, just when I thought "Blur" was going to be my least favorite, it's now grown on me so much that I listen to it non-stop. There's really not a single bad track.

The Deluxe edition has two bonus tracks that are really freakin' amazing. "Phonography" has a sexy trancey synth and "Rock Me In" is just tons of fun. The deluxe also includes a really cool DVD that'll make it a must for all fans.

CAN'T WAIT TO SEE HER IN CONCERT!

4.0 out of 5 stars Grab Yourself a Ringside Seat, December 2, 2008

5.0 out of 5 stars Wlcome Back Britney!!!!!!!!, December 2, 2008
This review is from: Circus (Audio CD)
I love this album! It's better than "Blackout" in my opinion.

1. Womanizer - (10/10) First single from the album. I love it! It's so catchy and fun. It's sounds like a cross between "Radar" and "Ooh Ooh Baby."
2. Circus - (10/10) Second single from the album. It's a great track with an amazing middle 8. The music video will definately be awesome too.
3. Out From Under - (10/10) This song is a cover of a song off The Bratz movie soundtrack. Who knew a song from the Bratz movie soundtrack could turn into a fantastic Britney track?
4. Kill The Lights - (10/10) Produced by Danja, same guy who produced "Gimme More," "Break The Ice," etc. The song has a fresh new sound different from "Blackout," and I'm really liking this song.
5. Shattered Glass - (8/10) Not my favorite song on the album, but it's still great. Sounds kinda sorta similar to Britney's 2001 song, "Cinderella."
6. If U Seek Amy - (10/10) Insanely catchy. First Max Martin song Britney's done since 2001's "Britney." It's a fun play on words with a rememberable chorus.
7. Unusual You - (10/10) I love the mellow sound of this song. It's production reminds me of songs from "In The Zone," which is a very good thing.
8. Blur - (10/10) Similar in style to "Unusual You," I love the lyrics and overall sound of the song.
9. Mmm Papi - (7/10) I like the overall sound of the song. But the "Mmm papi, love you, mmm papi love you" sounds really cheesy and out of place in the song.
10. Mannequin - (10/10) Great danceable song with good lyrics too, pretty catchy also.
11. Lace And Leather - (8/10) I love the old-school sound of this song, however it's not one of favorites on the album, but I still enjoy listening to it very much.
12. My Baby - (7/10) Not my favorite. I know Britney wrote the lyrics and it's very personal, but it's not as good as "Everytime" which was produced by the same guy that produced "My Baby." Britney said that the song was written very fast, so maybe that's the reason it's not up to par with some of her other ballads.
13. Radar - (10/10) OK, I love this song and all, but it was already on "Blackout." I wish Jive records gave us a brand new bonus track instead.
14. Rock Me In - (10/10) I love this song, and the electric guitar that plays in it, very catchy. One of my favorites.
15. Phonography - (10/10) Great song that is a euphanism for phone sex. Very catchy, and I love the production work on this song.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think "In The Zone" will always be my favorite Britney album, but I really love "Circus" a lot. My favorite tracks on it are: "Womanizer," "Circus," "Kill The Lights," "If U Seek Amy," "Unsual You," and "Rock Me In."

5.0 out of 5 stars All eyes on Britney..., December 2, 2008
DBLM "MLVC Fan" (Pacific, WA. United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Circus (Audio CD)
It's hard to be a Britney fan...there's so many people out there who don't understand her value as an entertainer. And at the end of the day, I find myself a fan because I really enjoy her music, performances, and am riveted by her past and continuing journey as a person and artist/performer (check out the documentary if you want to know who Britney Spears really is underneath everything).

It's really too bad that Blackout was so ignored (but understandable considering Britney's personal life at the time of its release), but I'm glad Radar was included on this album (kind of a 'Toxic' part two...though I would have added 'Heaven On Earth' instead (a beautiful pop song I wish more people could hear).

Circus is a great CD, one you can tell Britney and her team worked reasonably hard on. Most of the songs sound pretty similar (I felt Blackout provided a bit more variety), but that doesn't take away from their quality and fun.

Britney co-wrote 'MMM Papi', 'Mannequin', 'My Baby', and 'Rock Me In'...just in case anyone was wondering.

This deluxe CD is great (more proof as to how much they're trying with this record), and includes 2 songs not on the standard version (both, 'Phonography' and 'Rock Me In' are tons of fun), and a short documentary about the making of the album (it's about 10 minutes long). The poster is silly (one side is the back of the album and the other is the sitting pose in front of the sky background), but a nice touch.

Bottom line: Britney is back to work, and Circus is definitely worth a listen.

Bring on the tour!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Circus is pure pop heaven!, December 3, 2008
Blink (California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Circus (Audio CD)
I love this album, and can't get enough of it.

My favorites: Womanizer, Circus, If U Seek Amy, Unusual You, Lace and Leather
My least favorites: Blur, My Baby

The songs are fun, the beats are edgy -- I really can't think of anything bad to say. Glad to see Britney is finally coming back on top.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nearly Pop Perfection, December 3, 2008
Geminiguy (Bloomington, IN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Circus (Audio CD)
While I like the song Womanizer, I have to admit that it really isn't a great song. It is a song that is boosted by its very-hot video. Still, the catchiness of the song is undeniable and it stays in your head long after it is over.
"Circus" is a collection of songs that are mostly uptempo and they all seem to follow what the lead single indicated. This is an electro-pop album and in many ways, it is pop perfection. The title song is a merry go round of beats and fun lyrics and Britney has a lot of fun expressing how she loves to be the center of attention.
And she is the center of attention on the entire album. She even proclaims herself the "Queen" of pop in the song "Kill the Lights" even though many will still view her as a pop princess.
What we get on this album is a more direct focus on sexuality. The sexually charged "Mmm Papi" is fun to listen to... (some have said it represents her "daddy" fetish... but several female singers have songs that refer to their lover as their "daddy"... for some reason... so singeling Britney out for this is a bit unfair) and the song "If U Seek Amy" is all about her being the naughty minx that she is... reveling in her inner temptress. It took me a little bit to figure out what the title was actually saying but once someone else helped me figure it out... wallah... suddenly the song makes sense.
A misstep is taken with the ballad "My Baby" which reminded me too much of her big hit "Everytime" for some reason.
But my favorite song on this album comes in the form of another ballad. "Out From Under" is a lovely song about getting over someone who was a massive part of your life. It is song that I relate to on a very personal level. I'm sure there are others who will too.
The album is capped off with "Radar" which was on her last album, but I like the song anyway and since I have yet to get her last album, I am glad its here.
So overall, a solid listening experience. She may not be a pure singer, but she is entertainment... and is showing the potential to be our generation's Madonna.
Come to the Circus y'all!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional... considering everything., December 4, 2008
This review is from: Circus (MP3 Music)
The variety of songs on this album is refreshing. There is something for everyone. When you consider this young woman was hospitalized only eleven months before this album was released... I think she's done an amazing job. She has clearly worked her butt off, literally and figuratively.

Circus
Circus by Britney Spears (Audio CD - 2008)