5.0 out of 5 stars Overall another good show

Published on May 16, 2006 by N. Sytkowski

5.0 out of 5 stars Overall another good show, April 17, 2006
aeni (Tucson, AZ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cirque Du Soleil - Corteo (DVD)
Any Cirque show is best seen live but owning the DVD also shows you more than the show did. The film version was shot over 2 different shows on the same day and all the closeup shots done without an audience to protect both the performers and audience. Because of these shots, the film is able to give more depth to the story and helps to add to the plot itself. The show is in a word "beautiful" (or "heavenly") due to the simply vintage costumes and complicated set which transports you to these different memories and the reality going on stage. Corteo includes all the "normal" Cirque themes about hope, humanity, life, and image juxtaposition. This show is in no way scary for children at all as anything evil, demonic, or even a "freak show" is severly lacking.

The music itself is in it's own category by Cirque standards. It is less operatic (1 male and female singer are seen once in awhile, but rarely) but is more mystical, "Godfather"-esque, classical music, classical guitar, heavenly choir, and an organ help to make up the score. The CD release has been pushed back until later this year. Porque?

The DVD "extras" include an Intimate Theatre piece not included in the edited play run time but is included in the live show, "A Day in the Life of Corteo Artists" follows an acrobatic couple from Corteo on their average show day, "Filming Corteo" includes all of the information included above about filming, and a "Creating Corteo" which resembles an HBO behind the scenes creation process and character explaination in 25 minutes. The only problems that I found with the DVD itself was in the menu run times - they're shorter than 5 seconds of animation and a single sound clip from the music. It can become annoying if you leave the room for a minute. There is also no closed caption or subtitle feature - so you better know your Italian if you want to know what The Dead Clown is saying!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but Cirque Du Soleil has done better, May 16, 2006
This review is from: Cirque Du Soleil - Corteo (DVD)
I am a huge Cirque Du Soleil fan. I have seen almost every touring show live with the acception of SALTIMBANCO, and have seen every resident show acept "O" , ZUMANITY, and their newest resident show "The Beatles LOVE". I have just about every CD and DVD, so when I learned that they were coming out with a DVD of their latest touring show CORTEO I bought it right away. The filming itself in HD makes the experience all the more real and like your there seeing it live. Unfortunatlly, I was suprisingly not awed by the show. There are some acts that did amaze me, but the majority of the show didn't have the usual Cirque amazement to it. I was disapointed when I finished watching the DVD, I'm not saying that I disliked it, just that I have seen live (and bought the DVD) of other Cirque shows where I'm left in amazement and not wanting the show to end. For CORTEO it was the oposite, I found myself wondering when it would be over.

Perhaps I am being a bit harsh in my critique, that is probably due to the fact that I am a long time Cirque fan and have seen better. I will admit that I have not seen CORTEO live yet due to the fact that it hasen't come to Boston (but will be towards the end of the summer).

This is a wonderful kids show, I found most of the acts appealing to the "new" Cirque Du Soleil fan. By that I mean, as mentioned before I am a long time Cirque fan and have seen better shows. However, I think that someone just discovering Cirque Du Soleil will enjoy CORTEO, for you new fans I highly and strongly recomend looking at VAREKAI, ALEGRIA, QUIDAM and DRALION.

The music is also unlike any other music from Cirque shows. I did not dislike the music, yet on the other hand I did not enjoy it as much as I have for other Cirque shows. I do not know if I will buy the CD when it comes out which is change since I ususally cannot wait for the soundtrack to come out.

But I say try it, if you have seen it live then buy the DVD and remember what it was like to see live under the big top.

However, if you are expecting to see something equal to VAREKAI ALEGRIA,QUIDAM and DRALION, I would recomend not buying CORTEO. Vintage Cirque Du Soleil is VAREKAI, ALEGRIA, QUIDAM, and DRALION. I do not know what path Cirque is trying to take, but I hope its not the path of CORTEO otherwise fans of the shows mentioned above will be disapointed.

