5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and iconographic, March 18, 2003
Helen Kim (Seoul Korea (South)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Circus Girl (Hardcover)
This is an excellent book for children, both artistically and as a story. The story is about a little girl that is a member of a circus and her quest to discover what "average" people do in their everyday lives. The artwork reminds one of Piccasso's earlier drawings and has the iconographic quality that speaks to one's innermost thoughts. I suspect that there are many adults who would love this book as much as their child would.

4.0 out of 5 stars Turning the world Upside Down, February 24, 2013
This review is from: Circus Girl (Hardcover)
A year after Jack's soggy debut, The Happy Rain, he continued his winning ways with Circus Girl. This book is the only other to have Maurice's drawings; they are more subdued here. The girl is Flora, a clever choice among the circus fauna. Figures Jack was a circus boy, all that strange flash and sizzle. Back in '57, a circus was a much bigger deal. Today it has to have all the punch of a Las Vegas indoor show. I do not think we are better for it, but perhaps the working animals are.

Jack is busy turning the tables, putting the shoe on the other foot, and showing us the world from the far side. Inverting perspective is easier for children than the ossified imagination of most grown-ups. But Jack knew that these inversions are healthy for children -- both fun and instructive, they limber the brain for taking in as much as can be. So many children's books are hammering home some point. This one unfurls the sails.

For example, it is Flora, the performer, who dreams about the people in the audience at night rather then they of her. It is she who "runs away" sort of, to join -- the regular folk. Jack plays wit dreams within dreams, or what seems as what happens awake. We are not quite sure. I tried hard to trace my way back to see how he had gotten us there, or is it here?

Somehow he nets the ineluctable. When Flora tells Lion that, when she was even younger, she had thought the audience turned into purple smoke every night, after the show. Imagine how prominent the tobacco smoke was in those quiet, empty tents fifty years ago. Then the people are reconstituted for the next show. This perception rings true for children of a certain tender age. All makes a story for reading aloud and having some conversation.

I gave four stars only in comparison with The Happy Rain. Otherwise it is six stars in a drab world of trying too hard to be "educational" or worse, to be a good little consumer-in-training. This is a book for meeting your child and being amazed at what happens next.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great off the wall story, April 28, 2013
This review is from: Circus Girl (Hardcover)
My daughter and I love reading this unusual kid's story from the perspective of a girl who lives in the circus. A lovely story about not being afraid of the unknown.

5.0 out of 5 stars Circus Girl book by Jack Sendak, June 17, 2012
Circus Girl book by Jack Sendak

I thought I gave this book to my daughter who is a circus performer as is rest of family, years ago. Only when Maurice Sendak died was I reminded. Ordered Jack's book immediately, sent it off to my daughter who is recovering from surgery. I love the book and so did she of course.

The illustrations and the story itself are quite charming and unforgettable.

Thank you for making it available from Amazon (my favorite retail merchant - just wish the economy would upswing itself). So I can purchase some much needed items from you!

Thanks, Mali

4.0 out of 5 stars kinda trippy, but nice, June 13, 2009
E. Winner (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Circus Girl (Hardcover)
our family are huge fans of maurice and jack sendak, and this book is no exception, but unlike "the sign on rosie's door" and "the happy rain", this is not a book that the kids ask to read daily. it kinda freaked them out, in fact, when we first got it, and still has a kind of spooky mood to it, even though we know it's "safe" at this point, from having read it several times. it's about a girl who grows up in the circus who wants to understand what the audience members---normal people---are like. that's all fine and dandy, but the spooky part is how she imagines them and the nightmare she has about what they're like. as i said, it all comes out fine in the end (she realizes they're just like circus folk, not strange or creepy), just has a bit of an unsettling mood to it.

Circus Girl
Circus Girl by Jack Sendak (Hardcover - October 15, 2002)
$19.99 $15.13