Cirque Du Soleil took a huge step forward in changing its idenity with their resident show KA (which I was fortunate to see and loved every second of) in Las Vegas. They took a small step backwards with CORTEO, but as a long time fan I am not at all about to give up on them, I know they will reveal a new touring show in the year(s) to come and it will be back up to their potential.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great transfer, worth the time., September 20, 2008
Another one of those Blu presentations that had the customers watching for upwards of 20 minutes in the store. I was worried about how the grain/darklit features would look on the display, which in turn would have people asking that dreaded First Knight question of "are all the BDs that bad?"...but after watching the entire presentation several times on a standard/non-tweaked setting LCD - I was surprised how great it looked.

The colors come thru vibrantly and contrast nicely with all of the dark backgrounds. The horse scenes and golf tee sequence look outstanding for testing line clarity with bright colors. The multi-color light/reflection sequences looked great and people were commenting often on how great the color looked for an indoor presentation.

The sounds were adequate for a compressed channel display - and of course came through beautifully on a 5 channel set I tried later. Even on the plasma display I was pleased with how the darks/grays looked.

The special features are all from the DVD except for the subs (I believe) as they are shown in 12 languages. The BD disclaims that the overall grain structure was retained for this presentation, but I think the whole performance looked great in HD and I am not sure why another reviewer had color problems, they looked perfect across the board.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally Engrossing Operatic,Dramatic,Fantastic, August 7, 2006
This review is from: Cirque Du Soleil - Corteo (DVD)
CORTEO is not greatly related to the other Cirque shows in that the Drama,use of dramatically rich deep tones and the magnificent musical score could (and have done so to me)take you back in time to the richness of past centuries. Corteo involves the complete cast for most of the peformance as they either play instruments or sing in chorus. Yes, there are lovely and clever circus performances by some of the best artistes around, but they seem to me to take second place, although incorporate perfectly,into this magnificent performance.

Not one for the lighthearted La Nouba, Saltimbanco, Varekai lovers, but one which is so far above and beyond all the other Cirques', a treasure, a complete immersion in sound and sight. Such a pity it could not be Rated "OUT OF THIS WORLD" as it certainly deserves, and yes, I will watch it again tomorrow--I'm totally hooked on Corteo.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good show, bad video, December 17, 2006
This review is from: Cirque Du Soleil - Corteo (DVD)
I had the opportunity to see Corteo on tour, and enjoyed it immensely. The latter cannot be said for the DVD of the production. Apaprently the camera crew was unable to deal with the "two-faced" stage of Corteo - about one third of the time, the performers are facing AWAY from the camera, and you, the viewer, will be looking at the backs of the performers far more often than you would have if you were just sitting in the chapiteau.

The bonus features are worth a look, so perhaps renting this DVD rather than buying it is the preferable option. With the video composition as it is, you will not want to watch this DVD twice.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Absolute Favorite!, March 31, 2006
This review is from: Cirque Du Soleil - Corteo (DVD)
I was fortunate to have seen this show live--not once, but twice--last fall when it was in Minneapolis. Of all the Cirque du Soleil shows I've seen live and on DVD this is by far my all time favorite show! The music is absolutely gorgeous, the angels' costumes are beautiful and the humor is wonderful. It is truly a celebration of a clown's life. Needless to say, I highly recommend adding the DVD to your Cirque du Soleil collection--and by all means go see the show live if it comes to your city!

4.0 out of 5 stars CORTEO DVD & Cirque du Soleil, December 30, 2006
This review is from: Cirque Du Soleil - Corteo (DVD)
I am a cirque NUT, having been to every single performance more than once and to many Premier Opening shows in Montreal and Las Vegas. All of the Cirque du Soleil shows are greatly satisfying live. All DVD are very enjoyable to watch to bring back memories of each show, the older shows lack the theatrical spectical of the newer shows. None can replace actually being there to feel the pleasures of seeing people perform these acrobatic feats. Being in the presence of the spectacular display of the performers, lights, music.... All that is Cirque du Soleil is worth every penny. I would recommend ANY & ALL of the DVD's to cirque nuts like myself and to anyone wanting to know what CDS it is about. In my opinion, having been to Corteo's premier and two other performances and enjoyed all of them. I feel the Corteo DVD is the weakest of all the DVD's (my 4 star rating) since it is too choppy, erratic & jumpy and does not hold your interest in any scene. Your eyes are watching something for such a short time it gets kind of irritating and you tend to look away from the screen. But you still get a feel of the show, although it is more like a PREVIEW than the actual performance. The other DVD's hold your interest and you can feel the tension in some dramatic acts. You can also enjoy the comedy in clown scenes. I did not feel any of these feelings from watching the Corteo DVD. Cirque du Soleil in 5 star.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly Amazaing, January 4, 2007
This review is from: Cirque Du Soleil - Corteo (DVD)
Corteo is one of the greatest Cirque shows ever created. This DVD captures almost all the magic of it(because you can never have the same feeling as actually seeing it live ;] ) Even though it is a recording, it is a much better one than Cirque's older ones, like Saltimbanco or other DVDs that had over-lighting or slow-motion shots, which get pretty annoying. The Corteo dvd is amazing, and doesn't make you dizzy after watching it! You'll love the show, performers, set, costumes, and especially the musics, alot of which has been changed recently...so see it live, too!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Wanted: a NON crack-addled editing crew (and Camera crew) to edit the next Cirque Blu-ray release, January 22, 2012
First off you'd have to search the world to find a bigger Cirque fan than me. Ok, maybe that's an exaggeration, seeing as I've seen only four shows (and all in one year to boot), and that I have two shows to attend to- one of them being Amaluna, which I am flying all the way to Montreal to see. But even still, their imagination is just simply unmatched. Mystere is my pick forthe best show on earth and everytime someone tells me they're going to Vegas, I am quick to tell them to go see it. I saw it in the front row and it really is amazing. Now, getting past that.

I only own 3 of their home video releases- Solstrom, Dralion and this. The latter two are great releases, the former of which being always great for a snowy and cold day outside. However, this video is near unwatchable, and for a reason: QUICK EDITING.

Honestly, what could have been a great video is ruined by the MTV style quick editing. It's incredibly dizzying. I thought Muse's HAARP DVD and Iron Maiden's Death on the Road DVD were awful for bad editing, but no, this was worse. None if the shots last a second.

Note to the director: THIS IS CIRQUE. NOT A HEAVY METAL CONCERT.

What's even worse is the camera shots. Half the shots are audience reactions- I've only seen one performance vid before this (and a clip of La Nouba while I was in the Mystere boutique at Treasure Island, waiting for Mystere to start for the 9:30 PM show) and each act was limited to two to four reaction shots. No, in this video, 50-67% of each act is shots of the audience. Again, we want to see the PERFORMERS, not the reactions. Also, very odd choices. A lot of the stunts are filmed at eye level, which is very weird. A particularly weird example is the Korean plank, which is shot entirely overhead. But why? We won't get to get a sense of how high they're flying!!! Dralion has some weird angles too, like the double trapeze which is filmed entirely from the ground looking up, but it does work.

I'm sure the show is great, and I will see it if it comes here but frack me, this was a real mess of a video. Avoid, and don't think the videos will give you the real cirque experience. They won't. To be there in the lower bowl, with the performers jumping into your lap is the real deal, trust me.

5.0 out of 5 stars As brilliant as I expected @}->----, December 22, 2007
Little Miss Cutey (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cirque Du Soleil - Corteo (DVD)
I am such a huge fan of Cirque Du Soleil and I was so disappointed not to be able to see this live in LA while there recently (so instead I bought the DVD in Las Vegas at the boutique at the Bellagio while waiting to see O for the second time).
As always, the custumes, make-up, music and artistry are more incredible than you can adequately describe. And while nothing can compete with actually being there, at least in this dvd you can see the show from all angles. Sometimes you are looking at it like you are part of the audience and other times you are seeing it from up above the stage.
The chandelier scene is one of my favourites. It's at the beginning and there are two huge chandeliers from which the dancers weave in and out of them making it look so easy. There are beds/trampolines which are great - they can jump from bed to bed and one guy is using his headboard as his jumping platform to gain height and do cool flips. One girl does a continuous series of flips which are really cool, until they are all told to go to sleep by a strict man with a whip. Angels float through the air and again, the costumes are fantastic. There is also a tremendous scene with large hoops that is amazing.
I really love this show. I only wish I saw it live. However, this is a very good substitute and you almost feel like you are there in person. I found this totally enjoyable, funny and extremely entertaining. I'd have given this 10 stars if I could and if you are a fan of Cirque Du Soleil, then you'll love this too.

Cirque Du Soleil - Corteo
Cirque Du Soleil - Corteo by Teatro Sunil (DVD - 2006)
$19.99 $14.18